Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2018, 07:14 AM   #1

Curved FG Roof Mounting Bracket Recommendation

My Class A has a curved/radiused fiberglass roof.

What mounting brackets would be recommended to mount 39x39 inch Renogy panels that will compensate for the curve?

I'm not interested in tilting versions. Just too old to keep climbing up on roofs.

Thanks and have a great day!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2018, 06:38 PM   #2

The mounts that AM Solar sell work well for a crowned roof. I couldn't stand their price so I made my own.
pauldub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:59 PM   #3
Community Moderator

for a curved roof, 3" x 3" with 1/4" thick right angle L aluminum structural should do (for flat 2" x 2"). i made mine no problems.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:35 PM   #4

mounting brackets for a curved roof are just taller and maybe heavier.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:49 PM   #5

I mounted 3 of Renogy's 150W, 39"x39" panels to my 5th's compound curvature roof using Renogy's Z brackets. I did straighten out one of the 90 deg bends to a 180 deg, to turn it into a L shaped bracket. 4K miles towing, no issues.
Terryagj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:24 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yep...rocker feet by AMSolar. As someone already stated...if the price is offensive you can fashion your own. VHB tape is easily purchased from Amazon.com

I didn’t think my Stainless Steel fabrication techniques would come out looking as good...and Aluminum would need to be watched carefully for metal fatigue...as I imagine there would be some buffeting and tension up on the roof while dragging a solar panel thru the wind doing 65mpg. Anyone handy with Finite Element Analysis?
Old 01-18-2018, 06:25 AM   #7

I just ordered the curved mounting brackets, 3 sets for the 2 panels. I will double bracket the leading edges of the panels.

What is the preferred part number for the 3M VHB tape? Is it best to also get the adhesion promoter also?

Going to mount the panels on a fiberglass roof and gun shy to drill any hole up there for mounting screws etc.

Now to figure out how to get the panels up there...........I'm no spring chicken and not much available help in the neighborhood. (2) 39x39 panels, 26 lbs ea, one handed trying to climb a 16ft ladder and not tear up the roof or me............should be interesting.

Contacted a dealer to just install my panels, I'd run all wires, hook up the roof coupler, etc. They want 5 HOURS labor just to fasten my panels to the roof.

Uh, don't think so.........
Old 01-19-2018, 10:37 AM   #8

The VHB tape is 3M 4950. You can get it from Amazon.
pauldub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:05 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I refered to some 3M literature comparing bond strength.

My process was to use alcohol and a maroon colored scotchbrite pad to clean the area. Wipe the residue away. Clean one more time with just a cotton terry towel and alcohol. Applied the adhesion promoter and allowed it to dry. Bonded the VHB tape to the area and make sure to apply pressure to get a good bond.

The item is then sealed with dicor self-leveling sealant to prevent the tape from being exposed to water whenever it rains.

I also doubled up on the front brackets that are directly in the slipstream. Just to be sure.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
I refered to some 3M literature comparing bond strength.

My process was to use alcohol and a maroon colored scotchbrite pad to clean the area. Wipe the residue away. Clean one more time with just a cotton terry towel and alcohol. Applied the adhesion promoter and allowed it to dry. Bonded the VHB tape to the area and make sure to apply pressure to get a good bond.

The item is then sealed with dicor self-leveling sealant to prevent the tape from being exposed to water whenever it rains.

I also doubled up on the front brackets that are directly in the slipstream. Just to be sure.
I've worked with FRP sheet in food plants. The bond between the VHB tape and the fiberglass will be stronger than the contact cement holding the FRP to the roof deck.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
Yep...rocker feet by AMSolar. As someone already stated...if the price is offensive you can fashion your own. VHB tape is easily purchased from Amazon.com

I didn’t think my Stainless Steel fabrication techniques would come out looking as good...and Aluminum would need to be watched carefully for metal fatigue...as I imagine there would be some buffeting and tension up on the roof while dragging a solar panel thru the wind doing 65mpg. Anyone handy with Finite Element Analysis?
All the panels I've seen have aluminum frames

A rule of thumb....aluminum is 1/2 as strong as steel but 1/3 the weight.

At the cost stainless one can make alum 4X as thick and have some $$ left over....alum will never look as nice though.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:36 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLOY View Post
All the panels I've seen have aluminum frames

A rule of thumb....aluminum is 1/2 as strong as steel but 1/3 the weight.

At the cost stainless one can make alum 4X as thick and have some $$ left over....alum will never look as nice though.
No body can really see it but me. I was more concerned about metal fatigue. Aluminum is a bit more susceptible to breaking from repetitive loads. I think the stainless steel will outlast me.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:43 AM   #13
Community Moderator

hmmm... i have been using my alum brackets for 5 years... 1/4" on the side is very thick. can't imagine it would ever break off; the 2 retaining screws would have to be pulled off before the brackets would break... hope this will not jinx me .
Old 01-23-2018, 08:22 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer23 View Post

Now to figure out how to get the panels up there...........I'm no spring chicken and not much available help in the neighborhood. (2) 39x39 panels, 26 lbs ea, one handed trying to climb a 16ft ladder and not tear up the roof or me............should be interesting.

Contacted a dealer to just install my panels, I'd run all wires, hook up the roof coupler, etc. They want 5 HOURS labor just to fasten my panels to the roof.

Uh, don't think so.........
i did mine about 2 months ago.

i am in early 60s, how old are you?
my panels were 35lbs each. just by myself, i moved 9 panels down and 11 panels up.
i used a 12' straight ladder leaning to the coach (protected contacts) and a 4' A ladder together with the factory rear ladder for me to go up and down.
i used the straight ladder as sliding rails. from top slowly slid the panel down and pulled the panel up. one at a time.

i have the details in my blog - click on "Blog Entries: 2" under my avatar to the left of this page (if you read this on your smartphone, it's toward the right of my user id on this page).

you can do it! good luck!

Tags
roof