Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2016, 06:06 AM   #1

Dispose of used brake fluid?

I change the brake fluid on our motorhome every few years However, the local auto parts stores that accept used motor oil for recycling will not accept brake fluid. I can use the once a year hazardous waste disposal day provided by our city, but I wonder if anyone has found a more convenient way to dispose of old brake fluid?
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2016, 06:57 AM   #2

Popular Mechanics says to pour it in a pan of kitty litter and let it evaporate over time.

Keep it away from animals though.

Plastic soda bottle for me, then in the trash.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:34 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check fof local hazardous waste stations. People always have oil, battetued, CFL to fudpose of.

Regards,

Dan
Old 02-10-2016, 08:09 AM   #4

First, thank you for not mixing the brake fluid with your motor oil for recycling.
Second, Twinboat has the recommended method.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:48 PM   #5

I just put it in a old coffee can and stuff it with paper towels and stick it in the garbage dumpster.
Happy Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:13 PM   #6
Community Moderator

what makes brake oil unrecycleable? i thought wasted oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, gear oil... are all oil based liquid and can be processed. does anyone know THE answer?
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:18 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It can be recycled, I just think that many places don't.

Maybe contact a brake shop near you?
Old 02-12-2016, 12:14 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Prospector View Post
I just put it in a old coffee can and stuff it with paper towels and stick it in the garbage dumpster.
Where do you find a coffee can now? All I can find are plastic.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:27 AM   #9

Very interesting question George. Here is what Lexington, Ky indicates is the best method for disposal of brake fluid in that city.
LexingtonKy.gov : Household Hazardous Waste

Doesn't Lexington have disposal holding sites? I believe Winchester does, but not sure if they accept all HHW's or just some of them. You have to be a city resident to use it.

I wish manufactures would be required to clearly state what proper disposal practices are for anything they make. Kind of cradle to grave approach to manufacturing.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Very interesting question George. Here is what Lexington, Ky indicates is the best method for disposal of brake fluid in that city.

Doesn't Lexington have disposal holding sites? I believe Winchester does, but not sure if they accept all HHW's or just some of them. You have to be a city resident to use it.

I wish manufactures would be required to clearly state what proper disposal practices are for anything they make. Kind of cradle to grave approach to manufacturing.
Having fifty states with a bunch of regulatory agencies and then the Federal governments complicated rules, I don't think the manufactures have a chance of clearly stating any disposal practice.

Thats why " STOP days "( Stop Throwing Out Polutants ) has become so popular. They hire HazMat companies to handle it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:27 AM   #11

Quote:

Wow! I can't believe how that site tells you to dispose of Antifreeze!

If recycling is not feasible, the homeowner may dilute 2 parts water to 1 part antifreeze and discharge to the sanitary sewer.

I would never consider doing that, and I wonder how many of the other recommendations would stand up in a court of law after you receive a citation!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:36 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Wow! I can't believe how that site tells you to dispose of Antifreeze!

If recycling is not feasible, the homeowner may dilute 2 parts water to 1 part antifreeze and discharge to the sanitary sewer.
Who would be around to see the average automobile owner that performs routine maintenance on their own car(s) pour the properly diluted mixture down their toilet? How often would this be happening nowadays? My guess is the advice wouldn't have been given if it was a problem at the sewage treatment plant.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:39 AM   #13

Hi Bigd9,

Thanks, I already know about our local hazardous waste disposal days. I posted the question here just to see if anyone had found a different (approved) disposal process. However tempting it is to combine brake fluid with my recycled motor oil, I'm just not gonna do this.

Quote:

2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:47 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Who would be around to see the average automobile owner that performs routine maintenance on their own car(s) pour the properly diluted mixture down their toilet? How often would this be happening nowadays? My guess is the advice wouldn't have been given if it was a problem at the sewage treatment plant.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, fluid