RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-15-2019, 12:34 PM   #1

Enclosing and insulating battery bay

I'm looking for some advice and recommendations on how best to enclose and insulate a battery bay. I've got a 2019 Newmar New Aire and I'm going to replace the AGM batteries with a Lithium battery bank. I will have to remove the battery tray to fit the two 600AH Lithionics batteries I'm looking at. The batteries have internal heaters, so I'm not worried about cold, but I'm trying to keep dirt and dust out of the bay and hoping to keep as much heat out as well during the summer.

Anyone have ideas on the best materials and techniques to use?

SteveUpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I was under the impression that a battery compartment needed to have pretty good ventilation due to off-gassing. Is that not true with AGM batteries?

Old 11-16-2019, 06:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
I was under the impression that a battery compartment needed to have pretty good ventilation due to off-gassing. Is that not true with AGM batteries?

Not sure if you are asking about AGM or Lithium.

The existing AGM battery bank doesn't off gas during normal operation. That's why they are zero maintenance.

Lithium batteries don't off-gas at all and are safe to be indoors. Plus Lithium has some temperature limitations that are helped if you seal and insulate and heat/cool to stay within the boundaries. Charging must be done above 32 degrees. And you don't want the battery to get too hot either. Typical high temp cutoff is 115ish.
SteveUpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:27 PM   #4

I beefed up my TT with Styrofoam board, and the foil-plastic bubble insulation. There is a adhesive for foam boardthat fits in a chaukling gun. Also you can get 4x8 foam board with reflective metal foil from most hardware stores. 1 inch thick is about R5. It's easy to cut to line a box with. Some exposure to cabin temperature will help reduce the boxes temperature extremes.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:21 AM   #5

You may want to install exterior wall vents in the box for summer use. They can be blocked off with foam board in the winter. Plenty too choose from hardware stores.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:23 AM   #6

Instead of the standard XPS (extruded polystyrene) I used 2" high density XPS so the batteries wouldn't compress the foam.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/owe...dge/1000155124

A temp controller and a CPU fan can be used to reduce the heat in summer.

I couldn't find any info on Lithionics warranty?

Lithoinics refers to Battleborn as an import. Are Lithoinic cell made in USA?
35' 5thCustomized-16"Frame-240gFW-120gBlack-120gGrey-2"XPSTank Insulation-2x8K TimbrenSTI-TusonABS -900AhCrownFLA -BlueSea8264 -3KVictronMulti+GX+600W Xantrax-2K Solar-ARP Alarm-100gal ASME Propane -50A ProNautic-Propex 2800-2x300C Viair-17.5 Alcoa+TOYO1430
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:44 PM   #7

My battery compartment has cheap Home Depot 2" foam board on all exterior surfaces. Battery weight on it has not been a problem (though the 12x20 LFP weights only 80 lbs). For good measure I filled voids between panels or in odd shaped areas with crack filler foam from a can. The back wall is a barrier between my 5'er basement and the battery compartment and is not insulated. I've camped with outside night temps down around freezing with my LFP only getting down to 46F. However, my solar controllers and 900W inverter are in the battery compartment and contribute a bit of heat. In the warmer months I monitor temperature two ways, via the solar controller's control panel (reads out controller temperature) and the inverter's fan. I can hear it from inside. If either indicates the compartment is getting warm, I open the door a bit. I've only had to do this once over the several years I've had this setup. The LFP barely generates any heat (unlike lead acid) so won't keep itself warm through use. I had planned a fan in the back wall between 5'er basement and the battery compartment if necessary. It would have been used only the once, so I haven't bothered.
hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:53 PM   #8

I've been eyeing our battery compartment location, for when we shift to Lithium. Already use an AGM starter, so not too concerned about outgassing. I'm thinking I'm going to add some vents below our bedroom dresser, that is just over the top of the battery compartment. Then add two 4" or maybe 6" ducts from the battery compartment and the bottom of the dresser. With two fans, one pushing air down from the bedroom, and the other sucking air up out of the battery compartment. Then, in real hot weather, I can have the rear bedroom's AC cooling keep the battery compartment cooler. Not worried about too cold of conditions, as I'll get Lithiums with self heating. (And, get the heck out of Dodge if it's too cold!!!).

I'll insulate, and then seal off most of the air entrances into the lower basement. Some of the tips already mentioned, will be my route...

Best of luck to you,
Smitty

Tags
battery