Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2014, 07:58 PM   #1

Good RV solar installers/do-it yourself systems

I received an e-mail from an Aussie who is traveling the US in a large motorhome and he is interested in solar installation. He wondered about good installers or "mail-order" do-it-yourself systems

He received a PM on his motorhome forum suggesting Renology as mail-order system.

I have read numerous extremely favorable comments about AM-Solar for fabrication and do-it-yourself kits. Others have had somewhat favorable statements about Northern Arizona Wind and Solar.

Should like to offer him any infomation that I might

Reed Cundiff
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2014, 08:03 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Renogy panels are very good (can't recommend their controllers, tho). A&M Solar is also very good. Renogy is a manufacturer and A&M is a reseller. I'd refer your friend to both of those websites to get started; both have good CS and storefronts.

If s/he does not know exactly what they are looking for or how to design it, I'd skip Renogy and go right to A&M Solar.

Though I have heard good things, Arizona Wind and Solar was not much help in my circumstance - just interested in selling me a one-sized-fits-all kinduv package.

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:34 AM   #3

Ken

Thanks. I will send him your thoughts.

Reed
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:42 PM   #4

Thumbs up Discount Solar in Quartzsite

Discount Solar installed a solar system on our coach. Professional, knowledgeable, and friendly. Very clean install. They seem to have what you need. I thought the price was fair. Will return to them if I need more "solar" stuff, including batteries.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:26 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Check out this earlier thread

It lists many solar installer locations.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/good-...es-177762.html
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:35 PM   #6

AM Solar!
Old 12-31-2014, 05:28 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tell him to read this carefully first

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/

AM Solar charged me over $800 to "fix" the non-functioning solar system that I bought online. Bob then made the changes that allowed it to function optimally. I wish I had found Bob first. It would have saved me $400.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:51 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Renogy does not install, they just sell solar panels, i have 5 100 watt monocrystaline panels and is very happy with them.
twohsieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:29 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Solar Mike out of Slab City has gotten good reports from several people, including from the Bayfield Bunch. For DIY'ers Sun Electronics consistently has the lowest panel prices, and their other prices are OK. I have used them for panels and Infinigi for charge controllers, etc.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:58 PM   #10

How complicated can a system be. Just panels/wires/controler. In that other to the battery. How can it not work. Of course some like to complicate system to save a few dollars on wire size. Which is thee least amount of investments.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:29 AM   #11

More Than Meets The Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
How complicated can a system be. Just panels/wires/controler. In that other to the battery. How can it not work. Of course some like to complicate system to save a few dollars on wire size. Which is thee least amount of investments.
Sure, just grab some parts and git some wire and through it together and....TADA!! You got solar.

[moderator edit]

So, be aware that there are many things that can go wrong in designing and installing a PV solar systrem. What's that phrase they say....Oh yeah, "Just sayin".

Larry
I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
BatteryPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:04 PM   #12

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPro View Post
Sure, just grab some parts and git some wire and through it together and....TADA!! You got solar.

I'm poking some fun here because with over 3000 PV solar and RV power systems installed, I can tell you that we have had to repair many DIY and dealer installed systems that could never produce their potential.

Last year one customer brought in his all electric motorhome. He had spent $6400 on a PV solar system which was installed by a "pro". I had to condem the entire installation....rip it all out and start over because nothing was done right. After another $5000 spent with us (we expanded the system size to 1920 Watt) he could almost keep up with his consumption in the all electric coach.

So, be aware that there are many things that can go wrong in designing and installing a PV solar systrem. What's that phrase they say....Oh yeah, "Just sayin".

Larry
so what are the common problems you see in "other" installations.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:18 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can vouch for AM Solar, they did a superb job on our coach last June.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:48 PM   #14

No one installer will tell us what is wrong with others instalations. Its like the famous GM 6.5 and Ford 6.0l
I know I owned both with great satisfaction. They were both known as cash cows.

Tags
install, solar