RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-02-2019, 02:28 PM   #15
Community Moderator

Thanks for correcting me. I will go back check my MS2812. I don't remember I installed that grounding but my inverter is sitting on and bolted on to chassis .

CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2019, 11:34 PM   #16

I called the retailer today and they said I could use 10 or 12 awg wire to ground my inverter to the chassis. They couldn't find anything in the manual stating size of wire for grounding. They also said I could just run the ground from chassis to my negative busbar and I wouldn't need to run a ground wire to my inverter. The negative cable from the inverter to battery passes through my negative busbar so it will be grounded through the busbar. This method seems better for my situation.

Thank you for your assistance.

RVGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:43 AM   #17

You need to be very careful when talking about grounding an inverter. The term ground on the 12 volt side is VERY different then the ground on the 120 volt side. On the 12 volt side people talk of Hot and Ground. On the 120 volt side it's Hot, neutral, and ground. Ground on the 120 volt side will never be over 12 ga on an RV system. The 120 volt case to chassis grounding is really called Bonding not grounding.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:07 AM   #18

Thank you!

I got the feeling the electrical jargon was the issue here. I was misunderstanding the manual and when I posted my question here I still had the same problem. We weren't on the same page. I haven't started wiring the inverter into the panel yet so that's going to be my next challenge.

RVGlen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, inverter