Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2016, 04:58 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Help me with 200-400 Watt RV System

Seems there's a variety of threads but all seem to be on a specific bent, and I had my own, so I thought I would start a new one. I've been reading up on the best way to setup a system and based on that ready to spend a few bucks and get started.

I posted these questions on another forum but no answers. Evidently there isn't enough activity over there and I know we have some pretty knowledgeable folk here, so here goes...

Based on usage calcs and my current battery bank I'm looking at 200-300 watts for our class-A motorhome with 1 pair of GC's. Calc our usage to be 30-50AH give or take and can always run the gen for an hour if panels don't make enough to fully recharge the bank. Current prices are down to about a buck a watt so I figured to start with 2 or 3 100w panels and go to 4 if I find I need a little more. With 2 or 3 panels I expect to get 12-18amps on average and that should be sufficient for what I need.

Here are my questions as I plan to buy components:
1. 2 or 3 100w panels - put one or two on the roof and keep one out for remote placement in the case of shade or low winter sun. Is this worth doing or just put everything on the roof? I have a perfect storage compartment to slide a 21x46 panel into. Would only use it when actually needed. I also have plenty of room on the roof, although the narrower panels are less likely to be shaded with low sun by vent covers, AC etc.

2. For a 400w or less system at 12v seems a PWM controller is sufficient. I really don't have a place to mount a wall unit but have room for a flush-mount controller. I have narrowed it down to a Blue Sky Sun Booster or Renogy Adventurer. The KID seems nice but don't think I need mppt and it's a lot more $$. Can anyone comment on Blue Sky vs Renogy for quality and reliability? The former is about $140 and the latter about $80. Seems like the Renogy is the way to go but not if there are too many failures or if it's too hard to program or read. Good reports on the Blue Sky of course. I think both will handle up to 400 watts of panels, right?

3. Eco-Worthy has 100w panels for $105 shipped - anyone had any issues with these folks or their products?

Before I send my money off and order components I wanted to get some 'professional' feedback.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2016, 05:21 PM   #2

Just installed a 400 watt kit from Renogy-sales and tech support have been great. Cost per SP watt is more like $1.50/watt. Think I would be concerned about buying panels on the cheap unless the vendor was highly rated. Didn't do as much planning as you have but I sort of come to the conclusion that to make much difference on a Class A, you need about 600 watts of panels and 600amp/hours of battery storage. I had 100 watts already so add 400 and have 660 amp/hours of battery storage. Also think the MPPT controller is a better long-term investment for efficiency. Not sure how you would integrate an additional panel on a part time basis. The Renogy kit wires the panels in series [vs parallel] and uses internal diodes in each panel to reduce impact of shade/ shadows. By no means an expert but wanted to offer what I was thinking on a similar RV application.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:38 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like what Renogy has to offer, and they seem to provide good support. I could actually go up to their store/plant here in so-CAL and buy what I need.

AFAIK on poly and mono 100w panels I don't think there's much difference in performance or build quality. Eco-Worthy seems just as big and they charge $45 less per panel and ship no charge, no tax. So it's more like $55 to $60 less. I'm trying to find out what advantage I might have for paying more - panels are a pretty mature technology.

For series wiring you have to go mppt. For parallel then any of the cheaper pwm controllers is fine. For one remote panel just having a plug in port in the feed harness would let you plug it in when you need it, right? I would put one of these on the side of the coach:

Old 09-20-2016, 07:32 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
CJ, First things first, only you can decide how much power is adequate. I'm afraid that you might be short changing yourself when you say "is sufficient". Allow yourself some room to grow. The best advice I received on my first trailer from the salesman was to add 50% to the size of the trailer we were thinking about which we did for growth.
Unfortunately I did not follow that advice when I put the solar system on the new trailer, and after a year and a half I'm ready to double the size of the system and after already drilling mounting holes in the roof that's a hard pill to swallow.
Right now I have 4-160 watt panels and 4 T-145 Trojan batteries.
(On a side note you have a generator where I don't and refuse to have one even if I do have a residential refrigerator.)
Old 09-20-2016, 07:46 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keep in mind we've been dry camping for 15 years on 1 pair of GC batts, RV fridge, practically zero tv, the biggest sink is the furnace and I'm going to add a catalytic heater for the colder temps. When it's hot we either plug in or run the gen for AC. This coach was new 12 years ago - 240 hours on the gen. If I needed it to top up batts I wd have no qualms about doing that, I installed a Iota smart charger/converter. All lighting is led. We spend most of our time outdoors. Furnace is 6ah when it runs.

I'm hoping someone can address my questions here. Who has compared Renogy and Blue Sky side by side?

Anybody using Eco-worthy panels?

Should I bother to keep a panel portable? Hook it up when we actually need it?

If my calcs are right I should be able to get 50ah on average with 2-3 panels.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:54 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is where I'm at today...
Put 2x100w on the roof, renogy adventurer controller. One more portable - have a port to parallel it in when we are actually dry camping and need to charge.
If I find I'm short getting the bank back up each day I can add another panel either portable or roof top for 400 total with either controller.

I have room for at least 6 on the roof, but I don't think we need that much charge power.

Seems like we park in shade about 10% of the time, but being able to tilt panels in winter might a real advantage. Hence portable option.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:05 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Chris,
Solar is a widely discussed topic on many forums, I'm not sure if you have read the basics from the following sites so I'll list them here.

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...-other-things/

Solar Panels & Micro-Hydro | Off-Grid Solar Power Systems

RV Electrical

my concern is the plug you show has very small wire guage, it will be an issue.
hope this helps
kerry
Old 09-20-2016, 08:06 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I realize I could get similar power with a grid-tie type large panel at 250-300 watts and a Mppt controller, like Kid. But then just one panel and nothing portable, if it's shaded we're done for. About the same cost too.

So that's why I've arrived at 12v panels. Plus, they're cheap - about a buck a watt.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:08 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, have read all those.
Can you comment on the renogy controller?
On utilizing portable panels?
Old 09-20-2016, 08:41 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Yes, have read all those. great
Can you comment on the renogy controller? no knowledge
I have no experience, just a EE with a plan for my rv. I plan on roof top for rv, roof top for car trailer, and a couple portable panels. why so many? figure the trailer will be my garage and may not be near the rv for power tools, lights, winch etc. The rv would have roof top to replenish house battery, and portable when I need more or parked in shade. I'm thinking some kind of pvc teepee that could be staked down would work.

roof top may tilt, not sure right now, haven't resolved an easy way without climbing on the roof all the time... some kind of worm drive (low speed dc motor, reversible) on a scissor jack is the best idea right now.

my 2 cents...
Old 09-21-2016, 03:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Yes, have read all those.
Can you comment on the renogy controller?

The BlueSky Solar Charger 30 controller is more sophisticated than the Renogy in that it is programmable. BlueSky has a long track record, Renogy does not. Yes, you can have one or more portable PV modules, but keep an eye on your voltage drops for the wiring between them and the controller; it adds up quickly on a 12 volt system. BTW, that is one of the advantages to using MPPT controllers and portable "series string" modules.

One other note, you don't seem to have anything to monitor the overall state of charge and available amp-hours for your system. Have you thought about adding a monitor? A few of the MPPT units can work with a shunt in order to display the information without having a separate stand-alone display.

Tom - KK8M: UL Certified PV Installer, ISA Level 2 I&C Technician, Licensed Electrician - MI
Old 09-21-2016, 04:08 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks. Yes, some kind of monitor would be a good idea.
I never quite understood what the shunt was or what it did.
I flunked out of electrical and electronic classes in community college. LOL.

I found a local high volume supplier here that has low and high-volt panels for at and below a buck a watt. I need to measure my space and see if a full size grid-tie panel will fit - they have a 320w US made panel for $120. And there are a couple of CL ads with grid-panels for about 50cents a watt - seems they are left-overs on larger projects, so onesie-twosies come up for sale.

The local supplier also stocks The Kid mppt controller which I have never heard a complaint about. Seems to me it indicates charge state as well. According to Midnite Solar their calculator says I should expect about 22ah charge rate if the panel gets direct sunlight. If I could get 15-18 for our 5-hour solar days I'd be happy. They have Blue Sky as well, and MorningStar.

One thing I've seen around the how-to forums is that low-light, as in partial shade or cloudy, the high-volt panels perform much better. Evidently the higher start voltage means even reduced there's enough to get a little 14v charge power out of them.

Other threads have also said a rooftop permanent placement is better since you don't have to mess with setting up panels, and no one is gonna steal them.

High-volt seems less susceptible to line loss as well.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:15 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As for calculations, panels generate ~50-85% of rated output when mounted flat and time of year and latitude depending.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:06 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Vince.
I just read through your setup PDF again. Pretty simple system.

How do you like the Midnite Solar battery level meter? I'm leaning toward the KID and I think something is built in?

160w 12v panels are selling for $160 out here. I may start with 2 of those and a pwm controller and see how it goes. Probably only give about 10amps.

I see you kept two of yours on the ground - how does that work out for you? Do you break them out and use them much?