Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2018, 01:58 PM   #1

Help with Victron MPPT remote display

I installed my solar system that includes the Victron 150/60 controller with the little round remote display. I am looking for help understanding some of the functions (not much info in the manual)

1. Absorption time limit- How long?

2. Absorption voltage? My Trojan J305 spec shows ONLY Bulk charge of 14.82v and Float charge of 13.5v NO absorption charge voltage??

3. Absorption time limit - How long?

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2018, 03:13 PM   #2

Absorbsion voltage is the voltage that is reached at the point the controller drops out of bulk mode.

Actually there is no bulk voltage in battery charging. The charger is at full amp output, called constant current, until it reaches a specific voltage. That is when the charger goes into absorbsion, or constant voltage, mode. The volts are held at that setting as the amps start to taper off due to battery resistance.

According to Victron, the controller sense the battery voltage in the AM, and from that number, decides how long the controller will stay in absorbsion mode, before dropping to float.

If the remote display has absorbsion setting, you may need to call Victron for suggestions.

I've been running my Victron for 2 years and its been doing a great job. I don't monitor its functions, but depend on my battery monitor instead, to keep my batteries happy.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:52 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you Google ME-RC manual...that will let you view a manual for programming the ME-RC remote control for Magnum Inverter that have a built in converter for charging. They have a table of Absorption times based on the total AH capacity of your Battery Bank.

I use the same number...but it’s not a prescribed time...it’s a limit. My Victron always floats too early. I wind up leveling out at around 96% SOC... I’d love for it to stay in absorption long enough to reach 100% SOC... might have to see what Victron says about thier programming...

Old 03-25-2018, 01:09 PM   #4

SOC can be programmed and set.. are you sure your not 100% SOC? Verified with volt meter?
Old 03-25-2018, 01:42 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidrvr View Post
SOC can be programmed and set.. are you sure your not 100% SOC? Verified with volt meter?
I don’t use a voltmeter for SOC, or one of those four LED panels...don’t have time to unhook everything and wait two hours to measure a static voltage.

I have a battery monitor...it uses a shunt to measure aH in and out. When connected to shore power...I routinely have 100% SOC. It’s just that I’ve noticed the Victron Charge Controller floats early when we dry camp..and we top out at 96 or 97% SOC. A shunt is a much more accurate way of measuring Charge state.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:55 PM   #6
Community Moderator

c.martin,
all controllers as i have seen have a threahold of current that dictates when to go into float, mostly 15a or 20a. some allow you to set your own value some don't. your too-soon-to-float might be of that value being a little too high, or simply it couldn't pour more into battery at above threshold value. keep in mind, float doesn't mean it stops charging, it still charges the battery at the best rate it could.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:25 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am of the opinion that my charge settings...even though matched exactly to those of my MS2812...are too low. Unfortunately, Victrons idea of temperature compensation involves a sensor inside the case of the Solar Charge Controller. After a year of design work, they just introduced a new product called the Smart Battery Sense. It measures the voltage and temperature on the battery...and sends it to other Victron devices using the VE.Smart Network (Bluetooth LE). Unfortunately...again...my SmartSolar MPPT150/100-TR is a year old...and not compatible with this newer VE.Smart Network.

Since my Charge Controller is mounted inside the pass thru bay...and probably warms the case up when produci g 85+ amps of charge current...it is applying a negative voltage compensation, while my batteries are in a ventilated compartment a few feet away and much cooler, requiring a positive voltage compensation.

So there we are. I am hoping that there is another way to get to where I want to be...either swapping out my controller for the newer VE.Smart Network compatible version and adding the Smart Battery Sense...or by adding the Venus GX monitor, with a hardwired temp probe input...linked to the MPPT controller via VE.Direct cable. Trying to work out a solution. If you have a SmartSolar MPPT150/100-TR...you can check the compatibility by part number...I'll post a screenshot.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:28 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
List of controllers that are compatible vs non-compatible...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DC4C4B60-9785-43BE-AA1A-338E8F7D7482.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	198204  
Old 04-08-2018, 06:40 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presidio View Post
I installed my solar system that includes the Victron 150/60 controller with the little round remote display. I am looking for help understanding some of the functions (not much info in the manual)

1. Absorption time limit- How long?

2. Absorption voltage? My Trojan J305 spec shows ONLY Bulk charge of 14.82v and Float charge of 13.5v NO absorption charge voltage??

3. Absorption time limit - How long?

Thanks!
As was stated the time limit is a limit...in actuality, the Victron is going to compute it’s own crossover point to go to float voltage. I use 3 hrs for a 928aH bank. If your bank is smaller the absorb time limit would be less...2 or 2 1/2 hrs perhaps.

There should be a maximum amperage selection...that is what you set for bulk charge. It will limit the controller to not exceed the set amperage which differs by manufacturer. I believe Trojan uses 10 to 13% of the 20hr aH Rating.

The 14.82 is what you set for absorb...when a constant current charge brings your battery to this voltage, it switches into absorb phase which is constant voltage...in your case 14.82. This is adjusted by the controller by a compensation value for temperature. If Trojan recommends a certain rate...it can also be programmed into the Victron. Otherwise, the default value will be used.

If you want easier control...if you have a BlueSolar MPPT controller, you can add the BlueTooth Dongle...and if you get the VE.Smart compatible one...you could then add the Smart Battery Sense to get better temperature compensation for your Charge Controller. The BlueTooth dongle allows you to control and monitor the system easily from anywhere within BlueTooth range using the Victron Connect App on your Smartphone or tablet.

Tags
remote