Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2018, 03:41 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I’ve changed my mind about solar, IF.....

IF you snowbird (could not find that area to post this) and IF you can pay for your power based on when you use it and IF you are a DIYer (Watt cost of less than $2) and IF you do not mind flipping a circuit breaker several times a day you DEFINITELY need to invest in a serious amount of solar and maybe even Lion batteries.

Over the years I’ve chosen to buy diesel instead of solar as the payback was in decades, not years; BUT times change. 10+ years ago I tried to get TVA to go to time of use metered power for residential...you pay more for power in the morning and evening and less the rest of the time. Has not happened.

We snowbird for 3-4 months in SE Fla each winter and I’ve signed up for FPL’s (Fla Plunder & Loot) time of use program. I’ll have to flip the main breaker off inside the MH each morning (batteries will be fully charged on the night time rate). Hopefully, during the day, the solar will be enough to recharge the batteries from making breakfast. I can always turn the power back on to top them off, before the 6PM higher rate starts or if we need AC briefly in the afternoon:

My goal is to cut my $80/month electric in half, saving me $160/winter which will pay for enough diesel to go 400 miles or 100 hours of generator time when we boondock and have to run the AC.

Just trying to help out those that say solar is the only way to go as driving a Prius or saving $160/winter with solar is not much of a offset when you have a BIG energy hog MH.

OK, this is all because jet lag has me waking up at 3AM with nothing better to do.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2018, 06:04 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
IF you snowbird (could not find that area to post this) and IF you can pay for your power based on when you use it and IF you are a DIYer (Watt cost of less than $2) and IF you do not mind flipping a circuit breaker several times a day you DEFINITELY need to invest in a serious amount of solar and maybe even Lion batteries.

Over the years I’ve chosen to buy diesel instead of solar as the payback was in decades, not years; BUT times change. 10+ years ago I tried to get TVA to go to time of use metered power for residential...you pay more for power in the morning and evening and less the rest of the time. Has not happened.

We snowbird for 3-4 months in SE Fla each winter and I’ve signed up for FPL’s (Fla Plunder & Loot) time of use program. I’ll have to flip the main breaker off inside the MH each morning (batteries will be fully charged on the night time rate). Hopefully, during the day, the solar will be enough to recharge the batteries from making breakfast. I can always turn the power back on to top them off, before the 6PM higher rate starts or if we need AC briefly in the afternoon:

My goal is to cut my $80/month electric in half, saving me $160/winter which will pay for enough diesel to go 400 miles or 100 hours of generator time when we boondock and have to run the AC.

Just trying to help out those that say solar is the only way to go as driving a Prius or saving $160/winter with solar is not much of a offset when you have a BIG energy hog MH.

OK, this is all because jet lag has me waking up at 3AM with nothing better to do.
If you have a Magnum Energy Inverter...the Advanced Remote (ME-ARC) will allow you to set AC-IN as a time period. What this does is connect shore power to your charger, and pass thru AC power so your Inverter goes into standby when utility prices are low. At other times...it blocks utility power to the inverter...so you use your battery/solar during periods when utility rates are higher. The MAIN AC distribution breakers for heavy hitters like air conditioning continue to get utility power...so you would have to program the thermostat accordingly.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:10 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
If you have a Magnum Energy Inverter...the Advanced Remote (ME-ARC) will allow you to set AC-IN as a time period. What this does is connect shore power to your charger, and pass thru AC power so your Inverter goes into standby when utility prices are low. At other times...it blocks utility power to the inverter...so you use your battery/solar during periods when utility rates are higher. The MAIN AC distribution breakers for heavy hitters like air conditioning continue to get utility power...so you would have to program the thermostat accordingly.
THANKS !!!, as I do have the ARC-50 Magnum control...I have a lot to learn about what all it will do.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:49 AM   #4
Community Moderator

No doubt if you manage solar with shore power you could save a lot of money.

l stayed in an area for a couple months now. The first month in an RV park I paid $475 flat fee utility included. From the second month, I moved to another RV park with $350/mo + electricity. Since my solar provides plenty of power for me, I don't use their shore power. I have been paying only $350 every month. Solar really pays off itself.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
No doubt if you manage solar with shore power you could save a lot of money. Solar really pays off itself.
With what???, $18,000 in panels and batteries, I'd hope so...2750w Solar, 1200ah Lion batteries.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:01 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you do a correct cost analysis no solar, or wind technology will ever have a payback in a reasonable time.
How long will you keep the coach?
What is the initial cost?
What is the installation cost?
What reoccurring maintenance will you have?
At even .20 per KW what are the true savings per KW?
How many KW total do you use in a year?
How often will you use this system?
Do you boondock every day all year to get enough savings?
Payback got to be less than 2 years to make this viable.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
With what???, $18,000 in panels and batteries, I'd hope so...2750w Solar, 1200ah Lion batteries.
Nah, I didn't spend that much, even not half .
The difference is DIY vs hiring pro...
Old 11-20-2018, 02:04 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
“Do you boondock every day all year to get enough savings? “ Or can you only use power when it is cheaper by paying by the time of use and with solar decreasing that amount of power. This added saving is why I started this post as it helps in getting the solar payback down to a reasonable number.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
~snip~
Payback got to be less than 2 years to make this viable.
Does that apply to all RV investments?
Old 11-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sometimes...the balance sheet has to include non-monetary gains.

Gains in the form of added Solitude,

Flexibility,

Redundancy.

If you can...imagine a scenario where having an extra battery charger would come in handy...silent...clean...and there to protect against other system failures.

Or perhaps adding a few off the beaten path rv experiences...no shore power, and freeing yourself from the diesel fumes and droning noise of the Onan running. I’m not saying not to use your generator...but a bit less —-

Solar is just a tool...and sometimes investing in the right tool adds to the enjoyment.

Nobody can dictate the valuation for such a thing. It’s a very personal thing.

I’m not trying to convert anyone...just asking that they appreciate the fact that others might look at it from a different angle.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:43 PM   #11
Community Moderator

When I went to Arches NP, I stayed at Moab BLM site which was free.
When I climbed Mt Rainer, I parked at Cowlitz Wildlife Area, no fees.

In summer time I like NW. At Winchester Bay OR, I parked at marina side, cross the water maybe 100 yard away, there is a nice RV park. Beautiful scene, surrounded by water, with gorgeous sunset. The differences? I pay $270 and other RVers pay $900 per month in the park.

In summer time, I run A/C with solar. I charge my toad (plugin hybrid) to 26 miles per charge on solar so driving around in town for free. I don't pay attention to gas price up or down, as I can count my fingers for the times I stop to gas stations in a year.

I can go on and on for my solar... If you build it right, you will enjoy it for the rest of your life.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:05 PM   #12

Pay back on solar as a full timer using 2+ years fulltiming before install which averaged cost was $25 a day (over nights, weekly, monthly rate).
Solar system installed April 2016 cost $15k, with 30% tax credit the end cost was $10k . Since install we've done 900 days boondocking, 900 x $25 = $22,500. So that's $12,500 in the black and never had to walk out my door to look at the neighbors slide or sewer hose. Just the great outdoors in many different states. Of course we are not the norm for such a quick pay back.
When the day comes we go back into an rv park the solar/ batteries can still power the rig with little to no electric bill.
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:07 PM   #13

Unless I am running the air conditioning for several hours, I don't need to listen to my generator at all. I don't bother bringing it except for honest months of summer. I made the investment in my system because almost all my camping is off grid. Solar charging is very effective in the sunny Great Basin. I typically like to camp in the open areas so I can have great open skies for astronomy. My limitation is the size of my tanks. I have gone 10 days so far off grid without running out of fresh water or filing up my black and grey tanks.

If you mostly camp with hookups then solar panels, LiFePO4 batteries and large pure sine wave inverter don't add much value. My wife and I felt it was worth the investment to be able to use the 12 and 120 powered devices we want without being tied to a campground with hookups. I like that I don't have to worry about running out of power off the grid.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:11 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
When I went to Arches NP, I stayed at Moab BLM site which was free.
When I climbed Mt Rainer, I parked at Cowlitz Wildlife Area, no fees.

In summer time I like NW. At Winchester Bay OR, I parked at marina side, cross the water maybe 100 yard away, there is a nice RV park. Beautiful scene, surrounded by water, with gorgeous sunset. The differences? I pay $270 and other RVers pay $900 per month in the park.

In summer time, I run A/C with solar. I charge my toad (plugin hybrid) to 26 miles per charge on solar so driving around in town for free. I don't pay attention to gas price up or down, as I can count my fingers for the times I stop to gas stations in a year.

I can go on and on for my solar... If you build it right, you will enjoy it for the rest of your life.
Wow...just remarkable. That’s a lot of solar!!!

I just added the Micro-Air Easy Start to my A/C units...and installed a selector switch to allow me to alternate the power source to my front A/C unit between Main AC bus or Inverter bus. Works like a champ...but draws 2,000 watts...or more when the fridge compressor comes on.

I only have 1,440 watts...so, I never expected for it to keep up on Solar alone. Maybe someday... For now, my goal is to harness the sun and tie in the alternator while driving...so we can stay cool without running the generator. Our Dash Air does fine when the sun is low...but not during the Summertime at high noon. I’m hoping the two sources work well together...haven’t done a full test yet. I’ll consider it a success if I can drive with the front A/C ON, and still pull into a campsite with fully charged batteries.

Tags
solar