Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2016, 08:01 AM   #1

Inverter wiring schematic

In the process of planning a solar install and as I go through the thought process I am looking for more information on how to properly wire in a Magnum 3000w hybrid inverter to the RV so that it will control all of the AC wiring.

Questions I have are.

1. Does output side of the inverter go to a distribution/breaker box?

2. Can I use the existing factory breaker box panel vs installing a completely new One?

3. Are factory wiring schematics needed?

4. Anyone have a good link to maybe a YouTube video on this inverters install?

Thanks for the tips!
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2016, 08:11 AM   #2

Depends on if your RV is 30 amp or 50 amp. I have the Magnum 3000 hybrid and my RV is 30 amp so the inverter is just wired between shore and main panel and drives the whole RV. There can be issues with this as the A/C is running through the inverter and has huge startup current (70a). I had to also add a Micro-air easystart to keep the inverter from complaining when the A/C started. Nice thing is solar can offset shore draw when the A/C is running with the hybrid inverter.

With 50 it is advised to just do a sub-panel off the main panel and have the inverter drive the sub-panel with specific circuits.

Jack Mayers site has very good advice and diagrams: RV Electrical
Old 11-02-2016, 09:00 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
If you do one transfer switch for inverter to feed the entire RV power box, then you will have to remember to manually switch off the 120 Volt to 12 Volt converter breaker in that box when you are on inverter power. And, remember to manually switch it back on when you go back to shore power. However, if the Magnum is also your battery charger/converter this does not apply.

You will also have to manually remember to not run the ACs and to not run your electric hot water heater when you are on inverter power.

Further comments are if you have 30 Amp shore service, similar for a 50 Amp shore service RV but more complicated than I describe below.

I found that in my RV there were two 15 Amp branch circuits for the convenience outlets for the entire RV, and one branch circuit for the microwave / convection oven. I only wanted to feed these things with the inverter.

The "residential" way would be to relocate the branch circuits to be dual fed from inverter or shore in a separate sub-panel with a transfer switch between it and the main panel. 30 amp 120 Volt breaker in main panel to feed sub-panel in one or two of the spaces that the circuits moved to the sub-panel used to be. Feed the sub-panel with a 30 amp 120 Volt branch circuit breaker in the main.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
If you do one transfer switch for inverter to feed the entire RV power box, then you will have to remember to manually switch off the 120 Volt to 12 Volt converter breaker in that box when you are on inverter power. And, remember to manually switch it back on when you go back to shore power.
The Magnum 3000 is a inverter/charger with 125 amp charging it auto switches with 60a relay from invert to charge and is a much better charger.

My setup is: shore/gen->auto gen transfer switch->surgeguard->inverter->main panel.

I disconnected factory converter I may wire a pigtail to it as a backup with separate extension cord and if shore power is really bad like under 100v use it to charge batteries while inverter provides 120v.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:27 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
The Magnum 3000 is a inverter/charger with 125 amp charging it auto switches with 60a relay from invert to charge and is a much better charger.

My setup is: shore/gen->auto gen transfer switch->surgeguard->inverter->main panel.

I disconnected factory converter I may wire a pigtail to it as a backup with separate extension cord and if shore power is really bad like under 100v use it to charge batteries while inverter provides 120v.
X2 ! Buying a $ 2000 unit that has everything integrated into one box really simplifies everything, just wire it in between your surge guard and main panel as stated by harrell.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:03 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Solar or not, unless you have a couple tons of batteries here is the hookup
Shore power---(options)--Breaker box--(branch) to Inverter---Sub panel--Inverter powered loads

NOTE that the sub panel may be included in the inverter itself or as a separate item located in a remote location (In my case)

Options is basically an auto transfer switch

I showed only the branch to the Inverter
There are also other branches, Air Conditioenr (1 and optionally 2)
Water heater, Fridge, even the oem converter I still use my OEM unit not the one in my inverter most of the time).

Loads not powered by the inverter, in short.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
Depends on if your RV is 30 amp or 50 amp...
My rig is 50amp. Been going over the manual by Magnum, its pretty detailed. Just have to make time to it sone.

Thanks for the replies.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, wiring