Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2015, 01:49 PM   #1

LED Bed flexible Reading light

I am looking for a pair of LED flexible reading lights for my TC bed to replace the old swing out lamp shade ones where the light is behind any decent pillow. Where were the lance execs on this design meeting day? I dont want to have to reach all the way to the base to turn on. This one turns on by rotation the light head which I like. I wish they had a dim able feature for mood lighting if needed. I am asking if you think these will run on a RV 12 system? I guess the xformer is only for 120-12v?.
Does anyone know of a perfect place to find a on off on the head, dimable, 12 v light like this... I cant be to picky on the finish but I am thinking I will have to make a base to cover the old cover plate marks or hole.
Cabinet Lighting - Hafele Loox 12V LED #2018 Flexible Light, Silver | KitchenSource.com

Thanks Randy
elkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2015, 06:14 AM   #2

Hello, I do a lot with custom installation of LED's and such. Looking at your comparison light from Hafele Loox, I say it would work as you want with a little electrical skill and the parts from Loox. 1st lets look @ their FAQ sheet 4th page 2nd question by scrolling down to "Loox LED Lighting FAQ.pdf" Here Transformers - Hafele Loox 100-240V to 12V LED Transformer with Constant Voltage | KitchenSource.com. You'll see the question about vehicles= Yes, with an upstream regulator. Then get your lights, dimmable switch, switch surface mount housing, and I think this will incorporate the parts listed Lighting Accessories - Loox LED Distribution Blocks by Hafele | KitchenSource.com. Then get this part at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o06_s00 and it should do the trick. I have three of these regulators for LED's in vehicles to drop them to a regulated 12V. Now to bother the company about their FAQ. May need to ask, when ordering, to make sure the regulator will hook up nicely(constant voltage) and pin out to do so. They may have a pigtail to purchase or a way to satisfy the "Yes" answer on their FAQ sheet. After a little customizing Whala! You will have your light and dimmable as well. Sorry about all the typing and hypertexts....a bit carried away. Good luck, Mark.
ryknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:39 PM   #3

A bit confusing but I am pretty good at this sort of stuff. I need the regulator to get a constant 12 v. THat is the part from AMazon in your link correct? I guess the voltage is adjustable with a pot? THen I could use that distribution box or just tie the wires for both lamps together? Of course this assumes one side of the lights go by one of my current lights or I would have to run wires under the bed? What dimmer do I use?
I do worry about power use when not in operation? I may need a cut off switch as these lights are not often needed. And if I think about it I really would use mood lighting more often than a reading light. So maybe install the led flexible lights as stock and add some LED strings for mood? Thank for you long reply.
elkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:49 AM   #4

Sorry, I thought you wanted the Hafele Loox products at the link you posted. No problem. The latest LED Job. I put regulators in for accent lighting from a White 3000K lighting strip. The hardest part...which strip? 3528's are dim 1st generation. 5050's are a common bright strip. Now, the "5630 LED 3000k strip light" is bright with 40 to 50 lumens per LED. Dimmable and bright enough to light the entire Room. I had good luck with this one SUPERNIGHT(TM) 5630 300Led SMD Warm White Cuttable LED Light Strip Flexible Strip Led Light Waterproof Indoor & Outdoor Xmas Decorative Light Strip 5M 16.4ft DC 12V - Outdoor Lightstrings - Amazon.com Put one of these controllers to the test http://www.amazon.com/LEDENET-Wall-m...rip+controller or Amazon.com: LE® Mini Remote Controller for Single Color LED Strip Lights, RF Dimmer for 12 V DC LED Light Strips, 12A, Wireless Remote Control for All Dimmable 3528 5050 LED Strip: Home Improvement and the lights are on. Great thing about these are you can cut after every three LED's to create any size. I have a 6 strip in the outside entertainment access door in the Winnebago. Also took out Flourescents bulbs to put three rows of these in and so on. Also if you want to experiment like I do, try one of the china boys- Banggood, Tmart, Gearbest, and alike. They have great deals but watch for junk. China makes them all but things to remember>> LED's create heat at high lumens/Watts look for good cooling to have problem free long lived lightsource. If you have any old light you can't do without. No worries, easy to retrofit into an LED. Good luck and If you need any more suggestions or some spot light LED 1383 ideas just let me know, Mark.
ryknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:01 AM   #5

We just use LED headlamps. Works great if one wants to read and the other wishes to sleep.
Reed and Elaine
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:55 PM   #6

Hi Randy,

The requirements for this LED light assembly is 12VDC (2 watts). You can eliminate the transformer and wire these lamps directly to your 12VDC leads from your existing lights. 70 Lumen is not very bright, so I do not think dimming should be an issue. I would recommend that you get an inline fuse assembly for each one from an auto parts store and put a 1 amp fuse in it.

I have rewired my breathing machine, 2 battery operated table fans, Wi-Fi wireless router all for direct connection to the RV's 12VDC system. All are working fine. Just remember to fuse everything you convert.

Don
2013 Jayco Eagle 284BHS,2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73, 250Watt Grape Solar Panel, MorningStar MPPT 60 Charge Controller, Trojan T145 Batteries (260Ah), 1500 Watt Ramsond PSI, EnGenius WI-FI extender
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light