Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2017, 06:22 PM   #15

So I go to Magnums site and search for an authorized dealer, find iMarine and buy a product and Magnum will not honor the warranty? I doubt that would hold up legally.

While iMarine may be in violation of Magnums MAPP, the MAPP is not listed in in my manual as a condition of the warranty.

You also seemed to have made additions to their MAPP language, specifically the paragraph reads: "The warranty on Products that are not purchased by an end user through authorized distributors and authorized dealers is null and void. These products are not eligible for warranty coverage."

It does not contain "This means if you see an advertised price lower than we list there’s NO WARRANTY!"

As far as I can tell all that is saying is if not purchased through an authorized dealer there is no warranty. iMarine is an authorized dealer.

According to the MAPP if they are in violation they will stop shipping them product and eventually terminate them as an authorized dealer, it will not void a warranty on a product sold while they are a authorized dealer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2017, 07:30 AM   #16

Hello jharrell,

Even though the MAPP is clearly written, it seems like you have convinced yourself otherwise. The policy is what it is whether they enforce it or not. My point in stating the facts about the policy was simply to protect unsuspecting people. Happy Trails and may all go well with you.

Larry
I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
BatteryPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:12 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
So if I call Magnum and ask them if the inverter I bought from an “authorized dealer” is covered by the advertised warranty, they are going to tell me it depends on how much I paid for it? That makes no sense at all. It seems like it would be Magnum’s responsibility to police this and not provide equipment for them to sell.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:58 PM   #18

You could always call as you suggest instead of asking Larry. Let's us know what they say.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:22 AM   #19

Hi Scotty and all others concerned about my post,

I was just stating the facts of the MAPP. I understand that this troubles some people but facts are facts. From my point of view, my post was to help people. That's all. I can't say how Magnum will respond or what they will do.

Happy Trails to all.
Larry
I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPro View Post
I was just stating the facts of the MAPP. I understand that this troubles some people but facts are facts. From my point of view, my post was to help people. That's all. I can't say how Magnum will respond or what they will do.
I am obviously concerned about this issue since I bought my inverter from imarineusa.com and it is still within the warranty period.

I purchased from imarine based on the facts I had at the time:

1. It was recommend as having good prices on the inverter.
2. It was listed as an authorized dealer, and still is today.
3. The warranty as listed on in the magnum manual stated it is non transferable so it must be purchased "new" and only authorized dealers are considered "new", no other requirements are listed anywhere publicly.

Now in this thread you as another dealer are stating my warranty is invalid and present a document not listed anywhere on Magnums site or in their documentation. I have no reason to doubt its authenticity, but it seems to be a internal document stating their pricing policy to dealers.

The facts and only the facts as stated in the MAPP related to warranty are as follows:

4. Products purchased through Internet Auction websites such as but not limited to Ebay.com are
not eligible for warranty coverage.

5. The warranty on Products that are not purchased by an end user through authorized
distributors and authorized dealers is null and void. These products are not eligible for
warranty coverage.

I did not purchase from an auction site, and I am and end user who purchased from an authorized dealer. Neither 4 nor 5 apply to me, fact.

No where does it state if a dealer violates the MAPP the the warranty will not be honored, fact.

You added language to the MAPP that did not exist changing #5 to add that it would not be covered if the MAPP was violated, fact.

I have an email out to MagnumWarranty@Sensata.com to clarify this issue once and for all, I have yet to hear back.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:48 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
No where does it state if a dealer violates the MAPP the the warranty will not be honored, fact.

You added language to the MAPP that did not exist changing #5 to add that it would not be covered if the MAPP was violated, fact.

I have an email out to MagnumWarranty@Sensata.com to clarify this issue once and for all, I have yet to hear back.
Perhaps this will help. Here's the entire agreement with a few things in BOLD for you to easily see:

Minimum Advertised Pricing Policy (MAPP)

To protect Sensata Technologies, Inc. Magnum Energy TM and Magnum-Dimensions TM brand names, reputation for superior technology, and quality products, Sensata has unilaterally adopted a MAPP (Minimum Advertised Pricing Policy) for all its Magnum Energy TM and Magnum-Dimensions TM brand products. This MAPP revision is effective May 1, 2016.

All products listed on the applicable RETAIL PRICE sheets and MAPP PRICE sheets are available from Sensata Technologies, Inc., or from our authorized distributors and dealers.

This policy pertains only advertised prices and does not relate to the actual sales price of any product. This policy applies to all Sensata Technologies, Inc. Magnum Energy TM and Magnum- Dimensions TM authorized distributors, dealers, and retailers.

• It is a Sensata Technologies, Inc. policy to stop shipment of all products for a period of 30 days (or as otherwise determined by Sensata management) to any distributor who sells to a dealer/retailer/installer (hereafter referred to as “dealer”) whose advertising of the product fails to prominently display the Minimum Advertised Price. A 2nd occurrence is 60 days probation. At Sensata’s election, a 3rd occurrence, an indefinite discontinuation of any further sales.

• This policy applies to all forms of distributor, dealer, or retailer advertising including mailings, catalogs, displays at consumer trade shows, on-site brick and mortar locations, internet sales sites, and any other type of electronic network.

• MAPP pricing applies to all listings on third party websites such as but not limited to Amazon.com, Jet.com, Google.com, and PriceGrabber.com.

• Products purchased through Internet Auction websites such as but not limited to Ebay.com are not eligible for warranty coverage.

• ThewarrantyonProductsthatarenotpurchasedbyanenduse rthroughauthorized distributors and authorized dealers is null and void. These products are not eligible for warranty coverage.

• Any price information relating to Sensata Technologies, Inc. Magnum Energy or Magnum- Dimensions products on an internet website which uses hypertext transfer protocol (http) is considered to be advertising for the purpose of this policy.

• If MAPP pricing is posted, there shall be no alteration of said price using strikethrough or other methods of modification to the displayed MAPP price – or contains a price lower than the minimum advertised price set forth in the MAPP price sheet.

• Sensata will police its MAPP through periodic purchases from any offending entity to trace the serial number of the product through the sales channel. Distributors who are found to be enabling violations of the MAPP will be required to purchase the product back at full manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP).

9. When advertising a price, it is not permissible to use leading language or other means to indicate that any price lower than MAPP is available. Examples of language that is NOT PERMITTED includes, but is not limited to:

• Click here for your price

• Pricetoolowtoprint

• Price too low to advertise

• Click for lower price

• Click for our price

• Click here for special pricing

See price in cart

10.All reference to Sensata Technologies / Magnum Energy / Magnum-Dimensions MAPP are to include “package pricing”, where the sum total of all our products included in the “package” must meet the requirements of our MAPP.

11. Sensata Technologies will not accept any other agreement or understanding with distributors or dealers with respect to this policy. It will not be altered for any distributor or dealer.

The Sensata Technologies, Magnum Energy and Magnum-Dimensions policy regarding non- compliance may be forwarded as required.

AUTHORIZED “WHERE TO BUY DEALER” REQUIREMENTS

Authorized dealers will be listed on the Sensata Technologies Magnum Energy website under the “Sales and Service Locator” listing or its equivalent. To become an authorized dealer, companies can contact their distributor to obtain an “Authorized Dealer Website Application” or Sensata Technologies at MagnumSales@Sensata.com. Authorization requires compliance with Sensata MAPP and other policies.

Sensata will not discuss any conditions of acceptance related to this policy, as it is non-negotiable and will not be altered for any retailer, dealer or distributor. In addition, Sensata neither solicits, nor will it accept, any assurance of compliance with this policy. Nothing in the policy shall constitute an agreement between Sensata and any retailer, dealer or distributor on any subject including that the dealer or distributor will comply with this policy, or will sell any product at or above any particular price.

Sensata will unilaterally determine whether Magnum Energy brand products are being advertised, offered or sold at prices other than in compliance with the Magnum Energy MAP Policy described herein.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:00 PM   #22

Again nothing you highlighted in bold references the warranty.

The MAPP specifically says what will happen if it is violated:

Quote:
It is a Sensata Technologies, Inc. policy to stop shipment of all products for a period of 30 days (or as otherwise determined by Sensata management) to any distributor who sells to a dealer/retailer/installer (hereafter referred to as “dealer”) whose advertising of the product fails to prominently display the Minimum Advertised Price. A 2nd occurrence is 60 days probation. At Sensata’s election, a 3rd occurrence, an indefinite discontinuation of any further sales.
imarine is still an authorized dealer, they have not discontinued sales to them, therefore according to the MAPP and to their warranty language in the manual, my warranty is still valid based on these facts.

It is up to Magnum whether to honor the warranty and I hope to hear their clarification one way or another soon. If not I would think there could be legal recourse since I as a end user have done my due diligence by purchasing from a dealer that they themselves have recommend as authorized.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:00 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Battery Pro, Larry. Thanks for your input. It was in fact helpful for me and I didn't mean to come across as ungrateful. I am in the middle purchasing a PS inverter to replace my 10 YO Modified inverter.

Here's what Mara at Magnum told me about 5 min ago. The "MAPP issues are between Magnum and the dealer". Whatever price is paid does not effect the warranty as long as; you purchase it from an authorized dealer, you are the original owner, and the unit is new.

Hope that helps. It did for me and the dealer I was going to purchase from on Amazon is not listed as an authorized dealer. I am probably going to purchase it from a local dealer for $150 more.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Here's what Mara at Magnum told me about 5 min ago. The "MAPP issues are between Magnum and the dealer". Whatever price is paid does not effect the warranty as long as; you purchase it from an authorized dealer, you are the original owner, and the unit is new.
Thanks for giving them a call and confirming, puts me back at ease. I was hoping they would answer my email rather than having to try and get through on the phone so I could have it in writing as well.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:49 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
I ended up ordering the MHS-3012. BTW, an added bonus is it has a 90% efficiency rating and the MS-2812 only has a 88% rating. Maybe the hybrid capabilities will pay off since we do camp with 30A at times.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:51 AM   #26

I have been very happy with mine, I also recommend getting the battery monitor to go along with it for a true battery SOC reading, integrates really well. The only issue I have with it is the way it deals with surges and low voltages, not sure if any other inverters this size is better.

When I first installed it when connected to shore or generator the A/C startup would sometimes cause it to disconnect then go into overload. My understanding is the A/C compressor startup surge caused a momentary (single cycle) dip in line voltage causing the inverter to hit its VAC disconnect threshold even if set at it lowest setting of 60 VAC. Once the inverter disconnected shore now it was trying to startup the A/C off battery and went into overload.

So two things I wish it had a higher momentary surge capability and a less sensitive VAC dropout setting. My Surgeguard which drops out at 102V never sees the blip as I assume it needs 102V for much longer than one cycle to disconnect.

I solved it by adding a Microair Easystart to my A/C which greatly lowered its startup surge, now my Magnum never sees a voltage sag and can even startup the A/C off batteries if I want.

Shouldn't be an issue if you don't run an A/C through it as my Microwave or Coffee maker don't trigger it, but I had no choice since my whole coach runs through it, without splitting the A/C into its own sub-panel. Also noted earlier this also allows the Load Support VDC to work with the A/C partially power it from solar.

Only other thing I wish Magnum would do is make a more advanced remote with app monitoring similar to the Victron CCGX which was my second choice for inverter. Magnum has MagWeb to monitor through a web page but it only work through the cloud online, which is not that useful for RV use. I actually made my own web based monitor for it since their RS-485 protocol is public and I am a software developer, but its not very straight forward:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0337.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	184361

Name:	IMG_0339.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	184364

Name:	Magnum.PNG
Views:	89
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	184365
Old 12-02-2017, 06:34 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for all that. I installed the BMK last year but needed to update to a ME-ARC50 to realize it's full potential. This require either replacing the board in my 10 yo inverter or replacing the inverter. Time to upgrade to a PS inverter anyway. My inverter is on a sub panel which includes the microwave and all receptacles but not the AC's. I'm hoping that when connected to 30A or less I can run one AC and a few other things without popping a breaker.

It appears from their diagrams that the footprint for mounting it is identical to my existing ME-3112. If so, it should just be plug and play.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:05 AM   #28

When/if you install the hybrid just keep in mind the current on the AC side has the potential to double up. Check wiring to ensure it's the right gauge.