Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:20 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Magnum MSH 3012

Is anybody using a hybrid inverter? If so, are you actually seeing any advantages of it ability to combine shore and battery power?

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2017, 10:02 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Is anybody using a hybrid inverter? If so, are you actually seeing any advantages of it ability to combine shore and battery power?
I don't have one but I'll toss in my 1/50th of a dollar. In my research of that inverter for a friend of mine I think it's main advantage is during times of 30 amp service you get a bump of power for inverter circuits when needed. There are certainly a lot of smaller CGs that only have 30 amp service and if folks visit them on a regular basis it could be worth consideration. It can also be useful at large rallies where there is often a lot of 30 amp sites and weather makes use of 1 AC unit workable.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:37 AM   #3

I'm using the hybrid and like all the features of the unit. The load sharing works great which is mainly used if I need to run my 15k AC (which is hardly ever) with 1 honda 2000i generator.
While boondocking a month or so ago when in SD caught 3 days of heavy overcast/ snow and needed to give the lithiums a small boost of recharge and decided to use the fireplace between the solar and generator had a couple of hours of fireplace heat/ ambiance.
Also, If in a rv park and paying for electric. You can program it to not use shore power while plugged in but instead use the PV solar. It can be programmed to monitor conditions and automatically connect to shore power if needed to share the load.*
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:21 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I use it like Sky Boss described
Old 11-23-2017, 07:14 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks all. I am about to replace my ME-3112 and I am trying to decide if it's worth the extra $$ over the MS-2812, and how I will benefit from it. I have plugged into 30A recently and I'm always concerned about using too many high use appliances (coffee maker, microwave, etc) at the same time.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:25 AM   #6

I installed one which runs my whole 30 amp coach.

I rarely use the Load support AAC mode, which is dialing down shore power and having the inverter supplement. Useful for driveway camping and just having access to a 15 amp plug.

What I do use regularly is the Load support VDC mode since it just does it automatically. I have solar and whenever the batteries are fully charged the Magnum will start pulling excess solar and inverting it lowering shore draw by that amount holding batteries at float voltage. The solar charger just thinks the batteries aren't charged and stays in bulk mode. It even works with my alternator and generator mixing the two, but I usually shut down the inverter when generator is on as it will pull 90 amps continuous from the alternator if I let it. Only thing I wish it did was go VDC below 5 amps draw so it would help with the fridge, typically only kicks in when air conditioner is on.

I mainly bought the hybrid to get a little more headroom (3000 vs 2800) and the cost was not much different and thought the hybrid modes might be useful.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:03 AM   #7

Classic timing, the hybrid came out a few months after I installed the MS2812. Would have preferred it's features, for the reasons noted. Is it worth it? I look at major coach upgrades as being amortized over a minimum (I hope!) of 10 years of usage. So IMO, that extra expense up front, really spreads out over 10+ years of usage!

Best,
Smitty
Old 11-24-2017, 12:33 PM   #8
4x4

Newmar Owners Club
I really like the ability to run an AC/Heatpump while hooked at a friends house with only 15 amps. It also helps a lot that I'm running lithium batteries as they recharge fast and hold a high voltage compared to the AGM's I had previously.
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 03:45 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Anyone buying an inverter, this is the cheapest place you will find. http://www.imarineusa.com/about-us.aspx
Old 11-24-2017, 06:25 PM   #10

" It even works with my alternator and generator mixing the two, but I usually shut down the inverter when generator is on as it will pull 90 amps continuous from the alternator if I let it."

Thought the internal transfer switch built in the inverter bypasses the inverter all together?

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:33 PM   #11

WARRANTY VOID for unauthorized Magnum Energy Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Anyone buying an inverter, this is the cheapest place you will find. http://www.imarineusa.com/about-us.aspx
Here’s something important to know if you are buying a Magnum Energy product. The revised MAP policy from Magnum will void your warranty if you buy from anyone that is offering their products in violation of the MAPP. iMarine is one such company that violates the agreement by listing the price below the MAPP.

Magnum imposes a Minimum Advertised Pricing Policy (MAPP)

Sensata has unilaterally adopted a MAPP (Minimum Advertised Pricing Policy) for all its Magnum Energy ™ and Magnum-Dimensions ™ brand products. This MAPP revision is effective September 1, 2015.

This policy pertains only advertised prices and does not relate to the actual sales price of any product. This policy applies to all Sensata Technologies, Inc. Magnum Energy ™ and Magnum-Dimensions ™ authorized distributors, dealers, and retailers.

The warranty on Products that are not purchased by an end user through authorized distributors and authorized dealers is null and void. These products are not eligible for warranty coverage. This means if you see an advertised price lower than we list there’s NO WARRANTY!

When advertising a price, it is not permissible to use leading language or other means to indicate that any price lower than MAPP is available. Examples of language that is NOT PERMITTED includes, but is not limited to:

a. Click here for your price

b. Price too low to print

c. Price too low to advertise

d. Click for lower price

e. Click for our price

f. Click here for special pricing

g. See price in cart

Also, all internet auction sites such as eBay and Amazon sales have no factory warranty.
Buyer beware.
Here’s a link to the policy

I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
BatteryPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
" It even works with my alternator and generator mixing the two, but I usually shut down the inverter when generator is on as it will pull 90 amps continuous from the alternator if I let it."

Thought the internal transfer switch built in the inverter bypasses the inverter all together?
No the inverters switches between shore and inverter. However with the hybrid even when the switch is on shore the inverter can still contribute. I have another transfer switch before the inverter for shore/generator. When the generator is on the inverter sees it as shore power and switches. If I leave the inverter section on and the A/C is running driving down the road it will pull batteries down to float and invert everything excess the alternator is putting out along with the solar which reduces the load on the generator. Not really great for the alternator so I usually turn off the inverter in the situation.

I might put in a Blue Sea ACR that I can remote control to manually disconnect alternator from house so I can leave the inverter on and have solar still contribute while going down road.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPro View Post
Here’s something important to know if you are buying a Magnum Energy product. The revised MAP policy from Magnum will void your warranty if you buy from anyone that is offering their products in violation of the MAPP. iMarine is one such company that violates the agreement by listing the price below the MAPP.
Are you sure iMarine is violation? They list MSRP and you must put it in your cart to see the actual price. The reason vendors wait until you put it in your cart is to not violate MAPP.

Also iMarine is listed as an authorized dealer on Magnums website, which would be odd if they where in violation.

I bought from iMarine because of the excellent price while still being listed as a authorized dealer. I have not had to use the warranty as of yet to test it.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
Are you sure iMarine is violation? ...
Yes. Please re-read "G" in my post. It does not matter if they are listed as a dealer if they are in clear violation of the policy.

I have sold Magnum products for 15 years. I know that they have fought with this issue for a long time. They do have a dilemma, though. Do they enforce their MAP policy to high volume dealers like Amazon or iMarine? They may loose a big customer. If they let those sellers continue, why have the policy at all?

I once counted over 500 Magnum products on eBay. According to the MAPP, all are without warranty. Yet you can still buy at all the places I named today.

Larry

I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
BatteryPro is offline   Reply With Quote