Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2018, 04:05 PM   #1

Mini swamp coolers

Has anyone tried the small swamp coolers while boondocking. Cost about $30, and use little to no power.
05 Dolphin #5342
Chuck Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2018, 07:46 PM   #2

I have used a person evaporative cooler that runs on 12 volts. It has a reservoir that holds about a half gallon and a pad that soaks up the water. I would take an afternoon nap using the cooler while running a fantastic fan to exhaust the more humid air. I stay up much of the night when at astronomy events to the nap is helpful. My previous trailer did not have air conditioning since it was just a 5x8 cargo trailer with side windows door and fantastic fan added. It had 240 watts of solar so there wasn't any problem running fans.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:59 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
A swamp cooler works best in arid climates. They are popular in Colorado, Utah, Arizona, etc. They have a mat that is wetted by a small pump from a reservoir and a fan blowing across the mat. They do a nice job of blowing cool, moist air and cooling down whatever area they are rated for.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:00 AM   #4

I notice one company sells a rv roof top evaporative cooler.

turbokool.net

The power consumption is 2.2 to 4.6 amps. I wonder what the water consumption per hour is.

I live in Reno Nevada which has very dry air. The dew point right now is 37 degrees. I replaced my furnace and very old air condition with a new furnace and high efficiency air conditioner two years ago. I have only run the air conditioner for two days last year when forest fire smoke made the air quality too poor to run our house evaporative cooler.

The power consumption of the swamp cooler is so low I don't even notice the change on my electrical bill between April - May and June - August.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:29 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
I have a stand alone unit intended for 100 square feet. It draws 32 watts when running on the maximum setting.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianotuna View Post
I have a stand alone unit intended for 100 square feet. It draws 32 watts when running on the maximum setting.
Do you mean the stand alone kind wally world or similar box store sells? Which one do you have? I was looking at them in wally world and wonder how good it would work while boondocking using off solar/ batteries in stead of the roof mounted one.
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:36 AM   #7

There is a Honywell unit on Amazon tat says it is 175 CFM and uses 70 watts. $169. I am tempted to try this one.
05 Dolphin #5342
Chuck Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:15 AM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
Hi,

Yes it is a stand alone box--from Amazon. It did lower the temperature slightly when RH was 33% in the RV. Here is a link to the thread on rv.net

https://forums.goodsamclub.com/index...d/29674450.cfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinerant1 View Post
Do you mean the stand alone kind wally world or similar box store sells? Which one do you have? I was looking at them in wally world and wonder how good it would work while boondocking using off solar/ batteries in stead of the roof mounted one.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:33 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianotuna View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Q View Post
There is a Honywell unit on Amazon tat says it is 175 CFM and uses 70 watts. $169. I am tempted to try this one.
Wow, talking about two very different units, I bet!

Bob & Donna
Old 07-18-2018, 05:25 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I saw this one on Amazon but it's priced a little high!
$882 + $51 shipping
https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Turbo...v+swamp+cooler
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:59 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are lots of DIY swamp cooler instructions online. This one is made for an RV

https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguid...ve-cooler/?amp
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:22 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
There are lots of DIY swamp cooler instructions online. This one is made for an RV

https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguid...ve-cooler/?amp
While the swamp cooler instructions are O.K., the explanation of air conditioning was bogus! "Air conditioning works on the principle of compressing and squeezing the moisture out of the air.
"

Air conditioners work by compressing a refrigerant and changing it to a liquid. The liquid is then forced through a small aperture and changes it back to a gas. It's the physical change of state, from liquid to gas, that creates the cooling function. In physics, it takes energy to go from liquid to gas. The energy (heat) is taken out of the air in the evaporator. Since the evaporator is cold, moisture in the air collects on the evaporator and it reduces humidity in the air. The now hot gas is compressed in the compressor and changes back to a liquid, releasing the refrigerant's heat in the condenser and it is released in the outside air.

Swamp coolers work also by a phase change, water is evaporated and the change from liquid to gas requires heat energy. This cooler air, now full of moisture, reduces the inside temperature of the space. In an arid climate, this moisture is often welcome to make people more comfortable.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-26-2018, 03:03 PM   #13

While attending one of my grand daughter's swimming events near Sacramento, CA, the need to do "something" really stuck.

The home team was setup under a tree line and it was quite cool there.

We were under shade tents, but on the tennis courts and it was nearly unbearable.

I did some research and testing - many trees will evaporate 100 - 200 gallons of water per day, which is one of the reasons it is cooler under there. As you can imagine, most of this is during the daytime.

I ran a test on my driveway and in fact it does take about 1 quart / minute to keep a 100 - 150 ft2 area relatively cooler using evaporation. Essentially 10 gallons / 1 hr.

In case it is interesting, it was 85F and relatively low humidity (not measured).
Old 07-26-2018, 07:55 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Same principle, different use -

I'm going to make a bucket cooler/humidifier to keep the air more comfortable for us when we boondock in southern AZ next winter. I'll use this idea but with a 2 gallon bucket instead of the taller 5 gallon bucket. It has to hang from the ceiling to keep little monkey hands from disassembling it.

https://coolcreativity.com/handcraft...-swamp-cooler/
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote