RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mounting Solar panel without drilling holes in the roof

I am considering using the following mounts to attached a solar panel to my Class C RV with a rubber roof.

Instapark ZJ03W Drill-free Solar Panel Roof Corner Mount Rack Bracket Kit NEW

And

Instapark ZJ04W Drill-free Solar Panel Roof Mount Rack Rail Bracket Support Kit

Example installation from
RV solar system DIY

Question I have is with a rubber roof that is basically glued down, is their any issues with gluing these mounts to the rubber roof?

Will this work on a rubber roof?

Thanks

rdrv831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2015, 01:43 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My concern would be the rubber separating from the roof. The solar panels will catch some wind and there will be a general uplift type force. Over time the rubber may work loose.

I had a 1997 Class C and I did notice a couple spots that we loose before we sold it. Never did cause a problem and I stay in touch with the people who bought it and it is still good,

jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:03 AM   #3

I'm guessing that given the lack of product offerings and poor reviews of this sort of mount on Amazon, that this is not a viable option.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:24 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Why not go straight for semi-flexible panels that can be glued onto the roof directly?

We have 600W on our Brave 27B and had 200W on a Solera with a rubber roof. They work extremely well.

www.eco-worthy.com - that is where we bought ours.

Reiner
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:36 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I used these on my fiberglass roof without any issues. Use the recommended glue and it's solid.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:54 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrv831 View Post
uestion I have is with a rubber roof that is basically glued down, is their any issues with gluing these mounts to the rubber roof?
You'll get plenty of both possible answers. Mine are glued down (close to roof) to a fiberglass roof and all is fine. One thing to be aware of is that some roofs are not completely flat. If that is the case with yours, the mid point bracket shown might not work for you.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinerka View Post
Why not go straight for semi-flexible panels that can be glued onto the roof directly?

We have 600W on our Brave 27B and had 200W on a Solera with a rubber roof. They work extremely well.

www.eco-worthy.com - that is where we bought ours.

Reiner
those panels will overheat since they cannot get air under them. Rigid panels are much higher quality and last longer.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:21 PM   #8

That looks like a nice design. I assume that they are using a good UV resistant plastic. Do they use glue or a that ultra high adhesive double sided tape?
elkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:33 PM   #9

I saw those well over a year ago. The corner and side brackets should well support the panels. On a highly curved roof they might not sit flat enough so some grinding might be required.

There is a valid concern about gluing them on a rubber roof but none on a fiberglass one other than the adhesive used.

On a rubber roof one could drill mounting holes in them with a suitable plastic drill for a more secure attachment.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:48 PM   #10

Hey Timon,

I've been looking at flexible panels also that could be glued directly to the roof. There have been quite a few positive reviews in both RV and marine forums.

What experience have you had to overheating in these panels?

thanks for any help.
Karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
Hey Timon,

I've been looking at flexible panels also that could be glued directly to the roof. There have been quite a few positive reviews in both RV and marine forums.

What experience have you had to overheating in these panels?

thanks for any help.
Nothing direct but I've read several reports about how hot they run. The metal frame versions can get plenty of air under the panels.

Although you "can" walk on them the flats can develop micro cracks if you do plus the thinner panels have been known to cup and pool in the middle of the cells which causes the panels to loose performance. Price is typically higher per watt even figuring in the mounting and the warranty is about 1/3 less than the framed panels.

You can't really angle the the flats but the rigid panels can be angled for best sun.

I think for boats and some small RV trailers they are great but for large RV I think you're better off with rigid panels.

IMHO
Old 08-26-2015, 10:20 AM   #12

One more thought, Flex panels are very good if you use remote deployed panels. You can make a PVC frame you can put together quickly to hold the flex panels. Since the back of the panel is open to free air they will stay cool. Remember the cooler the panel is the more power it will produce. With the panels being so thin you can store a lot of panels in a very small space.

Word of caution if you do this. You'll likely need to run either two chargers or a charger that is designed for multiple panel banks which could have different ratings. Consult with the charger manufactures about this.

Tags
solar, panel, roof