Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2019, 02:57 PM   #15

The advantage for series is if you portable array is going to be some distance away from your RV mounted controller. The lower amperage and higher voltage means the effect of voltage drop over the long wire will be less.

I am building a portable array out of 2 parallel strings of 3 watts panels in series. It will be used to give me a tilt up assembly that can directly face the sun and also be used as supplemental solar if my trailer is parked in the shade. The 52 volts DC and 5.72 amps will easily go over a longer cable with out much loss from voltage drop.

I went with the 50 watt panels because I can store them as a 2x2x0.75 foot cube and the weight is not a problem.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2019, 09:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Even with only 300w of panels we see +1200aH/day of charging when needed.
Do you mean watt\hours? 1200ah would require something approaching 200 amps from the solar panels. 300 watts would be more like ~16 amps.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:18 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
Do you mean watt\hours? 1200ah would require something approaching 200 amps from the solar panels. 300 watts would be more like ~16 amps.
Oops, I sure do mean kwH - 1.2kwH. I had to recheck my Victron history. Thing is, I start the day when boondocking around 95% SOC after running the gen 30 min or so for breakfast. Then the solar charger brings it back up to 100% pretty quickly after that and keeps it there.

I'm happy to see that little 300w system can keep my 4-100w AGM batteries at or near 100% SOC throughout the day. During the day we'll have our residential 3-door fridge, a fantastic fan, a few chargers, internet routers and hotspots going. Even some TV during lunch maybe. By 5pm or so the sun is less productive for us and SOC starts to drop into the lower 90% range. Just in time to make dinner and run the generator for aprox 90 min so we can go to bed with 100% SOC again. Normally, we wake to between 86% and 89% SOC. It depends on whether or not we have to run the heater at all during the night.

More solar panels and more battery amp hours would be great sure. But we're doing pretty well with our small system.

I plan to add a 4th 100w panel and once my AGMs give up the ghost - they're only 2-years old - I plan to replace with LiPo batteries.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:24 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
Your pair of panels will now ADD voltage, whilst AMPS remain the same.
Sorry. Universal Conservation of Energy laws means if the panel array output voltage increases, then the output current must be proportionally reduced. The MPPT controller is simply a computer DC-DC converter. It converts whatever input POWER (I x V) from solar array to appropriate volts and amps for the battery.
GyroGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyroGypsy View Post
Sorry. Universal Conservation of Energy laws means if the panel array output voltage increases, then the output current must be proportionally reduced. The MPPT controller is simply a computer DC-DC converter. It converts whatever input POWER (I x V) from solar array to appropriate volts and amps for the battery.
I like your explanation.

It is an efficient DC-DC switching supply that constantly seeks out the best power point match of the panels. So it harvests more power and delivers it more efficiently than a PWM.
However these circuits consume some power too. My EPSOLAR Tracer MPPT controller drops down to PWM mode when Solar power is low.
PWM is like a simple switch that is rapidly turned on and off. Cheap and simple for small setups. Generally not for series panels, or large voltage drops from panel to battery.
Pappion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, panel