Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #1

Need new controller, flush mount preferred

The company that made my original flush mount controller is out of business, when it died I bought a Go Power 25 amp model, (now discontinued) but my original had a switch for house/engine batteries that I liked, the Go Power did not have this feature so when I'd run the engine battery down I would have to hook up a regular battery charger to it, today I decided I was tired of that so I took the toggle switch out of the old one and drilled a hole and mounted it in the new(er) one, now the LED lights that showed the charge rate are not working, or the amp/volt LED's, and the digital readout is also blank, but the charge light is on, (?)
I've searched for another flush mount controller and can't find one that handles two different sets of batteries, I have 2-12 volt engine batteries in parallel and 2-6 volt in series for house batteries, a 120 watt, 6.32 amp solar panel.

Does anyone know of a company that makes a charge controller for my setup ?

It's only been a couple of hours ago since this happened so I don't know yet if I'm cooking my batt's or not charging at all, will know more in the morning when I check voltages with my meter. Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #2

Not exactly what you are looking for...

"Morningstar SunSaver Duo ™ is an advanced PWM two battery controller for RVs, caravans, boats and cottages. Designed for 25 amps at 12 volts DC, at the same time calculate this product of two separate batteries and isolated as a “house” and an engine battery, based on user selectable priorities. This controller also includes a backlit remote meter which may be mounted in or on a wall, and displays digital image and status information about the solar power system." The controller should be placed near your house battery(s)

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/products/sunsaver-duo/

Along with remote meter in place of the covered flush mount hole, you could add a Trimetric:

http://www.bestconverter.com/TriMetric-Battery-Monitor_c_66.html

Also, have you ever updated your converter? If not, its time to get a 3-4 stage.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #3

How about one of these Perko Boat Marine Dual Battery Disconnect Switch 3 Position New | eBay

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel B View Post
The company that made my original flush mount controller is out of business, when it died I bought a Go Power 25 amp model, (now discontinued) but my original had a switch for house/engine batteries that I liked, the Go Power did not have this feature so when I'd run the engine battery down I would have to hook up a regular battery charger to it, today I decided I was tired of that so I took the toggle switch out of the old one and drilled a hole and mounted it in the new(er) one, now the LED lights that showed the charge rate are not working, or the amp/volt LED's, and the digital readout is also blank, but the charge light is on, (?)
I've searched for another flush mount controller and can't find one that handles two different sets of batteries, I have 2-12 volt engine batteries in parallel and 2-6 volt in series for house batteries, a 120 watt, 6.32 amp solar panel.

Does anyone know of a company that makes a charge controller for my setup ?

It's only been a couple of hours ago since this happened so I don't know yet if I'm cooking my batt's or not charging at all, will know more in the morning when I check voltages with my meter. Thanks.
How did you wire the switch from the old controller to the new controller?
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:32 AM   #5

Other options include an appropriate solar charge controller and a Trik-L-Start which will divert up to 5 amps to charge the chassis battery, or the Blue Sky Energy Solar Boost 1524iX, Solar Boost 2512i-HV, Solar Boost 3000i, or Solar Boost 3024iL, which all have a 2 amp auxiliary battery charger that can be connected to the chassis battery.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #6

I'd make this an opportunity to move the solar charge controller next to the house batteries and put a battery monitor where you previously had the controller.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
How did you wire the switch from the old controller to the new controller?
The toggle switch has the + wires from the house and engine batteries on it, I just drilled the hole, spliced the wires and connected the output on the switch to the + on the controller panel.
I don't know what happened but when I got home last night the controller was working, all LED's are working, display is showing volts and amps, this morning I switched it to engine batt. and it showed 12.5 V, by the time I finished my coffee and got dressed it was showing 13.1 V at 0.3 amps, no sunshine today here.

BendOr,
"Also, have you ever updated your converter? If not, its time to get a 3-4 stage." Thanks BendOr, my converter/charger is an Atwood SRV32, is this one that should be updated ?
My controller is this one, Manual: GPR-25 is it ok or should I update it also ? The original was a Heliotrope, http://www.heliotrope-pv.com/index.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9887.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	57467  
Old 03-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #8

Manuel B-

“Thanks BendOr, my converter/charger is an Atwood SRV32, is this one that should be updated ?”

Your converter is single voltage with a set quantity of amps.
http://www.sahararv.com/pdfs/072-086_Electrical.pdf

These types of converters were known to boil out batts if plugged in full-time. Also, their relatively high float voltage and low amp trickle charge did not re-charge low state-of-charge (SOC) house batts very quickly. They were superseded by 3-4 stage converters around 2000 that managed deep-cycle batts a lot better.

Check out Best Converters and maybe call Randy for a good replacement:

http://www.bestconverter.com/

“My controller is this one, Manual: GPR-25 is it ok or should I update it also ?”

Well, does it seem to be doing what you want it to do. For best use in charging the house batt, a controller needs to be near the batts to conserve controller output voltage. Temp compensation and a higher bulk charge voltage would be a good idea also. My above recommendation still stands but it is not the only option.

“The original was a Heliotrope, http://www.heliotrope-pv.com/index.html

I know Heliotrope well. I’m still using one of their RV-30S’ and love it. They are no longer made and working units are scarce. When mine dies, it will be replaced with a Morningstar PWM.

Here is some reading (long but good):

The RV Battery Charging Puzzle « HandyBob's Blog

RV Electrical

Old 03-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #9

Thanks BendOr, this morning I made a video clip of my controller acting crazy so I think I need to check out your suggestions.Solar Charge Controller Acting Weird Video by mbarje | Photobucket