Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #1

New Solar System for RVs!

Global Solar Energy out of Tucson, AZ just launched a new PV system specifically designed for RVs. I just inatalled their 200W system on our Cougar High Country 321. The panels are made in Tucson and the kit comes with all the components needed. One of the best things about it that it doesn't use screws to hold the panels to the roof and they're only about an inch tall. The whole system was under $1500.

I'm running 2 Trojan T-125 (6V) at 240Ah for batteries

www.PowerFLEXMobile.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3513.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	28593  
Clayhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Nice system, 12.5% efficiency..... pretty good for a flex panel .
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #3

For the majority of people, these "PANELS" are crap, best suited for a backpacker.

Ed
Who tells them like he sees them
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
For the majority of people, these "PANELS" are crap, best suited for a backpacker.

Ed
Who tells them like he sees them
And that opinion is based on what exactly?
Old 11-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayhammer View Post
And that opinion is based on what exactly?
I was wondering as well
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #6

DUNNO - unless that type construction is less durable over the long haul - like some of the cheaper Asian small panels commonly used for solar powered yard lights and such - about 2 years max life expectancy...

I don't see any lifespan claims on their webpage or spec pointer - I have a standard type panel that's well over 30 years old, and still puts out full power, and a GE panel over 5 years old, doing the same - not sure if the flex stuff will do the same...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #7

That system could be exactly what I've been looking for as far as price, output watts, and ease of installation. I do have a couple questions....

Did you install it yourself ?

Do you think you could remove the entire system and mount it on another RV?

I'm not a full timer (nor am I going to be any time soon) and will not be buying a new RV that would serve our needs for 10-15 years, so I would like to know if I make a $1500.00 investment, can I mount it on my next RV. I plan on keeping my current RV (which I bought used) for the next 5 years, and would like to get the remaining usefulness of the solar system on our "upgraded" future RV.

I really like the Idea of no screws, it also means no holes left behind in the roof to reduce the value of the RV when I do wish to sell it, or if the solar panels just go bad.

Sincerely,
The minority
BirdDoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDoggin View Post
That system could be exactly what I've been looking for as far as price, output watts, and ease of installation. I do have a couple questions....

Did you install it yourself ?

Do you think you could remove the entire system and mount it on another RV?

I'm not a full timer (nor am I going to be any time soon) and will not be buying a new RV that would serve our needs for 10-15 years, so I would like to know if I make a $1500.00 investment, can I mount it on my next RV. I plan on keeping my current RV (which I bought used) for the next 5 years, and would like to get the remaining usefulness of the solar system on our "upgraded" future RV.

I really like the Idea of no screws, it also means no holes left behind in the roof to reduce the value of the RV when I do wish to sell it, or if the solar panels just go bad.

Sincerely,
The minority
The Global Solar panels for the RV are the same construction as the ones they make for the commercial roofing market and they're made in Tucson, AZ including the solar cells. The commercial version has a 25 year warranty and the mobile version has a 5 year warranty (including the charge controller). They've been making those as well as a portable version for the US Army and USMC for years.

The adhesives are very strong and make the installation pretty permanent. You could use screws instead of the adhesive but, that would somewhat defeat the purpose.

I think anyone that's comfortable/competent with RV electrical systems could install it. The hardest part was routing the wiring.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
Unisolar 124W flex panels on ebay for about $140.
"Kits" in every instance I have seen are grossly over priced and usually not as good quality components. See Solar That Really Works on this forum.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
Unisolar 124W flex panels on ebay for about $140.
"Kits" in every instance I have seen are grossly over priced and usually not as good quality components. See Solar That Really Works on this forum.
Uni-solar went out of business a few month ago so there's no warranty at all. They quit making the 124 long before that. Also, the Amorphous Silicon cell technology isn't that well suited for battery charging due to the lower max current output.

Kits are for those that can't or don't want to spend hours researching and then still guessing if all the components will work together. I agree that some kits are overpriced (especially from some of the RV Dealerships) but, I don't think this one was. And, I believe it's also available as just the panel and mounting stuff without the controller.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
One question, do you have a rubber roof or a fiberglas one?
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayhammer View Post
Uni-solar went out of business a few month ago so there's no warranty at all. They quit making the 124 long before that. Also, the Amorphous Silicon cell technology isn't that well suited for battery charging due to the lower max current output.

Kits are for those that can't or don't want to spend hours researching and then still guessing if all the components will work together. I agree that some kits are overpriced (especially from some of the RV Dealerships) but, I don't think this one was. And, I believe it's also available as just the panel and mounting stuff without the controller.
WELL, as far as I'm concerned, a 5 year warranty on so expensive a setup (compared to 20 years for the more conventional types) would be the deal-breaker for me, especially with as many pop-up solar outfits going bankrupt or otherwise vanishing from the scene in our current economy...

Guess we'll just continue with our 30 year old conventional setup for the foreseeable future - but a full RV rooftop made outta solar panels sure would make a dandy boondocker setup!

OR, on a house, for that matter!

ALL it takes, is $$$$$$$$...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Walter View Post
One question, do you have a rubber roof or a fiberglas one?
My TT has an EPDM rubber roof. Works on fiberglass as well though.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
WELL, as far as I'm concerned, a 5 year warranty on so expensive a setup (compared to 20 years for the more conventional types) would be the deal-breaker for me, especially with as many pop-up solar outfits going bankrupt or otherwise vanishing from the scene in our current economy...

Guess we'll just continue with our 30 year old conventional setup for the foreseeable future - but a full RV rooftop made outta solar panels sure would make a dandy boondocker setup!

OR, on a house, for that matter!

ALL it takes, is $$$$$$$$...
No worries. Global Solar has been around since the mid 90's and is the world leader in this type of cell technology. I like this system because I wasn't about to use screws through our new roof. I also like the fact that you can't see them so, I don't have to worry about them getting stolen.

There are a LOT of conventional panels out there that have a 25 year warranty when put on a building that becomes void when put on an RV or boat.

Tags
powerflex, rvs, solar, solar panels