Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2017, 11:56 AM   #1

No one installs solar on a TT in Los Angeles!?

I've been calling around but Google and Yelp aren't helping much. I have a travel trailer and bought a renogy kit with two 100w panels and it seems like no one wants to install it. I'm in Santa Clarita (North LA County). Camping world is a nightmare. Always on time rv repair only works on motorhomes. Solar companies don't want the job.
Curb71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2017, 12:12 PM   #2

Do it yourself! DIY is pretty straight foreword and not beyone an average weekend mechanic. Locate, and mount the panels is easy. Finding, or figuring out where to drop the wires down through the roof is probably the hardest part. My wires are run down next to one of the vents and that works just fine on my setup.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:22 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Look on YouTube for solar installation videos. I have a Renogy 100 watt suitcase unit that works well. Renogy just came out with a 200 watt portable suitcase unit I might look into for the future.

Places like Camping World this time of year are all booked up taking care of all the warranty issues. I bet if you called now, they will tell you 2 months to get an appointment. And they would rather charge you for "their" over priced solar panels. I bet the Renogy are half the price of panels they sell.

Look on your local Craigslist RV section for people who do RV repairs. I have a few regulars that appear on mine.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:27 PM   #4

LA is a big market for RVs, and they are pretty busy everywhere.

Typically, installers prefer to buy their own panels and components and use items that they routinely install, as opposed to customer supplied parts. Nothing wrong with your panel choice, but if something goes wrong, then they don't have the ability to support you with a fast response / pull out a spare part and deal with the problem later.

Usually they have a list of parts that are proven to work for them with little hassle, fast installation, and limited to zero warranty work. When you made the well meaning decision to buy your own, you kind of whammed the process.

I know a guy in Quartzite that does mobile RV repairs and PV install work, but I am not sure if he is willing to drive to LA to do it or not but I can ask. Do you have a complete list of parts and the type of trailer?

Did you measure the roof to make sure that it all fits, not just the size, but where the ribs are?

I don't know his rates, but I would guess something for him driving there plus at least $50 per hour.
harryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:05 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think AMSolar has a independent installer near you. Check their web site.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:27 PM   #6

Not sure if you are still looking, but a friend of mine that does solar installs and RV electrical work will be in LA in the next two weeks. He is a full timer, an experienced RV Tech, and works as a "mobile installer".

Let me know if interested and I will PM his contact info to you.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:48 PM   #7

I have 1 100 watt panel and it is on qucik connect/dissconect. When I get where I am going I pull the oanel, plug iy in and place it towads the sun. Before I go to sleep I move it to the morning sun. You may be better offer using them mobile.. I like t park in the shade durring the summer, if it was on my roof it would be useless..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curb71 View Post
I've been calling around but Google and Yelp aren't helping much. I have a travel trailer and bought a renogy kit with two 100w panels and it seems like no one wants to install it. I'm in Santa Clarita (North LA County). Camping world is a nightmare. Always on time rv repair only works on motorhomes. Solar companies don't want the job.
pfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:38 AM   #8

Here is a guy in LA that specializes in RV electrical and solar installs.

I am betting that he will work on your trailer. It is advertised as "mobile", so you could bring it to him or he will come to you.

4 hours should be plenty to install a couple of panels.

https://ventura.craigslist.org/aos/6134670417.html
Old 07-01-2017, 10:14 AM   #9

Reviving this thread. I tried the Craigslist link. Dead link.

I am also looking for a solar installer in Southern California. Someone who has the experience to work with 1000 watt concept with LiFip04 batteries also.

Thanks a lot.
dasadab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, solar