Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2017, 01:19 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCrowell View Post
We had a lot of discussion about parallel, series or series parallel and AM Solar suggested we go with parallel to minimize the effects of shading. The are two more ports in the combiner box, so the next two will also be parallel. If I end up with more that eight, we will have to look at series parallel. So far if has been performing well and in Oregon and in early spring I have seen a peak output of approx 600 watts out of 960. We decided early on to use large wires to allow for any reasonable configuration I might choose and quickly eliminated the factory wire. I didn't want to have redo stuff as I expand or make changes.
Typically you don't get more than 80% of the STC rating which for your panels would be 768W (960*0.8). You're hitting 63% of STC which for this time of year without tilting is quite good. I'm guessing that will some panel tilt you might pickup another 10%.

It's my understanding that Solar Controllers are more efficient when you're running at 36V or more rather than 18V so I prefer a series parallel configuration. However in your current configuration there is no way I would knock running parallel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
Very true...

I figured with the Victron 150/100... I could hook up three sets of three...for a total of 1440 watts...at 54v. I'd still be down around 26.7 A on a #6 AWG wire. I would be way under the 150v input limit...but I would have to be careful about the output exceeding 100A...hopefully it's controllable. Maybe 4 sets of two is all it will handle...without having to put two Charge controllers in.
I wouldn't worry about the Victron 150/100 exceeding 100A. They designed it so you can run more input power which could exceed 100A output but the controller will adjust the loading on the panels so it never exceeds 100A on the output or damage the controller. (Note from the data sheet: 1a) If more PV power is connected, the controller will limit input power to the stated maximum.)

However you do have to watch the total panel short circuit current so that it's not more than 70A when using the Victron 150/100 controller. This could happen if you had more than 7 160W panels in parallel. With 10 panels in series parallel, with two panels in series, you only have 48A during a short circuit condition.

What's nice about this controller is you design your system so you get full charge at 80% of STC but during those rare times you get enough sun to hit the full STC rating the controller will throttle back so it's protected. Is that wasting power power? Technically yes however it's rare that you will during normal operations.

So looking at yours, which is also what I've been considering, you could go to 10 panels at 160W and still be well under 150V (23*5=115V) no load conditions. That would give you 1,600W STC or 1,280W at typical conditions.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2017, 06:58 AM   #58

C Martin - our Roadtrek setup is different and is one x 100 W and one x 315 W panels since real estate is limited on many Roadtrek. This requires two separate controllers to approximately 4.5 kW-hrs of LFP battery suite at 12 V nominal. We did use line power on beach in Yucatán, San Cristobal de las Casas, and Patzcuaro since we were in shade much of day and power was clean. Next place was ungrounded and made vehicle frame "hot". This can be mitigated by grounding frame in sand but we were in unshaded spots for next six weeks so we just used solar with propane for fridge at night. System can run AC either directly or through battery charger to LFP (and PSWI for AC). This prevents damage to sensitive
electronics with dirty power. Burned out micro-waves due to dirty power in Baja and Yucatán. Almost lost air conditioner in fifth wheel when using line power in a state park in Colorado.
Reed and Elaine
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:04 AM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Cundiff View Post
C Martin - our Roadtrek setup is different and is one x 100 W and one x 315 W panels since real estate is limited on many Roadtrek. This requires two separate controllers to approximately 4.5 kW-hrs of LFP battery suite at 12 V nominal. We did use line power on beach in Yucatán, San Cristobal de las Casas, and Patzcuaro since we were in shade much of day and power was clean. Next place was ungrounded and made vehicle frame "hot". This can be mitigated by grounding frame in sand but we were in unshaded spots for next six weeks so we just used solar with propane for fridge at night. System can run AC either directly or through battery charger to LFP (and PSWI for AC). This prevents damage to sensitive
electronics with dirty power. Burned out micro-waves due to dirty power in Baja and Yucatán. Almost lost air conditioner in fifth wheel when using line power in a state park in Colorado.
Reed and Elaine
Nice flexibility...
Old 07-14-2017, 07:26 PM   #60

This is the final arrangement of our system. The batteries will be enclosed in a furniture quality enclosure with a Corian surface.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5346.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	168773Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5345.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	168774Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5320.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	528.8 KB
ID:	168775Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5321.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	470.3 KB
ID:	168776Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Jun 30, 3 50 54 PM.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	168777Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Jun 30, 4 45 51 PM.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	168778
scrowell52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:54 AM   #61

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have our installation date with AM Solar for later this year. Really looking forward to it. Already having separation anxiety just thinking about having to stay in a hotel while the work is being performed.
RAM 6.7 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:59 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM 6.7 4x4 View Post
We have our installation date with AM Solar for later this year. Really looking forward to it. Already having separation anxiety just thinking about having to stay in a hotel while the work is being performed.

They are a great bunch of people and do quality work. I'm sure you'll love what they do for you.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:27 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryn View Post
The way that I do it, is to make everything DC first, then invert it all back to AC when needed.
Could you explain that concert a bit more and how you would do that?

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCrowell View Post
Attachment 152030

Wiring diagram for those that might be interested

What program did you use to make this diagram?
offtosleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:32 AM   #65

The diagram was provided by AM Solar for my system.

Tags
battery, install, led, solar