Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2018, 07:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I'm just trying to grip on my current usage. After the solar install, I would hope I never have to look at it again. If done properly, that should be the case.
I'm pretty confident in saying that it as never been the case, it's like your water level tank a person kinda needs to know what going on.
RasMouSein is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2018, 11:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I'm just trying to grip on my current usage. After the solar install, I would hope I never have to look at it again. If done properly, that should be the case.

That’s just it. Your current usage will change day to day. Some days you’ll watch more [emoji342], other days less. You might forget and leave a light on or your inverter on and not know until your batteries are dead. Your furnace uses a lot of electricity. You are aware your propane refrigerator won’t run without 12V? Bottom line, You won’t know the status of your expensive batteries unless you can readily monitor them. You’re going to a lot of expense buying and installing a very useful tool and then leaving it in your toolbox, IMHO.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:52 PM   #17

We'll be installing our shunt in a different compartment since our batteries are not in a water tight compartment. Not sure about the Bogart unit but the Victron BMK has a small circuit board attached. I'm thinking it shouldn't get wet.

And you'll want to read the monitor. Power usage changes. Solar panel output changes (clouds, shade, etc.). The whole idea is to see the SOC and adjust as needed. Longer (or shorter) generator runs, for instance, to recharge the batteries. If you can't see the monitor, why install one at all? You're back to guessing your SOC.

We got the Victron for that very reason. We can temporarily install in the bay next to the batteries because it's got bluetooth and we can see the status on our phones. But even when it's mounted inside our coach, we can check anywhere. Do we need to fire up the gennie first thing or can we wait for the solar to kick in? We can find out from bed.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:12 PM   #18

I agree with Dan on the solar. You know you will get less solar on cloudy days or with some shade from trees, but estimating that is more of a wild guess. Clouds come and go and sometimes on overcast days you will lose a lot or not much at all. If you have lead-acid, overcharging* doesn't do much damage, but undercharging sure does. If you have LFP, you don't want to over charge much or get below about 10 or 20%.

If you have large batteries relative to your daily use, and ample solar, then checking once per day may be sufficient. If not, you will be sticking your head in that compartment at least twice per day and maybe more.

* I mention overcharging because with solar you often won't get enough current to push the battery voltage up enough to switch out of bulk mode and may continue charging beyond 100% SOC. This is more of an issue with LFP because it takes a lot of current to get out of bulk mode and you might go days without seeing that from solar.
hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:03 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I looked around real careful like, and the access to the wall where all of my panels are is FABULOUS. So, it will be easy peasy to run that cable up to my panel wall, so I'll do that.

My battery compartment shares a wall with my storage area, it should be simple to install the shunt on the wall of the storage area, and run the cable over to the battery. I have no idea what that wall is made of though.. I'm sure there are aluminum studs in there, but I have no idea how to find them.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:08 AM   #20

Stud finder, or rap, rap, rap
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:49 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post