Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2019, 07:06 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I'm 90% sure I already have the correct hose for the heater stored in Connie. It's the one I used before you helped me connect to the onboard tank. It is about 4’ long. There are also 2 BBQ bottles that I left there. One belongs to you.
You are likely correct about the hose but the propane bottle is now yours; finders keepers rules.

I would bet that the insulation material could also go on the outside then be covered with siding material which would make it great for keeping the cold in and the hot out; and vise versa.
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2019, 03:25 PM   #44

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That insulation ain’t cheap. Just inside will have to do for now. But it's an option should I ever decide to spend summers there. Or I could turn it into an earthship by stacking rammed earth used tires on the south side.

https://www.earthshipglobal.com
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:04 PM   #45

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
#okmonky

The earthships have a low south facing window with a sloped roofline that allows heat to escape through windows. Behind, on the north side, they store water and have buried plastic pipes that channels air into the building as the hot air rises out windows. The buried pipes are deep enough to get cooled by the soil and provides a natural air conditioning. The windows along the top ridge can be opened to let heat out or closed to retain heat. The low slope of the roof shelters the interior from the summer heat but captures the winter sun which shines onto the back wall and floor of the house, providing solar heat.

We visited their model home several times, but once in late September when the weather was brooding and blustery. Inside, it was very comfortable, they had fruit and vegetable growing in their greenhouse that were way past their season. It made a lasting impression.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:50 PM   #46

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm thinking that given the different climate in southern Arizona an earthship would need to be oriented to the north rather than south. Even in the winter very little heating is needed down there. Keeping a house cool is the major objective.

I’ve yet to find any workable ideas for earth sheltered homes in very hot climates that aren’t almost totally underground. But it makes sense to me that the extra mass of earth filled tires on the southern side could only help with cooling.

I'm also planning to capture and store rainwater from a 42’x12’ south facing sloped roof that will also hold solar panels at a 45* angle and provide some shading of the south wall.

More than anything I’m excited about making innovation work in the desert in an off grid home.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-13-2019, 03:56 PM   #47

National RV Owners Club
Powering a tiny house from an RV

Obviously this project has grown!
In another year it may be 4 stories tall with full hook up campsites surrounding it!
Go get em Barb! Just watch out for Mitzi. She is ferocious.
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:36 AM   #48

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Scott! We've missed you and Mariella. Will we see you in AZ again next winter? I'm thinking about maybe doing the FMCA rally in Tucson in mid October. You interested?

Mizzie? A force to be respected for sure!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-14-2019, 07:39 AM   #49

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Hi Scott! We've missed you and Mariella. Will we see you in AZ again next winter? I'm thinking about maybe doing the FMCA rally in Tucson in mid October. You interested?

Mizzie? A force to be respected for sure!

We have been busy getting house ready to sell. We had a tornado through town and that set us back about 10 days.
I haven’t even touched the coach since we got home! I need to knock out the punch list from the winter in Az but getting the house on market is the priority!
We should be in Q after Christmas. Hopefully living in Pensacola by fall whether in a house or full time in the coach until we find what we want. We may have to build our own one last time since we haven’t had luck finding one so far. If we build it will more than likely have a attached coach garage!
Hope all is well with you Lilly and Siena, and we look forward to visiting in the winter.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:51 AM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Scott, believe it or not we have not been able to find Honey Bourbon north of the border. DW almost in withdrawals.

With luck Mizzie will be in Q next winter for a while making sure everyone tows the line and gets in on the cuddles.

We are also looking forward to again visiting with Scardy Cat.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:48 PM   #51

National RV Owners Club
Powering a tiny house from an RV

[ATTACH]249875

This is what it looks like in case you forgot![emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160716_203106.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	357.7 KB
ID:	249875  
Old 06-14-2019, 03:38 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sure miss the stuff, wanna e-mail me a couple of ounces?
Next American stop will be Sault Ste Marie Michigan and hopefully some one there will stock it.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:00 PM   #53

#okmunky

We know about hot weather. We stopped in Madrid NM one very hot summer afternoon and took a tour of the abandoned mine. It was a simple walk down a wooden stairway into the shaft but we left by the stairway into the blacksmith's shop. It was so cool inside we thought it was air conditioned. After the tour we exited the wood shack into the bright summer daylight, and the summer heat. Apparently, the wood shed drew up the cool air and kept the building very comfortable.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:23 AM   #54

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
From the photo it looks like the mine is in the side of a hill. That probably gives it a considerable amount of earth above it so that the mine stays consistently cool. My property is flat. I don’t think I can plane enogh sand around it to help it stay cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-17-2019, 09:45 AM   #55

#okmunky

I've seen two type of underground cooling systems. One is a horizontal trench, dug about 6 feet deep with two 12" pipes running about 30 feet and the other is more like a well with a vertical shaft that allows cool air to be pulled by rising heat. If the soil is stable the shaft might be the easier but more expensive option.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:23 PM   #56

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I know 6’ deep would work in most parts of the country, but I’m wondering if in the desert 6’ is deep enough to make it worth the investment of time and materials.

From what I've read shading and ventilation is most effective. Cheaper and easier, too. My first project there will be to put on a slanted roof that will be wider than the container. It will provide shade and the gutters at the bottom will capture rainwater.

https://www.modlar.com/news/180/dese...or-the-desert/

The surface is all sand on my lot so stable it's not.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
power