Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2019, 04:15 PM   #1

PSW Vs MSW

Opinion on which is best, is one more efficient? Will MSW damage some items? Need to replace Xantrex 458, looking for your thoughts. Great forum, have learned a lot from all of you.
05 Dolphin #5342
Chuck Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2019, 04:57 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Q View Post
Opinion on which is best, is one more efficient? Will MSW damage some items? Need to replace Xantrex 458, looking for your thoughts. Great forum, have learned a lot from all of you.

I DO NOT work for Victron Energy.

I do however, know for a fact that their equipment is top tier. Consider the Multiplus 3000. It is pure sine wave, is rated for 3000 watts continuous with a 7000 watt surge for 5 minutes! It has a 120 amp DC charger and its switching timing is measured in milliseconds, making it function as a battery backup (if your battery bank is sufficient) for brownout, undervoltage, overvoltage under frequency, overfrequency as well as being extremely energy efficient. As I sit here and type this my 92 watt (120 VAC) refrigerator compressor is being powered by the Multiplus 3000 as well as a ceiling fan, the laptop charger and the combined power consumption is 152 watts. If I turn on an air conditioner the HVAC system uses 1400 watts yet the added energy from the multiplus only adds another 52 watts, or less than 0.5 amps AC or 4 amps DC to operate at a 50% duty load.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:33 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
PSW is technically better than MSW. However many of us are getting along quite well with MSW. I do have a small point of use PSW inverter for DW sewing machine as it doesn't like the xantrex MSW power.

If you are having problems with your xantrex 458, I'd suggest to put the money to fix towards an upgrade. Magnum makes near plug and play replacements for your 458. Including reuse of the control panel cable and a cintrol panel that fits in the same hole as your current. Magnum has a document regarding upgrading from the xantrex 458 on their website. Any questions, give them a call - very knowing of upgrade how-to.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:20 PM   #4

Get a PSW inverter. Everything runs much better and some appliances even use less power on pure sine wave inverters. MSW is 30 year old technology that replaced the square wave inverter.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:13 PM   #5

Yep, Pure is best. Electric blankets, some clocks, some microwaves, etc will not work properly (or at all) on MSW. If you're replacing, IMHO, PSW is the only way to go.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:28 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Big difference.

Our rig came with an MSW inverter, Heart Interface 20D. It burned a space heater control board once, later when DW wanted to use induction cooktop, it just won't cut it. That tipped off the replacing process. Our new (3 yo) PSW inverter is a Magnum MS2812.

PSW is just like home AC power, it really makes modern electronic components happy. Go with PSW if you can, by all means.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:08 PM   #7

We were getting along just fine with a 20 year old Heart 20d 2000 watt MSW inverter. Then I upgraded the microwave and it would run, but not heat on the inverter. Swapped it out for a PSW and all is well.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote