Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2016, 02:07 PM   #1

Roof rack Solar Panel install pic's

I was asked to provide some pictures.

Some shots of the roof install on the raise racks used for sticks and bricks. Some shots of the angle sheetmetal added to keep limbs from catching under the panels. I think I have a shot of the roof junction box (I added two for additional access to the roof, but one probably would have been sufficient.) I added a shot of the MidNite Classic 150 Lite, mounted to the roof of the fuel filter access panel on our coach. This is the last basement, and it is right next to the battery basement for ease of wire feeding. Not ideal, but for sure much less dust in this cabinet then in the open battery compartment cabinet.

Finally some shots of the battery cabinet, with the related Magnum MS2812 sub components of BMK-Meter, Battery Combiner, AGS. You should also just be able to see the Solar Fuse on the bulk head to the left, above the chassis 8D battery, it has a white label on it. Also to the right of the access door (with the yellow label on it, where the MS8212 is installed) you will see the Shunt Valve. Attached to the Shunt Valve is the MidNite WhizBangJr.

What you will not be able to see, is the MidNite Battery Temp Sensor (might be able to see the Magnum's), as it is between the L16's. (The Magnum is mounted to the top.)

Also a shot I did not tear apart the back of the bedroom cabinet to get you a shot of. Is the main circuit breakers from each panel, converted over to the feed to the MidNite Classic down below. Each panel has it's own circuit breaker, which is nice for trouble shooting, and for turning off solar panel power to the MidNite Classic 150 controller.

The bulk of this work was accomplished by Temecula Valley RV. Nice clean install, good attention to wiring detail, and labeling. Owner Erik, and Master Tech Donnie - are great people to work with.

Best to all,
Smitty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160223_130656.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	119705   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160223_130426.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	119706  

Name:	20160223_130733.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	337.6 KB
ID:	119707   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160223_131019.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	119708  

Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2016, 02:09 PM   #2

Other pic's!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160223_131028.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	119710   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160223_131002.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	119711  

Old 02-23-2016, 03:35 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thank You very much for the pictures. It will help me a lot next month when I redo my solar panels. Very nice explanation of your install.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:49 PM   #4

Smitty, what size/watt/volts on the panels? Nice looking install.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:53 PM   #5

http://www.panasonic.com/business/pe...%20Sheet-1.pdf

This was three years ago or so now, and many changes in panels in this time.

We just did our S&B home, with X24 of the LG315 panels They have the LG330 becoming available now too.

It is a very fast changing environment on panel quality, size and prices. And for the RV user, the combo of size (physical) and quality are key considerations. Budgets can be cut quite a bit with lower quality and or efficiency panels. But when you only have "X" amount of space on a roof top - quality and efficiency can become the most important part of the cost analysis!

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 02-23-2016, 07:15 PM   #6

Are you able to tilt the panels for optimum use for the winter time use.
Happy Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Prospector View Post
Are you able to tilt the panels for optimum use for the winter time use.
No, and that is by design. I oversized the wattage to both compensate for partial shading, and to avoid needing to tilt the panels.

When we swap our our toad for the next one. (Thinking we'll change to an F150 4X4 Crew Cab with shell in the next year or two. Replacing our 07 CRV EX-L.) I may carry one other panel in the trucks shell, to pull out and set up when in heavy shaded areas. But we've very seldom had a problem with either snow or ongoing long periods of shade. Those few times that we have, well I keep the fuel tank on the top half, so that we can run the generator as needed!

Now, that being said. I had lots of space. I sure understand the advantages of tilting, and also angling the coach in the right direction, to pick up serious gains in solar power. And some I know just do not have the roof space to toss panels at it...

With the drop of panel costs, it really is not that much more of a dent in the wallet to add more capacity - if space exists!

Best,
Smitty
Old 03-06-2016, 07:03 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nice install Smitty. A couple questions if I may.

So there are a total of five panels - one affixed to the roof directly and four on the rack - correct?

The panels are all wired in parallel or other?

What expansion capacity do you feel you have?

Thx
Vince
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:26 AM   #9

Vince - Sorry for the delayed response, missed your post...

Yes parallel, but due to very seldom having self inflicted shadows (the stubby antenna for WiFI on the rear panel, gets moved soon to it's permanent location), I could say convert int two paris in series.

I have room for one more large size panel, probably would go with the LG330 when they start shipping (maybe doing so now), and that would put us to 1530W 48V of panels.

The Classic 150 has some headroom for growth, at 96A, and frankly that would be the limiting factor on how many panels I could install, with out having to add another Classic 150 into the mix.

But, with the Lifeline's accepting as much power in bulk as the sun/panels/Classic 150 can send, we're into Absorb usually very early the AM and full 100% SOC usually before noon. So, do not really need more panels.

Or I could also another rack, and extend the four down the passenger side, into eight panels.

Lots of options with a 40' roof, as I believe you now have too!

Best,
Smitty

Tags
install, panel, roof, solar