RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:48 PM   #1

Series or Parallel

Watched every video on shade not one showed series to be near as good as parallel. I found some that said series is now better than before but did not say series was as good at handling shade as parallel. True middle of the day is where all the amp harvest is so if that is non shaded you are fine. But trees are everywhere .

texskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2019, 02:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by texskeet View Post
Watched every video on shade not one showed series to be near as good as parallel. I found some that said series is now better than before but did not say series was as good at handling shade as parallel. True middle of the day is where all the amp harvest is so if that is non shaded you are fine. But trees are everywhere .
I need an explanation of what you are talking about.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:57 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
We've gone as long as six weeks of overcast days here on Misty Isle, yet use solar for our truck camper DC supply. We hook two 100-watt panels in series; deploy them 'propped up' for best angle at the end of a 30-foot 10 ga. wire extension, alongside camper for best sun access. Our MPPT (Maximum Power Point Transfer) controller makes best use of the HIGHER series voltage to convert available power to our deep cycle battery. Previously we connected the panels in parallel to a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) controller. It worked, but was far less efficient during our overcast days.
Of course, your needs may be quite different. Series works better in our situation.
Graybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:03 PM   #4

Effect of shade on solar panels installed in series. Compared to solar panels installed parallel. every test showed parallel to be superior .
Old 02-22-2019, 05:08 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
So what's the point of your question? As for trees, they're a threat not only to solar panels so don't park under them. I had a good friend killed by one when it shed a big branch.

Parallel connections favor current at the source; series connections increase voltage at the source. MPPT controllers work best with higher voltage; higher voltage works better on longer conductor runs. So it's not correct to make sweeping statements that "parallel connections are better." Shaded panels are bad news in either case. Try to avoid it. Park in the sun, clear of trees. Or deploy portable panels in a sunny spot.
Graybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Effect of shade on solar panels installed in series. Compared to solar panels installed parallel. every test showed parallel to be superior .
I have experimented with both configurations and found in the real world there's not much difference in shaded conditions. They both are impacted pretty significantly. I find that the controllers (I have 2 Victron's currently) perform better with the series config particularly in low light conditions and I seem to get better daily yield from the series config. That and with the obvious wire size savings I prefer to run them in series.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:49 AM   #7

Parallel is better than Series was true in the old days. If any part of the panel was shaded, you lost the whole panel. Most of the panels sold today will have bypass diodes. They allow the unshaded part of the panel to still produce power. Before the advent of MPPT controllers, It was necessary to run panels in series through a less efficient PWM controller, now you have a choice. I am running two strings of 3 panels each in series.
Connecting Solar Panels Together For Increased Power
Old 02-23-2019, 11:16 AM   #8

Words

I want to see the test with my on eyes. They say they put out more power in series but just words where is the real world test that I can view. The two test that I could find both showed parallel to produce better in shade. I would like to see a more extensive ie more panels,and more different types of shading effects. Like bird droppings, leaves and so on.I talked to magnum about there 100 controller they said it needed to see at least 60 volts to operate properly . They are all saying there larger controllers will do good in series because the want preform well in parallel .
Old 02-23-2019, 11:57 AM   #9

Solar panels in series put out the same wattage as solar panels in parallel. Shade affects both panel setups the same. Efficiencies and losses in the system change.
Different control systems react differently to series and parallel panels (voltage and current out of panel). Different wire sizes, distances, number, and size of connectors matter. Battery charge level matters.

Best practice is to use the method recommended by the manufacturer of the system. If you are an electrical engineer, you can understand all the technical characteristic of the particular components and make and educated decision on the total system performance.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:16 PM   #10

Quote:
I want to see the test with my on eyes. They say they put out more power in series but just words where is the real world test that I can view. The two test that I could find both showed parallel to produce better in shade. I would like to see a more extensive ie more panels,and more different types of shading effects. Like bird droppings, leaves and so on.I talked to magnum about there 100 controller they said it needed to see at least 60 volts to operate properly . They are all saying there larger controllers will do good in series because the want preform well in parallel .
As far as I know, the only charge controller that requires 60 volt min PV voltage is the Magnum PT-100, and it appears designed for very large systems. I have used Outback, Morningstar, Midnite Solar and now Victron solar controllers. All will accept 18 volt inputs without problems.
The Magnum PT-100 was actually designed to take advantage of multiple strings of high voltage panels in series. It's max pv voltage is 187 volts, which allows four 40 volt panels in series.
Personally I would rather take the word of forum members that have actually tried both methods, with modern panels, than believe something I saw on an old u tube video, where the publisher gets a penny a hit, whether or not it is factual.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Then why are you asking? Just do a test! Bird droppings are not an issue anymore than dirty panels in general produce less and cleaning periodically is routine maintenance. Larger shading where the bulk of a panel is covered is significant however it does not kill the output of all the panels in either configuration. How many panels are you planning on, what size\voltage and what will be the capacity? Any particular reason you want to go with the Magnum controller? Too many questions unanswered to give you any meaningful feedback.