RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:07 PM   #1

Shopping for batteries online by specifications -- Odyssey Extreme

the PC1800-FT, I'm finding attractive. Shape my suit my needs well, too, a tallish slab.

They claim:

Quote:
Extreme Series

Twice the overall power and three times the service life of conventional batteries
Some batteries offer enormous cranking power. Others, deep cycle reserve power. Unbeatable ODYSSEY® Extreme Series™ batteries do both. Even at very low temperatures, ODYSSEY Extreme Series batteries have the power to provide engine-cranking pulses in excess of 2250 amps for 5 seconds – double to triple that of equally sized conventional batteries. And they can handle 400 charge-discharge cycles to 80% depth of discharge.

How so much power is possible
ODYSSEY Extreme Series batteries are made with flat plates made of 99.99% pure lead – not lead alloy. Pure lead plates can be made thinner, so we can fit more of them in the battery. More ODYSSEY battery plates mean more plate surface area. And that means more power – twice as much as conventional batteries.
Appears to be AGM, I like the idea of 80% discharge not being life-ending, and can mount any way you like.

Is this credible, has anyone used them?

Thanks,

manowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2019, 05:13 PM   #2

That's mosty hype.

All batteries can be discharged down 80%. 400 cycles is typical at that depth. 1000 cycles at 50%.

All AGM batteries can be mounted out of position.

Find the actual specs and compare them to other AGM batteries.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:23 PM   #3

$650 for a battery?
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:27 PM   #4

Thin plates are not a good thing for deep cycle. Thick plates last longer, that's why golf cart batteries are so durable. 6 volt AGM of another brand is my choice.

Thin plates are the design for cranking batteries. More surface area therefore more instantaneous amps.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
That's mosty hype.

All batteries can be discharged down 80%. 400 cycles is typical at that depth. 1000 cycles at 50%.

All AGM batteries can be mounted out of position.

Find the actual specs and compare them to other AGM batteries.
That's kind of what I was expecting. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2019, 07:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
Thin plates are not a good thing for deep cycle. Thick plates last longer, that's why golf cart batteries are so durable. 6 volt AGM of another brand is my choice.

Thin plates are the design for cranking batteries. More surface area therefore more instantaneous amps.
I don't see any way golf cart batteries are going to get me the amps close to what I'm looking for in the space that I have...
Old 01-11-2019, 07:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
$650 for a battery?
There are places that are less. and that's way cheaper than LiPo. Just balancing cost vs quality vs time....
Old 01-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Just MOP- Odyssey makes the very Best battery I have ever used !
I've had one in my old lawn mower the 15 years. I used the PC 680 in Indy Cars @ the 500 Race in 1998 in half the field -0- No Failures at all In fact their were 2 Alternator failures and that battery lasted the entire race and still had 12.3 volts . True Story .
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:54 PM   #9

For about the same price you can get Lifeline 255 a/h 8d agms.
Balancing cost vs quality vs time, Battle Born lithiums would probably win out, and they are light with a small footprint.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:20 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
They are dual purpose but more towards cracking amps. I found a deal on their PC2250...used for $75. Their cranking amps were still at or above specks BUT their reserve capacity was not. I would not recommend them for house batteries, especially at $500+.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:23 PM   #11

My experience echo's Chucks. I have a PC680 in the car in the avatar. No alternator. a lot of folks go all weekend without a re-charge, but I usually do a 10-15A recharge after each track session. They last about 5 years in my application and would likely do much better that that with an optimized charger, but I just use a schumaker since I also use a jump battery to get the car warm and I'd rather not deal with two chargers. The shock and vibration environment is severe and they are not mounted in such a way as to minimize the damage. Even after five years the performance is good enough to move them to running radios, trackside beacons, and the like. They just drain faster when old.

The best battery I've ever had was a Varley red top (now SBS) however they are very expensive and very finicky regarding re-charge, but I had one last nearly 10 years.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:59 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think the jury concedes that LiFePO4 are more expensive up front..,but less expensive per cycle and last longer than other technology available.

The drawback for a lot of us is keeping the batteries at cabin temperature. Most specify no charging below 32f/0c. Manufacturers recommend putting them in the Living space instead of basement compartments on motorhomes. If you have front bedroom...chances are the area under your bed would keep the warm in winter and cooler in summer...and be close to the Inverter in the front compartment...Lithiums are much lighter...so you could add more without increasing pin weight. You also don’t really have to worry about the Lithiums higher voltage overcharging the motorhome chassis batteries..just disconnect your tow vehicle when parked.

I have seen a coach with new BattleBorn Lithiums. His coach, at night will consume about 15% of his bank. The whole time the voltage differs by less than 3/100ths of a volt. Amazing. (Dry storage, no power)

The last piece of the puzzle. If you look into the tax code. There is a tax credit...that’s money right off your tax bill...for the cost of parts, and installation for solar in the year that it is put into operation. Certain restrictions apply, such as if you have already taken another energy credit. But it was 30% of your costs. Check to see what it might be for 2029. Lithium batteries are definitely part of the solar system. The RV qualifies as a second home...or perhaps primary home for some. So, if lifetime cost are reduced...and on top of that...a tax credit may also be available to boot. If it were me, just sayin’....I’d be all over those things.

Now...for those that cannot regulate temperature for the batteries well...or stay connected to shore power just about 100% of the time (like almost never use the aH out of the batteries...) then AGM’s have comparable longevity. If you actually use your batteries dry camping, or store without shore power and rely on solar...I think many will agree Lithium is better.

With shore power all the time...you can count on getting 100% SOC everyday. This is what Lead Acid technology needs to prevent sulphation and loss of storage capacity. Lithium on the other hand are actually happier not being at 100% SOC all the time. They can go extended periods when not at full charge. Some even recommend 50% Charge if storing long term. So, if you boondock, or store without shore power using solar for a charging source. It is better on Lithiums than Lead Acid.

Of course this is me reciting the things I’ve read...I am not a battery expert. But it might be worth a call to BattleBorn to see what they think. They would be handy to ask if you need a different converter for charging them. Most good solar charge controllers can be programmed easily to charge a Lithiums. So you might need to swap out the rigs converter...to one that will accept programming or is set up for Lithiums.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:45 PM   #13

As said above, If I am not in the coach, do not even use my inverter/charger, just solar. [do have Victron solar controllers]. No need to every worry about 100% SOC, the Battle Born's will shut down charge and discharge automatically if outside their parameters. Battle Born can tell you if your converter or inverter/charger can be set up for them.
If you are going to keep your 5th wheel for awhile, will be well worth the initial high cost.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:19 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
Check to see what it might be for 2029.
Oopps...thumb typing on iPAD. I meant 2019.

Tags
batteries, cat