Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2018, 07:00 AM   #1

Simple solar setup

I’ve just powered up my new solar setup on my truck camper. I took a slightly different approach than many people. I wanted to purchase American made components but settled on a Canadian made panel. My panel produces 300 watts at 32 volts. The panel is typically used on residential roof installations. My Midnite ( American made ) controller coverts the panel power to 12 volts which is stored in a AGM deep cycle sealed battery stored under my bunk. This system easily powers my Engel frig/freeze and all lights and misc 12 volt applications. The controller came with easy to follow directions covering the whole installation. Initially I found the whole process daunting but it’s really quite simple, positive and negative, with proper fuses and breakers . I chose not to install an inverter after I discovered the wide array of 12 volt appliances available. I am surprised how efficient the system is with panel flat on the roof. The total cost of the above system was approximately $1350.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8479D4DC-82F9-4C03-8A86-946F97EA7C87.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	521.8 KB
ID:	193039   Click image for larger version

Name:	AA85DA45-C73A-4B93-8118-6CD2C024ADF2.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	193040  

vermontbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2018, 07:25 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Very slick/smooth looking truck camper. People would pay you to do installs like that. Great for one person.

You picked a great solar controller. Did you install a battery monitoring system or just monitoring voltage?

Engle's receive excellent consumer ratings for a reason. You have a good eye for quality components.
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:47 PM   #3

Nice!! Impressive!!!
Old 02-21-2018, 05:53 AM   #4

Yes, I installed a Midnite battery monitoring system. The company recommended the additional ad on system if customer lives in a very cold or very hot climate. ( I live in Vermont but plan on extended stays in Southwestern deserts ). The system has a temperature sensitive monitor on the battery to automatically adjust charging voltage when it’s cold, and backs off charge when the battery heats up. I think the ad on cost around $100+/-. I highly recommend Midnite controllers. Thanks for the compliments, I’m not a techie, but it was a labor of love.
vermontbuild is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar