RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraura View Post
I don't have experience with any of the linked chargers, but I can tell you that I tried this one and it was not nearly enough.

I ended up just taking the battery home with me and leaving it on an electric battery charger like this one, and it was been trouble free.

The difference is the battery tender is outputting about 17 watts and the solar panel
you tried is only a tiny 1.5 watts

To account for less than optimal sunlight conditions, a 25 watt or larger solar panel may have given you more comparable results.

pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2015, 09:59 PM   #16

A 15 watt panel will give you barely one amp of charging current. It just might be enough if there are no draws. Best way to ensure that is to pull the negative cable from the battery. Depends also where you live. I live in the Pacific North West and last year my 420 watts of solar weren't enough being parked under tall trees and cloudy skies.
A fully charged battery will last months if disconnected. Longer in cooler (cold) temperatures. We leave a car at home from mid October until April 1st while we head south for the winter. Pull the negative cable in October it will still start the car in April (Though it really needs a charge!)

cdnrainbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:00 AM   #17

Don't Store Deep Cycle Batteries Without A Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnrainbirds View Post
A fully charged battery will last months if disconnected.....
This is untrue, they will be damaged but you canít detect the damage right away. From the moment you stop charging a deep cycle battery, lead sulfate begins to form. At about 30 days the structure of the amorphous sulfate starts changing into a crystal form that continues to harden over time. This chemical reaction is only stoppable by applying a charge current. Many thousands of pounds of the RV batteries we recycle each year are damaged from sulfation.

Your starting battery is made from different materials (less antimony) and thinner plates, less paste, and can withstand longer periods without charge current.

Larry
I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
BatteryPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:09 AM   #18

I ordered a Trick L Charger and installed it this weekend. As soon as I hooked up the clips the maintain light lit up and then it switched to maintain. Looks like it is doing the job.

While looking for it, I contacted a couple of the local RV shops. None had heard of it, and one shop tried to hook me up with a different $380 unit that only works in one direction. So I ordered online direct from the manufacturer.

I'm happy

wydeglyde is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, solar