Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2015, 08:11 PM   #1

Solar Panels

I'm researching solar panels and came across these:

1. 250 watt Solar World solar panels @$1.00 per/watt
2. 230 watt Schuco Solar Panels @$.85 per/watt

These are not Chinese Panels. Can somebody tell me good/bad, pros/cons or wasting my time and just go to AM Solar and get the kit.

Thanks
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2015, 08:37 PM   #2

It would help me if you provided some specs, a link perhaps? Thanks!
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
It would help me if you provided some specs, a link perhaps? Thanks!
These are selling as new on craigslist.
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:49 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
You should be able to find the specs online if they are from a reputable manufacturer. You need that info.

I purchased my SunPower E20 (327 watts each) panels on Craigslist and they have worked great. If you are looking at high voltage panels (often called "residential" panels), you will need an MPPT charge controller. These are more expensive but are also much more intelligent and efficient. IMO, if one has the physical space, the higher voltage panels and MPPT charge controller are the way to go (not only are they cheaper than 12 volt panels but they seem to do a better job at producing power (earlier and later in day and under cloudy sky) - no hard numbers, just an observation). Also, depending on what type of system you are putting together, up to nearly 500 watt panels are now available.

For a DIY type person, I am not a fan of the kits.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesdx1 View Post
These are selling as new on craigslist.
Good Luck!
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:39 PM   #6

Im now full timing and was in the market for some solar panels. Looked all over the web & was able to locate 255w solar panels for 81/watt. Place was in Placenta CA & I stopped by & picked up on will-call.

I'd stay away from Craigslist.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:25 PM   #7
Community Moderator

don't rule out craigslist yet. there are some legitimate companies advertising on craigslist. one from placenta (not sure you are buying from the same company) is advising in multiple cities. their prices are good.

i searched and got the lead from craigslist when i was in market then; ended up buying from them as they were carrying a number of big name panels in the region. i paid .70/w for 5 sunpower 240w panels - a high efficient product made in the usa if not the "high end" if one would think.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 03:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
don't rule out craigslist yet. there are some legitimate companies advertising on craigslist. one from placenta (not sure you are buying from the same company) is advising in multiple cities. their prices are good.

i searched and got the lead from craigslist when i was in market then; ended up buying from them as they were carrying a number of big name panels in the region. i paid .70/w for 5 sunpower 240w panels - a high efficient product made in the usa if not the "high end" if one would think.

Buy Solar Panels, Solar Power Kits, DIY Solar Panel Kits for Sale

I paid about 80/watt for the Gigawatt 255 panels. Will-call saves a TON on shipping.

While I was in Quartzsite last month Discount Solar was just opening. No deals on solar panels there. I also sniffed round the Yuma area as well, no deals.

Perhaps when the droves of vendors shows up later you should be able to find some good deals.

I'm half tempted to purchase a full pallet & haul it to the big show in Jan.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesdx1 View Post
I'm researching solar panels and came across these:

1. 250 watt Solar World solar panels @$1.00 per/watt
2. 230 watt Schuco Solar Panels @$.85 per/watt

These are not Chinese Panels. Can somebody tell me good/bad, pros/cons or wasting my time and just go to AM Solar and get the kit.

Thanks
There's nothing wrong with either brand. You can go with the kit, but you won't learn nearly as much in the process of doing so. Keep in mind that every solar installation is a series of compromises, especially if you are putting them on a small RV, like the truck camper that I have. Given that there is no standardized form factor(s) for RV solar panels the best panels are often the ones that you can make fit in the available space with the least amount of mounting headaches.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:11 PM   #10

I had the space to mount 4 255W panels on the roof. With the highter voltage panels you can run smaller gauge PV cable to an MPPT charge controller.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
Im now full timing and was in the market for some solar panels. Looked all over the web & was able to locate 255w solar panels for 81/watt. Place was in Placenta CA & I stopped by & picked up on will-call.

I'd stay away from Craigslist.
Hi Robert.....could you provide the name of the company. I live close by and may do the same. Thx in advance.
Xjaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjaywalker View Post
Hi Robert.....could you provide the name of the company. I live close by and may do the same. Thx in advance.
Buy Solar Panels, Solar Power Kits, DIY Solar Panel Kits for Sale
Old 12-29-2015, 12:05 PM   #13

As with many things in life, the lowest cost item quite often is not the best return on either investment, or functionality.

Especially if installing marginal total wattage, due to space constraints. And also for there traditional RV fixed mount vs being able to tilt the panels.

The efficiency of a panel can differ on both angle (producing more power at lower angles), temperature ranges, and actual output.

So paying perhaps 20, 30, 40% more upfront - could end up being a better overall value during the years of payback during usage. You also need to look our in yea 15, 20, 25 - as efficiencies will drop faster on lower quality panels, the the higher units.

(And, of course, if you have lots of roof real estate, going somewhere below 'toss away' cheap value panel to say medium quality and cost panels, can allow you to just add one or two more panels!!!) (Yeah, I can see it both ways!)

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:43 PM   #14

I could have spent about 6 months doing a cost analysis of all the hardware but I decided to get the job done. Bought 4 nice panels at a fair price, got a good deal on a Midnight Solar charge controller.

Great prices on ALL panels both good and bad!

I have herd lots of people squawking about tilting the panels and how you can get XX% more energy by tilting panels.

I decided to lay flat, no climbing up/down the ladder tilting. Oh, winds picking up, get up on the roof and drop the panels, OK the wind stopped, climb up on the roof and tilt the panels......NOT

Tags
panel, solar