Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #29

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
2 grand is realistic. Every nite free parking is $25 back in the pocket. Love it!
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #30

Land: I have been trying out every decent suggestion on where to buy and gain best pricing on components. Amazon.com seems to be a great way to price compare. since I am buying components as I am ready for their install and can afford the pricing.... I will try to buy up in quality in specific areas and still keep the project in my $2K project allowance. cabling seems to be an area where everyone agrees that we should not skimp. I will buy a decent cable quality and size to assure good installation. I also want a decent pure sine inverter. As big as I can afford on my budget. From what I can see already....you can go completely nuts buying an inverter.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #31

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
I posted a link to my install file a few posts ago. Yup lots of killer choices on invertors. I found the solar panels @ HDepot afterwards and saw 100 $ savings. ....anyway I'm happy so far.
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
The 2 brands of inverters/converters/chargers that most go with is either Magnum or Xantrex.
We upgraded our modified wave 1500 watt Xantrex to a 3000 watt pure sine wave one also from Xantrex. We also had to get some other new parts since the old one was old enough that they just do not make it anymore and have not for a few years. I think the price was around $1500 total. The Magnum that we could have gotten for that price was about 1000 watts less.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #33

okiejim,

I have also an 2003 kountry Star and thinking on doing the solar too. Would you please tell me how did you wire the panels through from the roof? Since our rig doesn't have the ref vent on the roof. Thanks
jules3454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a rubber roof and also have no reefer vent on the roof. But even if I did, the wire run would have been too far. I simply drilled a hole in the roof above the rear
closet and mounted a grey exterior electrical junction box over the hole.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #35

Thanks so47

Interesting. I also have a rubber roof and a rear right vent, but I have no clue where this will go.
jules3454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't know how far along you are on the knowledge curve on solar, it took me quite a bit of researching to feel ready to jump in. There are many on this board that are much more knowledgable than me. Doing a search on here and then posting unanswered questions is how I learned what I needed. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought my panels used via Craigslist and selected other components based upon cost/value - even managed to reduce the cost overall considerably from my initial target of ~$2K.

Here is a write-up of my 600/800w system and install with cost table.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VSheetz - Solar Setup for my RV v1.0.pdf (441.7 KB, 79 views)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarmor View Post
couldnt agree any more.

X's 2 - Well stated.

It is more then ROI, but if it was, that could be different to all of us. It's more then just $$.

Besides our usage, with a mix just starting to push towards 40% boon docking vs plug in usage. We also look at our RV as our Disaster Emergency Usage haven. We always keep it fully fueled up, water tanks ready, good staples including for our pets, medications on board, etc.

The ROI could be a lifesaving, or very much a life easing condition at times of emergency needs. How long will it take to get an infrastructure back up and distribution system flowing again after a disaster? That kind of ROI is something I hope we never need, but the comfort of knowing 'we are ready' is returning dividends daily.

We did overkill on our battery bank (800AH), Panels (1200W at 48V), PSW Inverter (at 2800) - more then we really need.

Also as stated, these RV's we have are more then about $$. They are about the freedom to go and do what we want, when we want. The SP's just add to the overall enjoyment and capability.

Opinions will vary, and that is ok,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
One more thing. Even if you do none of the install yourself, research like you are. If you don't, prepare to be hosed with a marginal to lousy install done with overpriced, inferior components.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by so47 View Post
One more thing. Even if you do none of the install yourself, research like you are. If you don't, prepare to be hosed with a marginal to lousy install done with overpriced, inferior components.
Fully agree - solar is an area where many installers can wire it together and physically install, but really don't know how to well design, size, and configure a system.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
Consider these qualitative and quantitative aspects of RV solar:
No noise from a generator.
No fumes from a generator.
No fueling a generator.
No hydrocarbon emissions into the atmosphere.
Maximizes battery life.
Low maintenance.
Safe and reliable.
Easy to use.
Electrical independence.
Some cost recovery possible at resale.
Meet people who are interested in solar and like to talk about it.
DIY systems have a definite ROI over their expected lifetime.
You forgot...continues to work after the Zombie Apocalypse!
Old 10-25-2013, 01:59 AM   #42

Jules3454,
Sorry for the delay but I have been busy building up a wind turbine at a s&b fun project. As far as my install goes. I have a 3740 which has a nocold 1200 4 door and I used the roof vent to run my wires down to my charge controller. I used #2 welding cable from the roof to the charge controller. I have an electrical box on the roof as a combiner for the panels. My charge controller is in the little compartment right next to the battery compartment on the passenger side. I'm suprised you don't have a vent for the fridge. What model kountry star is yours?
okiejim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar