Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2017, 06:39 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
System Component Evaluation Help Please

I have been doing a lot of studying and believe that i have settled on the final component choices for a new 1080 watt system on my new 2018 Entegra Anthem. I would very much appreciate any feedback on my list below.
• 6 – 180 watt Grape solar panels wired in three parallel 2 panel series
• AM solar combiner box with fuses for each panel input circuit
• Two 300ah Lithium batteries by Victron OR six 100ah Battle Born batteries. (trying to decide)
• Charge controller: Either the Victron SmartSolar MPPT 150/100-Tr OR the Magnum PT-100
• Battery Monitor: Either Tri-Metric 2030-RV OR Victron Color Control Monitor Kit
Any feedback appreciated!
Tom n Sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2017, 07:36 AM   #2

Victron is certainly pricey. But there is a level of value when you go with the same supplier for all the products. They will also talk to each other nicely. Technomadia likes Victron. May want to look at their setup.
My setup works well but I need to go to different devices to look at performance and levels. Budget was also a big deciding factor for me.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:53 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom n Sandra View Post
I have been doing a lot of studying and believe that i have settled on the final component choices for a new 1080 watt system on my new 2018 Entegra Anthem. I would very much appreciate any feedback on my list below.
• 6 – 180 watt Grape solar panels wired in three parallel 2 panel series
• AM solar combiner box with fuses for each panel input circuit
• Two 300ah Lithium batteries by Victron OR six 100ah Battle Born batteries. (trying to decide)
• Charge controller: Either the Victron SmartSolar MPPT 150/100-Tr OR the Magnum PT-100
• Battery Monitor: Either Tri-Metric 2030-RV OR Victron Color Control Monitor Kit
Who makes your Inverter?

The reason I ask is...the PT-100 charge controller needs the ME-ARC remote. If you have Magne Sine already installed...the ME-BMK battery monitor would be a very logical choice because it networks to that remote.

I have Flooded Lead Acid Batteries...other than that, exactly your setup...

I opted for the Victron. Love the Bluetooth control/monitoring... ME-BMK battery monitor, ME-ARC remote for the MS2812 Inverter (came std. on our coach)

I've recorded 1053 watts out of the installed 1080. System works great!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/2016...on-337300.html

Some of my pictures are oriented weird, for some reason...and the rant about performance at the end was all due to a cheap Dr. Watts solar meter which was way out of calibration...leading me to think my system was performing sub par.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:58 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Thanks For Sharing Charlie! i do not know yet what inverters i have only that there are two 3000 watt pure sine, waiting on that info from manufacturer. i will definitely spend some time studying your system to cull what i can from your hard work!
Tom n Sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:45 PM   #5

I think which ever you decide it will be a win. Nothing like the peace and quiet of solar. With the Me Arc that goes with the Magnum controller it just a matter of looking at the dispay it not as fancy as the Victron but gives the info your after.

I've had this system since March of last year. 12v 500ah lithium batteries (GBS LFMP battery system). There are 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts), 2 in series, 4 sets. Each set goes to the combiner box where all sets are in parallel. Panels lay flat on the roof. Magnum PT100 controller, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter. There is a 7" display monitor and the ME-ARC 50 to read the performance of the system. A sub panel was added so everything in the 5th wheel except the water heater is running through the inverter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160505_105435.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	171708  
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:36 AM   #6

Quote:

•6 – 180 watt Grape solar panels wired in three parallel 2 panel series

•AM solar combiner box with fuses for each panel input circuit

•Two 300ah Lithium batteries by Victron OR six 100ah Battle Born batteries. (trying to decide)

•Charge controller: Either the Victron SmartSolar MPPT 150/100-Tr OR the Magnum PT-100

•Battery Monitor: Either Tri-Metric 2030-RV OR Victron Color Control Monitor Kit

Honestly, you can't go wrong with Victron. Nothing against Magnum, but the Bluetooth integration and well thought out interconnection features of the Victron gear are unsurpassed. Also, I have an aversion to fan-cooled equipment, and the Magnum uses fan cooling while the Victron uses convection.

I would at least consider going with the Victron BMV-702 battery monitor as an alternate to the color control panel, unless you also plan to add other Victron components. Add the Bluetooth dongle and the temperature sensor and you have a first-rate remote monitoring setup.

I would also consider going with a combiner box with breskers, mounted down below as opposed to on the roof, and bring down three pairs of wires from the roof. Having everything in one spot makes it easier to isolate and troubleshoot should anything go wrong.

Looking over the Battle Born web site there seems to be a lack of solid informstion regarding their products. No data sheets, product manuals, third party safety evaluations or hard technical data gives me cause for concern. This is not to say that you'd have any issues, but as an electrician they are things that I always look for. Also, you'll find it's a lot easier to design and work around the connection of two batteries as opposed to six, if you have the space for the larger modules.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:56 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
System Component Evaluation Help Please

I just learned I have two 3000 watt Magnum Inverters. Can I still use a Victron charge controller or do I lose the advantages?
Old 08-06-2017, 08:34 AM   #8

Quote:
I just learned I have two 3000 watt Magnum Inverters. Can I still use a Victron charge controller or do I lose the advantages?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_Aug6201795301AM.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	171898

This is basically the system that you are considering, but with a Victron inverter. Connecting it with a Magnum inverter/charger is no problem, but you need to determine how to customize the charging settings of the Magnum to work with the Victron batteries. The Victron batteries require an external BMS control unit as shown. The BMV-700 would allow for monitoring of the lithium ion pack only, while a BMV-702 would also allow for monitoring of your coach battery. The new BMV-712 is also dual channel, but has the Bluetooth built in.

While it's unlikely that you'll be running the inverters at full load, if you do the batteries will be about maxed out.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:35 AM   #9

Your system will also be 12V, not 24V, unlike the one shown.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Are you saying that you will have 2 Magnum hybrid inverters wired into the system?
Old 08-06-2017, 01:39 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinerant1 View Post
Are you saying that you will have 2 Magnum hybrid inverters wired into the system?
The real advantage to having the PT-100 is only that it can use the same parameters as the Inverter's built-in charger as far as the charge profiles. So you only have to set it in one location.

The other advantage is that IF you have Flooded Lead Acid batteries...then the Inverter/Charger and PT-100 Solar Charge Controller will work in harmony and observe the Charge AMP limitation. This is because Flooded Lead Acid batteries cannot handle high amperage charge rates. My Interstates are limited to C/10; where C= 20hr AH capacity of the bank. My bank is 928 AH capacity...so 928/10 = 92.8 Amp max charge rate. Okay...now forget all that. AGM and Lithium Batteries have much lower resistance, and can handle LOTS of amps. Probably more than your chargers and solar can possibly put out all together.

Anyway, even with my limitation of 92.8A charge rate...I have no problem charging with the Victron SmartSolar 150/100-TR MPPT. It is easily configured to the required charge voltages. The ME-ARC remote can be configured a number of ways...I prefer to use the CC/CV charge, which I have set to monitor my ME-BMK Amperage...so the MS2812 is limited to a total charge rate of 90amps (closest number it will accept to 92.8)...this could be from the Victron Solar, and/or the MS2812 Inverter/Charger.

Another nice thing...when I'm home, I still connect to shore power...but I set the Inverter AC-IN to SOC (State of Charge)... What does this mean??? Well, simply put...my Air Conditioners will run off the shore power, to keep the humidity down in the coach while stored. Everything else, Residential Fridge, Lights, etc....are running off the Solar...with one caveat. Should my SOC dip below my preset value...shore power will pass thru the inverter and also run the MS2812 battery charger. I set it this way to lower my FPL electric bill by using solar, but I still have an automatic back-up in case I'm away and we have many dark and rainy days in a row. A back-up in case the Solar isn't getting enough Sunlight.

The reason I didn't go with the PT-100 is because it is a much taller unit. I was interested in mounting it in our pass-thru bay, up between the frame rails. I read the installation instructions, and they required a certain number of inches clearance above the unit. With the measurements, I could already see the unit would be hanging down so low that it could be in the way of stuff stored on our pass-thru bay rolling tray. The Victron mounted up between the frame rails without hanging down...and I really like the built-in Bluetooth monitoring and control. Very, very happy with the Victron.

I don't have a Lithium setup...but I've read lots of good remarks regarding Victron components and thier ability to integrate better with the Lithium battery systems use of safety cutouts, etc...due to cell imbalances or HI/LO temperature limits. Sorry I can't be of more help with that. AM Solar website has some installs they've done...and I see Victron being used in a lot of thier Lithium Installations. Maybe they can give you some advice in that arena.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:45 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I forgot to mention.

The PT-100 also "sees" the ME-TP temperature probe thru the network... and adjusts the charge profile for ambient battery temperatures. Victron is working on a temp probe...but I don't think they have a release date yet.

Again, Lithium...----from what I understand ----doesn't need this type of charge algorithm adjustment. The Battery Management System used in conjunction with Lithium handles all the details instead. This is the impression that I am under anyway, from things I've read.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:04 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think the whole reason for Inverters is to be able to run 110vac appliances and outlets from battery power. Otherwise...stuff just gets power from shore/generator ...and with hybrid Inverters ...you can use both. So there is another advantage. I'm just thinking out loud...is 600 amps of Lithium sufficient to power TWO 3000 watt inverters??? I just have a 2800 watt model, and it is hooked up to 928 aH (464 aH usable with 50% depth of discharge limit). I understand that Lithiums can use a full 80% of thier capacity routinely...but that's just 480 aH w/ a 600 aH bank.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
I think the whole reason for Inverters is to be able to run 110vac appliances and outlets from battery power. Otherwise...stuff just gets power from shore/generator ...and with hybrid Inverters ...you can use both. So there is another advantage. I'm just thinking out loud...is 600 amps of Lithium sufficient to power TWO 3000 watt inverters??? I just have a 2800 watt model, and it is hooked up to 928 aH (464 aH usable with 50% depth of discharge limit). I understand that Lithiums can use a full 80% of thier capacity routinely...but that's just 480 aH w/ a 600 aH bank.
That's what I was wondering about myself if both hybrids are going to be hooked up then split loads between them?

I'll speak from experience from my system with the Magnum hybrid that it works nicely with "load sharing" feature which is only used when air conditioner is needed and I hook the Honda 2000 generators up. On that note 1 will start the AC but will spike a fault with 2 hondas running no spike. Other than that there is no shortage of power.