Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2016, 05:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggem View Post
I don't understand how a solar panel will help? If you run the gen set before bed are do you not have a full charge on your batteries?
Im thinking I need to replace my two house batteries, and there is actually room for a third one so I think I will see if that helps.
Thanks for the reply.
lead acid batteries charge quickly to 80% then take hours more to get to 100%. Lithium ions charge to 100% quickly. If you are relying on the converter in your unit most are simple trickle chargers and do not have multiple charging patterns that are desired to fully charge batteries. On my last RV no matter how long I was plugged in or ran a generator the converter never would charge the batteries fully. After 2 1/2 weeks of being plugged in it only got the batteries to 51%. My new RV came with an upgraded converter with 3 set charging patterns. I replaced that one with a Magnum inverter that I could customize the charging pattern to my battery specs.

The first thing I install on all RVs now is a Trimetric controller so I know exactly how charged my batteries are all the time.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2016, 05:23 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Quote:
Hope im posting in the proper place? I'm looking for a solar battery charger/maintainer to use during outdoor winter storage, and instructions on how to install. Also looking for a way to run my wife's CPAP off batteries when we occasionally boondock. I bought the inverter (resmed) but she only get 4/5 hours off the house batteries

The inverter is not as efficient on battery power as getting the DC converter.

Which resmed machine do you have? I have the S9 auto set and it can run directly from the 12 volt batteries with this converter.....much more efficiently than using the inverter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1480206190.359757.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	145366
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:44 AM   #17

mocarski, which inverter did you buy and how do you program to battery specs?

pasdad1, it is my wifes machine and I believe it is an S9, and that is the converter I bought for her, and with that she only gets about 4 hours till the batteries die????
hoggem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:45 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is my ten cents worth. First you need more batts, 4 batts, 6 volt or 12 volt doesn't make any difference, you need more amp storage. 2nd, you need at least 200 watts of solar panels to recharge those batts during the day. Most after market installers run the charge wire down through the fridge compartment to the batts, but there are always exceptions. Get a charge controller that is rated at higher than the total output of your solar panels. you can check the one you have now, but more than likely it will have to be replaced. good luck
Old 11-27-2016, 09:11 AM   #19

Quote:
mocarski, which inverter did you buy and how do you program to battery specs?
hoggem, I have the MS2812 - 2800W Pure Sine Inverter Charger MS Series | Magnum Dimensions

When you buy the remote panel you get access to the programming end of the unit. You select the type of batteries you have. They have preset charging patterns for wet cell and agm and there is also a custom option. When you select custom you can program the voltages you want going to the batteries for bulk, absorb, and float charges. You can also set the length of the charging patterns based on time or voltage levels in the batteries.

There are a lot of inverters on the market and Magnum is not on the less expensive side but it is the best and worth the money in my opinion.

For battery monitoring Trimetric is phenomenal. I have both a Trimetric and Magnum's BMK and the Trimetric is more accurate, measures a much lower draw, and is able to read the battery levels when the Magnum cannot.

If you go solar consider a Morningstar charge controller. There are many others on the market but Morningstar makes the best. MPPT controllers are not the same. Morningstar is one of the very few who have really figured it out. Many of the other companies exaggerate their products. Morningstar just works as advertised. So does Magnum. Worth the money by a crap ton in my opinion.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:17 AM   #20
Community Moderator

Thinking of solar

Quote:

pasdad1, it is my wifes machine and I believe it is an S9, and that is the converter I bought for her, and with that she only gets about 4 hours till the batteries die????

Your original post said you bought an "inverter".....which is also sold to power a CPAP from a battery.....if you bought the DC-DC converter then that is good.

You should turn OFF the heater on the humidification chamber.....you can still fill the humidifier with water....the unit just won't try to heat it. The heater takes a great deal of power compared to just the CPAP function.

This is taken from Resmed documentation ....if your batteries only power the S9 for four hours, either you have other items stealing power from your batteries, or your batteries are ruined and need to be replaced.

The chart specifies a 13 ah battery should power it at least 8 hours.....just one group 31 battery is at least 100 ah........

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1480270620.720162.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	145431
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:55 AM   #21

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you do install a solar system, should read the following, it could save a lots of issues with a poor system. It's kinda long, but it covers a great deal of information. Many things others have said above is good information, but this article brings it all together in one place.

Good luck and safe travels.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:27 PM   #22

rarebear,

Where is the article you are referring to?
hoggem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 03:21 PM   #23

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oh- my bad sorry about that, here it is:

RV Electrical
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-27-2016, 08:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocarski View Post
Morningstar just works as advertised. So does Magnum.
But apparently not the BMK according to you.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:23 PM   #25

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What's a BMK?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-27-2016, 10:10 PM   #26

Battery monitor.
Attached Images

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:53 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
But apparently not the BMK according to you.
Most people would be thrilled at the Magnum BMK and wouldn't notice the differences unless both were installed side by side. The Magnum works but the Trimetric is better. If I was doing it again I'd skip the Magnum BMK since the Trimetric isn't very expensive.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:01 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
Oh- my bad sorry about that, here it is:

RV Electrical
That is an excellent source of info but it is a little outdated. You can now run A/C on batteries if you have enough lithium ion batteries. I disagree with his order of upgrades. I'd do the BMK first. Without a BMK you don't know how much power your RV systems really draw so sizing the battery bank becomes more about guesswork and other's experiences.

Tags
solar