Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2018, 05:52 PM   #29

I only had to change P20 from 15% to 10, and P15 to 15.9v.

My %charged was down to 71, so I checked the specific gravity of the battery's and they were both over 1.3, so for some reason I don't think the % charged is accurate right now, maybe because I have been changing parameters?

Next step is to pull the Coach out and let it sit in the sun(if it ever decides to shine here again) and see how it behaves.

I also attached the Temp sensor to the Neg terminal as instructed but am still trying to figure out a good way to insulate it from ambient air.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2018, 01:56 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
I only had to change P20 from 15% to 10, and P15 to 15.9v.

My %charged was down to 71, so I checked the specific gravity of the battery's and they were both over 1.3, so for some reason I don't think the % charged is accurate right now, maybe because I have been changing parameters?

Next step is to pull the Coach out and let it sit in the sun(if it ever decides to shine here again) and see how it behaves.

I also attached the Temp sensor to the Neg terminal as instructed but am still trying to figure out a good way to insulate it from ambient air.
Motor7,

It sounds like the shunt might not be hooked up properly to the battery, that is usually the common cause of odd numbers. Is your house battery bank split up in two different compartments???

Just so you are aware, everything that you described initially with you high charging worked as it was supposed to. Searching_UT explained it really well.
Also, in Bogart's SC-2030 User Manual, on page 12, section 6.4 reads, in part: The P8 'high voltage limit" setting is not installed by the install profile. Some systems (often in RV's) don't allow battery voltage as high as typically recommended for charging batteries. If you must impose a maximum voltage limit, use program P8 to set voltage from exceeding this value, even during low temperature--although this could compromise ideal charging. To disable, place it to a voltage that your system will never reach, such as 65V.
(so they do warn about exceeding the voltage)
Page 15 shows a detailed diagram, that explains how the 4 charging dimensions work.

If you need more info or help, PM me.
'95 Safari Serengeti 38', 300hp 6CTA8.3L Cummins, 6spd. Allison, Pac brake, Magnum chassis, Valvet Ride (torsilastic susp.), VW Jetta TDI toad, Big tripple bay window (from floor to ceiling cabinets)!!!
beach house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:21 AM   #31

Motor7,

I forgot to mention, to play it safe for your coach systems, you might be better off setting P8 to 15.5V instead of 15.9V. I never had issues from the peak high voltage, the only thing that would happened, is the inverter would shut down. The only oddities I saw, was the Kiwiki steps would get wacky and the inverter would temporarily shut of, because the high voltage would exceed the inverter high limit setting. Nothing ever broke or burned up, but I do have an older coach.
I would also suggest to temorarily change the setting of P8, when you need to equalize.
'95 Safari Serengeti 38', 300hp 6CTA8.3L Cummins, 6spd. Allison, Pac brake, Magnum chassis, Valvet Ride (torsilastic susp.), VW Jetta TDI toad, Big tripple bay window (from floor to ceiling cabinets)!!!
Old 05-25-2018, 03:54 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach house View Post
Motor7,

I forgot to mention, to play it safe for your coach systems, you might be better off setting P8 to 15.5V instead of 15.9V. I never had issues from the peak high voltage, the only thing that would happened, is the inverter would shut down. The only oddities I saw, was the Kiwiki steps would get wacky and the inverter would temporarily shut of, because the high voltage would exceed the inverter high limit setting. Nothing ever broke or burned up, but I do have an older coach.
I would also suggest to temorarily change the setting of P8, when you need to equalize.
I wonder if changing the setting to a higher voltage to equalize is a good idea? Maybe before doing that I should disconnect the coach side from the batteries?

So far 15.9 seems to be ok, but I will lower is when it's out of the shop for the second time in three weeks....grrrrr.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:04 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach house View Post
Motor7,

It sounds like the shunt might not be hooked up properly to the battery, that is usually the common cause of odd numbers. Is your house battery bank split up in two different compartments???
No, the shunt is hooked up correctly. House battery's(2) are both under the entry steps.

I admit the directions Bogart sends cover things that are a bit over my head, is I must have missed the reference to high voltage and RV's. If in fact over 16V's can damage any other component on a RV I really think that information should addressed a little better. A separate page and bold print would not cost them a dime, but could get the attention of someone like me that has very rudimentary experience with advanced electrical components. Did I pull that off without making it sound like I'm an electrical moron?
Old 05-26-2018, 08:59 AM   #34

Motor7,

Disconnecting the coach while equalizing is a good idea, and that is what many do to avoid potential problems. It's a balance of protecting your electronics vs protecting/extending the life and performance of your batteries. The way your system is designed to charge with the mini equalize charge, I don't think the traditional equalize is as crucial, unless you are either running the batteries below 50% and/or going for several days without achieving a 100% charge. If you are not having issues with having your maximum voltage set between 15.5-15.9 volts then your are at a good and balanced compromise. Personally, I feel that 16.2 is a bit aggressive. For large/tall L16 type batteries, I can understand them wanting to boost voltage to stir things up, but the smaller ones just seems overkill.
I hope you can get back on the road soon! If you are still having issues with the percent charged, let us know.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:05 AM   #35

Thanks Beach. Coach is still in the shop and it should be ready in a day or two....fingers crossed....
Old 06-27-2018, 12:27 PM   #36

Motor7,

How is the solar working for you, did you get everything adjusted to your RVs needs? Did the RV repairs go ok?
Old 06-28-2018, 12:28 PM   #37

It's home, and when out from under it's carport I checked the voltage frequently....so far so good. We have not taken a trip yet, but this week we will be boondocking at our swimming hole then later in July we head to Manitoba, so that should tell the tale.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:11 PM   #38

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
later in July we head to Manitoba
Motor7,
I was born and partially raised in Winnipeg, take lots of bug spray! There's a small town north of Winnipeg called Komarno which means mosquito in Ukrainian and they sell little tiny leg hold traps at the tourist center to supposedly catch them little buggers. Sorry to hijack the thread, now back to original topic.
Grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:13 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grump010 View Post
Motor7,
I was born and partially raised in Winnipeg, take lots of bug spray! There's a small town north of Winnipeg called Komarno which means mosquito in Ukrainian and they sell little tiny leg hold traps at the tourist center to supposedly catch them little buggers. Sorry to hijack the thread, now back to original topic.
Ha, yes, I was raised in southern Louisiana and I thought I knew what a mosquito could do....then I visited Manitoba

Actually the wife is from Minnedosa MB and we have a house there, so we bounce up once or twice a year. Minnedosa "Rock in the Fields" -
Rockin' the Fields – Canada's Premier Classic Rock Festival is back

this year has some great bands including Chilliwack, so we are parking Sheila right there at the rockfest.

Btw, I always travel armed....propane powered mozzie fogger
Old 07-07-2018, 09:39 PM   #40

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Whoa, what an incredible lineup of bands. Should be an awesome time in big sky country.
Grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:39 PM   #41

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
Hi,

I used a slice of pool noodle about 1.5 inches long and plugged the "hole" with another little bit of pool noodle

Quote:
insulate negative post.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:17 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianotuna View Post
Hi,

I used a slice of pool noodle about 1.5 inches long and plugged the "hole" with another little bit of pool noodle
Good idea, I'll do that!