Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2019, 09:20 AM   #1

Towing a Camper w/a Tesla

Tesla has a 5000# limit w/ a self adjusting suspension. Re-charges at a campsite.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...-superchargers

Not quite perfect but getting closer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2019, 09:32 AM   #2

Sounds like it would be ok for short trips. I don't think I would want to go cross country with one.Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1537728094973.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	241222
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
Sounds like it would be ok for short trips. I don't think I would want to go cross country with one.Attachment 241222
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:12 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm going to stick with my fuel guzzling class A for the time being. Until they can make an electric RV that can go 500 miles on a charge and recharge in 15 minutes I'm sticking with liquid petroleum based fuel.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:34 AM   #5

I read a Coleman outdoor recreation study some time ago that said the majority of campers travel 150 miles or less.

Range anxiety is the biggest obstacle for electric vehicles but with a 200 mile range a majority of the trailer campers may find this a viable option.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Absurd. Who wants the charging hassles and range issues? It reminds me of trying to fill a swimming pool through a straw.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:10 PM   #7

The article states they charged at Tesla supercharging stations. Im sure if everyone started charging cars at the campground, the fees for electricity would have to go up. Other articles Ive read state that we could supply the earth with four times more electricity than we need with geo thermal. If this is the case, why don't we get working on it. Im sure Radar will chime in soon. lol
Old 04-09-2019, 09:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
The article states they charged at Tesla supercharging stations. Im sure if everyone started charging cars at the campground, the fees for electricity would have to go up. Other articles Ive read state that we could supply the earth with four times more electricity than we need with geo thermal. If this is the case, why don't we get working on it. Im sure Radar will chime in soon. lol
It's all about the cost to access that energy. Geothermal is only available in specific locations at a cost-effective level. So, I'm sure they could supply all kinds of geothermal energy if the price of other electricity skyrocketed for whatever reason. Kinda like how the amount of oil reserves is completely dependent on the price of oil.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:38 PM   #9

I've always been a gas/diesel guzzling guy. Big engines, lots of power. But there's no denying electric has come a long way in the last few years. I'm all for r&d to make electric more viable and practical. I don't think it's quite there yet, but it's close.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:13 AM   #10

There are a couple model X’s Pulling those aliners in our area. Good camping spots are easy to find within a 100 km here. Last year we noticed a local quite often pulling his 18 foot bow rider quite on the weekend. Model X is nice, kinda big though.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRider View Post
It's all about the cost to access that energy. Geothermal is only available in specific locations at a cost-effective level. So, I'm sure they could supply all kinds of geothermal energy if the price of other electricity skyrocketed for whatever reason. Kinda like how the amount of oil reserves is completely dependent on the price of oil.
That's why I still contend that hydrogen is the way of the future, as well as electric cars. The hydrogen can be produced anywhere that the electricity can be created. It can then be stored, and transported elsewhere. That is the problem with electricity, you cant store it easily. If we have the ability to make excess electricity in one area, whether it be from geo, solar, wind, or ocean power, creating hydrogen at least gives you the means to save the excess.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
That's why I still contend that hydrogen is the way of the future, as well as electric cars. The hydrogen can be produced anywhere that the electricity can be created. It can then be stored, and transported elsewhere. That is the problem with electricity, you cant store it easily. If we have the ability to make excess electricity in one area, whether it be from geo, solar, wind, or ocean power, creating hydrogen at least gives you the means to save the excess.
Good point! And a really interesting thought experiment. I mean, the stuff can be very cleanly burned, can be converted back to electricity via fuel cell, and could possibly make synthetic natural gas. I'm going to have to do some reading on this. I'm glad you brought this up!
Old 04-10-2019, 03:45 PM   #13

Toronto is looking into a hydrogen powered train system. They had buses running on hydrogen 10 or 15 years ago. Here is an interesting read from the Toronto Star on hydrogen vehicles.
https://www.thestar.com/business/201...transport.html
The article says that 1 litre of water has 11,ooo litres of hydrogen. Interesting.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:10 PM   #14

I think hydrogen is a cool concept, the problem seems in affordable accessibility. Electricity is available in every household and with no special handling or safety issues. I do think Hydtogen has some great future commercial applications.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing