Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2016, 05:38 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
TriMetric meter. Cart before the horse?

Looking into solar, but I want to get an idea of our actual power usage, and get a grip on how (if) our batteries are charged. The Bogart TriMetric TM-2030-RV looks like a great tool for this. Is this overkill?

One concern is that this meter is designed to pair with the SC2030 charge controller, which has a max 30 amp current. If I go that route when I install solar, will that be enough capacity? If not does the TriMetric play nice with other charge controllers that can handle more panels?

I'm looking for a system that will power our (LED) lights, water pump, and heater fan, the wife's 12v CPAP, and maybe a few hours of satellite TV each night.
Blandry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2016, 05:48 PM   #2

TriMetric meter. Cart before the horse?

If buying and installing that meter is putting the cart before the horse, then mines right there with you. I have that meter and the 500A shunt and the connecting cable. Just haven't installed it yet.

To my knowledge, it will only interface with and control the Bogart CC, but will monitor any battery system regardless of the CC (within its operating parameters, of course.

I think it will serve your purpose nicely.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:59 PM   #3

The battery monitor will play nice with any solar controller.

I have a TriMetric monitor and a TS MPPT60 controller.

I had the monitor for a year and collected actual, usable data, before the solar install.

The monitor was an important tool for sizing my battery bank and then solar design.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:02 PM   #4

Bob-

I installed a Trimetric 2025 on our former coach (no solar) and was very pleased with it. HandyBob has some nice things to say about it, too.

The Magnum BMK has a following among folks that already have Magnum products in their coaches. As "drdarrin" says, though, the Trimetric will work with other folks' inverters and solar controllers just fine.

I plan on installing a 2030 in our current coach, when funds and time allow.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:12 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Trimetric first is a great way to go. It will work with any solar controller you later install.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:22 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I am in complete agreement with twinboat and Vince! It is an excellent first purchase and will teach you a great deal about your needs which will help you a great deal when designing your solar system.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:57 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks to all! Nice to get guidance from some solar vets.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:35 PM   #8

Under 100a DC?

http://www.amazon.com/bayite-6-5-100...9DQX35PQ13A0V0
wankel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:52 PM   #9

I just installed the TriMetric this past weekend in prep for the remaining solar install. Seems like the logical first step. I will be using the SC2030 and I installed it at the same time (just no PV yet). Bogart states that you can run two SC-2030s BUT the TriMetric will only display all the data from ONE of the chargers, still controls both however. This is what I'm planning should I desire to exceed the 31amp max. of one charger. I'm pre-wiring the additional roof to charger location in anticipation of this. Here is the link, which is kinda buried on the Bogart site. http://www.bogartengineering.com/wp-...-2030-Rev1.pdf
Old 06-02-2016, 04:14 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbrnr View Post
I just installed the TriMetric this past weekend in prep for the remaining solar install. Seems like the logical first step. I will be using the SC2030 and I installed it at the same time (just no PV yet). Bogart states that you can run two SC-2030s BUT the TriMetric will only display all the data from ONE of the chargers, still controls both however. This is what I'm planning should I desire to exceed the 31amp max. of one charger. I'm pre-wiring the additional roof to charger location in anticipation of this. Here is the link, which is kinda buried on the Bogart site. http://www.bogartengineering.com/wp-...-2030-Rev1.pdf
When/if you add the second charge controller, I will be very anxious to hear about your experience. Looks like an elegant solution to the capacity issue, but you'll be a pioneer! Bogart says they can't see any reason why it won't work - makes it sound like no one has tried it yet. Means an extra wire run from the panels, but splitting the array means you can get away with smaller wire without incurring voltage loss. Let us know!