Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2017, 10:18 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
Don't know if you are referring to the Morningstar or the Trimetric. I have attached the spec for the Trimetric.
Thanks. I do not have a Trimetric and I have no idea what data transmission model is used by Trimetric. I will avoid commenting on anything re Trimetric.

Morningstarcorp(MS) devices can work as MODBUS RTU clients. I don't have any MS meters. My RPi3 serves as a meter/server for my SS MPPT 15L while using the MODBUS RTU model to request data.

IIRC, I was reading about a Magnum inverter/charger that uses MODBUS RTU in server mode and sends a continuous message based stream in MODBUS RTU model format. Any device trying to read the data stream should wait for the inter-message silence to know when to start recording. That is what I took to mean discard until a new message begins.

I do have a Magnum inverter/charger but am not working on accessing that yet.

John
full_mosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by full_mosey View Post
Thanks. I do not have a Trimetric and I have no idea what data transmission model is used by Trimetric. I will avoid commenting on anything re Trimetric.
Just trying to be helpful, this thread DID mention Trimetric and, as such, I appended the spec. Wasn't soliciting comments.

ModBus is somewhat easier to interface with.

Thanks
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:57 AM   #31

sbrownstien and all,
I am sorry I may have messed up mentioning the trimetric in this thread. Maybe I should just start a new thread. I do appoligize for any inconvience. It's nice to see the interest in all of this. I am not a programmer just playing around and learnining. Sorry again.
JIm
okiejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:43 PM   #32

I'm making good progress in capturing data from the MS MPPT 15L.

Here is a graph taken from the ramdisk. It shows data at 1 minute intervals.

Yesterday eve, I drew 1130 Wh from the 270AH bank of AGMs. I estimate that 113AH will be needed to replenish(simply divide Wh by 10). So far, and at solar Noon We see ~67Ahs replenishment. I used a Kill-A-Watt to measure the 1130Wh.

Also, note that there is a weather report. Look at Array Volts where they are choppy early on. The morning started with broken clouds and has changed to mostly sunny.

There is a lot of info there.

This graph depicts a summarized view since 14:00 yesterday when I initiated the capture.

John
Old 05-26-2017, 05:39 AM   #33

John,
That really looks nice. Great work. I only wish I could program that good. Maybe someday, for now I am just having fun. I guess PHP is the way to go as you have some really nice graphs started here. Thank you for sharing your experience.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:40 PM   #34

okijim;

Thanks for the kind words.

Happy Trails!
John
Old 05-28-2017, 07:33 AM   #35

Scott,
I am so sorry I forgot to tell you I also looked at you script. Very nice. Easy to read. Much cleaner than I could have done. PHP seems real simular to Python in that it is in english on what the commands do. Thank you again for your sharing of you knowledge and time.
JIm