Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2019, 05:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
A few assumptions...

-The new inverter/charger is capable of adequately charging your batteries

-The new inverter/charger has adequate wiring running to the batteries

-The chassis battery charging while plugged in (if it was there before) is still working with the old converter capped off

-The install of the new inverter/charger is not relying on the old wiring to/from the old converter

If these are all true, then I'm flummoxed as to why he recommended anything other than removing the old one. What am I missing?
Your not missing anything. I think you hit everything right on. Except I don't no what "Flummoxed" means.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2019, 06:00 PM   #16

Yeah - you never want to power a conventional converter/charger from an inverter/charger. That creates a loop with lots of loss due to heat and inefficiency. You'll run down the batteries in a really short time doing that.

The only scenario I can come up with that could explain why he left the converter would be if the new inverter/charger has limited output to the batteries. You should charge at max of about 10% of total capacity, which would be about 40 amps in this case. So, if for instance the inverter/charger was only capable of putting out 20 amps one might piggyback the converter/charger to give it a boost while plugged in or on generator. That said, I haven't seen a modern inverter/charger not capable of adequately charging on its own.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:55 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
My Inverter/charger is wired in to the whole house, and it does a great job of charging the battery's when plugged into shore power

I have the battery wire on the converter "unhooked" everything in the 5ver works this way.
I had the same situation years ago with a previous motorhome. When I added the inverter/charger I not only unhooked the factory cheap converter but I physically removed it from the motorhome. The Magnum charger did a much better job of charging and with solar I feel I did not need a third backup to the inverters charger and solar charger. With the whole coach on the inverter you may very well run into the case where your original converter is using battery power to run its charger.

I think your gut feeling is correct, leave the original converter disconnected.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter