RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-21-2019, 10:56 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: spokane valley wa state
Posts: 13
Upgrade batteryborn battery/alternator/bim

need some confirmation I have research for this upgrade and I think I need a li-bim 225 for the alternator to charge my 4ea lifepo4.i am no expert and still kind new to solar and lithium
I do have solar panels and Victron 100/50 charge controller/Victron 3000w inverter/ charger/bmv712/color monitor for the upgrade
my coach is a 08 Fleetwood bounder
I need to know if the new bim need to be installed in the bcc(battery control center) and if this is the wiring diagram that I need to figure out how to wire up this new bim or can I do without the battery isolation manger(bim)

thanks for your help
tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fleetwood-southwind-intellitec-battery-control-center-wiring-diagram-9 (2).jpg
Views:	11
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	264385  
__________________

__________________
08 Fleetwood 32k bounder
14 jeep polar for a tow vehicle
TNTRVING is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2019, 04:45 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 19,371
To install without tearing up the original system, run battery size cables, as marked with red lines, to the BIM.

Remove, and separately tape up, the small wires in the green circle.

The only other thing needed is the aux start switch wire moved to the BIM.

You don't need the BIM for charging the lithiums with shore or generator power. You need it to protect the chassis battery from overcharging while charging the lithiums or discharging while using them.

While on the road, the BIM protects the alternator from overheating because lithium batteries take all the amps you can send them. Alternators can't handle full output full time.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-10-22-05-33-02.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	264389
__________________

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:53 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: spokane valley wa state
Posts: 13
thanks twinboat for responding and I found the bcc in the first compartment on the passenger side that houses the bcc and my propane tank and I am assume the automatic charging and aux start relay is being replace with the new bim and I assuming this old relay is underneath the circuit board and I need to disconnect the chassis battery ca and the house battery ca and connect to the new bim and ground the new bim not sure if the y on the old relay is the aux start wire switch

hopefully I am on the right track and not confusing myself
here the diagram I found on the cover of the bcc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191022_160531[491].jpg
Views:	10
Size:	369.6 KB
ID:	264446   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191022_160450[490].jpg
Views:	10
Size:	434.0 KB
ID:	264447  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191022_160435[492].jpg
Views:	9
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	264448  
__________________
08 Fleetwood 32k bounder
14 jeep polar for a tow vehicle
TNTRVING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:17 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 19,371
It looks like your system uses copper links between the relays. Removing the solenoid leaves some connections in the air.

If you disable the automatic relay, ( remove the control wires ) while leaving it in place, you can add cables from any of the points I marked, to your BIM terminals once you find a place to mount it nearby.

The yellow marks go to the chassis batteries and the red marks go to the house ( coach ) batteries.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-10-22-20-07-15.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	264450
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:01 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: spokane valley wa state
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
To install without tearing up the original system, run battery size cables, as marked with red lines, to the BIM.

Remove, and separately tape up, the small wires in the green circle.

The only other thing needed is the aux start switch wire moved to the BIM.

You don't need the BIM for charging the lithiums with shore or generator power. You need it to protect the chassis battery from overcharging while charging the lithiums or discharging while using them.

While on the road, the BIM protects the alternator from overheating because lithium batteries take all the amps you can send them. Alternators can't handle full output full time.Attachment 264389




twinboat I should be getting my new bim and think I know what you are saying about the battery cable to the new bim and the ign on the new bim goes to a on/off switch on the coach and ground goes to a ground on the coach.….but the only thing is the aux start switch is that the switch for the coach to assist when the chassis battery is low to help start the coach?
sorry to sound such newbie cause I am...

thanks again
__________________
08 Fleetwood 32k bounder
14 jeep polar for a tow vehicle
TNTRVING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:06 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: spokane valley wa state
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRVING View Post
twinboat I should be getting my new bim and think I know what you are saying about the battery cable to the new bim and the ign on the new bim goes to a on/off switch on the coach and ground goes to a ground on the coach.….but the only thing is the aux start switch is that the switch for the coach to assist when the chassis battery is low to help start the coach?
sorry to sound such newbie cause I am...

thanks again
and I am assuming the aux start switch hook up to the sig on the new bim
__________________
08 Fleetwood 32k bounder
14 jeep polar for a tow vehicle
TNTRVING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:22 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Southwest USA
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRVING View Post
need some confirmation I have research for this upgrade and I think I need a li-bim 225 for the alternator to charge my 4ea lifepo4.i am no expert and still kind new to solar and lithium
I do have solar panels and Victron 100/50 charge controller/Victron 3000w inverter/ charger/bmv712/color monitor for the upgrade
my coach is a 08 Fleetwood bounder
I need to know if the new bim need to be installed in the bcc(battery control center) and if this is the wiring diagram that I need to figure out how to wire up this new bim or can I do without the battery isolation manger(bim)

thanks for your help
tony
You might want to look at a Sterling Battery to Battery charger. This provides an easy wiring solution to the alternator-lithium questions. They have lithium profiles.

https://offgridwholesalers.com/product/product-10/
__________________

OffGridCirc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alternator, battery, upgrade



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help understanding Chassis Battery / BIM Issue MoHoGo Entegra Owner's Forum 23 09-24-2019 12:04 PM
Wondering if BIM (or BIRD) is working correctly Jim_L Newmar Owner's Forum 8 03-26-2016 09:40 AM
Journey BIM location? PackerPower Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 12 03-14-2016 08:58 PM
BIRD vs. BIM Sidewinder4 Newmar Owner's Forum 10 02-22-2015 06:15 PM
battery isolator upgrade / alternator upgrade boomvan Vintage RV's 10 03-15-2012 02:50 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×