Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2020, 05:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
That is a simple junction box or receptcal, very common in RVs.

Does the other side have a pair of outlets on it ?
I believe one line goes to the junction box and the other line disappears to the rear of the underbed storage area, but probably feeds the outlet next to the passenger seat.

If I install the 2000w pure sine wave inverter, it does not have the AC passthru. Any idea if I should be able to disconnect (or cap off) AC input line and both output lines. I will connect the shore power cord to the inverter, as previously discussed, to provide power to the entire coach.
Allen_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2020, 08:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen_C View Post
I believe one line goes to the junction box and the other line disappears to the rear of the underbed storage area, but probably feeds the outlet next to the passenger seat.

If I install the 2000w pure sine wave inverter, it does not have the AC passthru. Any idea if I should be able to disconnect (or cap off) AC input line and both output lines. I will connect the shore power cord to the inverter, as previously discussed, to provide power to the entire coach.
Nope, you need the pass thru wires connected together. If you cap them, no power will go to the outlets.

You can just leave that Inverter in place. As long as power is coming from the shore power cord or generator, it will pass thru. That inverter will just sit there.

I think its time for you to find or hire someone who understands 120 volt electricity.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Nope, you need the pass thru wires connected together. If you cap them, no power will go to the outlets.

You can just leave that Inverter in place. As long as power is coming from the shore power cord or generator, it will pass thru. That inverter will just sit there.

I think its time for you to find or hire someone who understands 120 volt electricity.
I understand 120v electricity enough to know what I can and can't do, but I'm still learning how RVs mix 12v DC and 120v AC electrical system! I appreciate your help and I have the upgraded to the lithium batteries and 1800w Xantrex pass-thru inverter.

I've further researched how to automatically disconnect the converter when using the inverter, which will be connected to the shore power by default. The solution is adding a contactor on the AC power line just before the charge converter on the Normally Closed connections on the contactor and have the contactor powered by AC out lines from the inverter. When the inverter is on, the contactor disconnects the charge converter. I will not turn on the air conditioner but everything else should run well on the 2000w pure sine wave inverter and 400ah LiFePo4 battery. When the inverter is off, the contactor is normal closed and the charge converter is powered by the shore power (when plugged into external 120v source).
Allen_C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, upgrade