Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2018, 09:29 AM   #1

Victron Remote Display using Arduino

Just finished building a remote display for my Victron solar controllers. I stumbled across this article and built a modified version using larger displays but the concept and basic hardware are the same. The code needed a little tweaking to accommodate the displays. Here's a link to the project:

http://www.svpartyoffive.com/2018/02...ors-technical/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8453.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	590.5 KB
ID:	230134  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2018, 10:10 PM   #2
R.B

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Nice. I did a computer-based version of something along similar lines. I’m still fine-tuning it, though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rvdashboard.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	230275  
R.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.B View Post
Nice. I did a computer-based version of something along similar lines. I’m still fine-tuning it, though.
Nicely done. Care to share details?
Old 12-28-2018, 11:14 AM   #4

Mainly I built the monitor so I could see what was going on with my two solar banks. Just a simple project to keep me busy
Old 01-01-2019, 02:16 PM   #5
R.B

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
Nicely done. Care to share details?
It uses the MQTT data feed from the Victron Venus OS, which is on their Color Control GX, the Venus GX, and the Octo GX. You can see how the data flows through it in the attachment to this post.

The MQTT feed is live only -- there's no historical data provided, so to see that you have to record it somehow. I have a small computer that I use as a dedicated server for my work. It’s set up in a way that I can host multiple "virtual computers" on it, so for this need, I just added another running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. It’s definitely overkill for this use, but it’s something I already have rather than a new purchase, so it won out. Had I not had it, I probably would have purchased a Raspberry Pi for this and wired it into the DC system -- it’s not a high-demand use.

I’d heard about a special-purpose database called InfluxDB. It is a time series database: every entry into it is constructed around a timestamp and measurement, and it’s optimized for storing and accessing that kind of data. For my needs, it’s perfect, and conveniently enough, the dashboard software has excellent built-in support for it. To actually glue the two pieces together (i.e., save the values I want from the MQTT stream to the database), I wrote some custom code that handles connecting to the MQTT broker, sending keep-alives, and inserting into the database.

The software powering the dashboard is snother I’d heard of and wanted to try: Grafana. It’s a self-hosted web-based graphing/dashboard system. Using it requires a server to host it on, so I did the obvious and just loaded onto the same system where the MQTT client and database live. That's what you saw running in the screenshot in the first post.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VictronMQTTFlow.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	230724  
R.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:52 AM   #6

Thanks for the pointer to Grafana.

I have the MQTT bridge, the keepalive, the database... but not the dashboard framework, because I couldn't find anything that looked good like yours!

Tags
remote