Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2019, 09:04 AM   #1

Walmart Sues Tesla

Walmart Sues Tesla

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/20/walm...en-stores.html

For those of us that boondock, making our own electricity is part of the lifestyle.

There are many hazardous associated with making electricity, fire being one of the main concerns.

Let me point out that no one was hurt in the above story.

Safety is about mitigating the risk of such hazards. The commercial power industry has a near perfect record for safety and protecting the environment. The navy and commercial power plants did not just me walk in the door and start making electricity. First I spent time in a classroom, then getting practical experience under instruction, and the being certified to work on my own and supervise.

I have also been camping and sailing with my kids since being in the navy since the 70s. I am very disturbed by the rare tragedy that could have been prevented.

It is a matter of risk and benefit.

For me the enjoyment of camping and sailing are worth the risk. I will enjoy the memories of the first camping trip with our granddaughter until I die. For Rita that was two weeks.

This is an important point. We are all going to die. Choose carefully how you enjoy your time.

Back to the solar panels on the roof of Walmart. The benefit is zero. Greenwashing is just a marketing strategy.

I often hear from those that spend a ton of money solar panels and lithium batteries that they enjoy the quite of not running a generator.

So get an old sailboat. There are many ways to enjoy nature without making noise. If your tag line has a 45' MH with a 500 hp diesel engine you have already failed.

I enjoy the luxury of my MH with a nice bed. Being full time I enjoy watching my big color TV. It uses 30 watts. So if I make noise for 10 hours it might take 10 minutes of additional generator tun time.

The cost of solar represents environmental impact. All the thing that use electricity have an 'on/off' switch.

The cost of using it is zero.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2019, 09:25 AM   #2

"The commercial power industry has a near perfect record for safety and protecting the environment."
Well, not exactly. Read the backstory about PG&E, and the reasons behind their bankruptcy.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
"The commercial power industry has a near perfect record for safety and protecting the environment."
Well, not exactly. Read the backstory about PG&E, and the reasons behind their bankruptcy.

Not just PG&E..
Transmission line sparked wildfires is nothing new......
Nor is it PG&Es first environmental hazard......Hinkley CA
And they are NOT alone!

Tesla Solar Panels......
Personally I thingk Elon Musk is a modern day P.T. Barnum

Background......
US NAVY Nuclear/Steam Propulsion training...School & On the Job

SCE Power Plants....School and various plants. Control Operator 22 yrs.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Not just PG&E..
Transmission line sparked wildfires is nothing new......
Nor is it PG&Es first environmental hazard......Hinkley CA
And they are NOT alone!

So what you and Ray are saying is saying is you read something on the internet so it must be true. And of course judges in California are good at science.

Okay then let me start out with the forest health issue. I think the health of our semi-arid forest in North America is the our most serious environmental problem. The generally accepted cause is 100 years of well intention fire suppression. Blame smokey the bear.

Power companies know how maintain right of ways if allowed.

The solutions are known but expensive. The semi-arid west has a low population and therefore low priority for tax dollars.

Places like California, Oregon, and Washington State also have the issue of people moving into areas where the excess biomass in the semi-arid forest will result in a disaster when a fire starts.

Part of the problem is the result of consumer protection groups and environmental groups the fight long term solutions to expensive problems.

The only winners are lawyers.

If you are saying Hinkley groundwater contamination that occurred before 1966 is a case of not protecting the environment, I would say you have a weak case.

Try comparing how we make electricity today with making electricity today with solar. Walmart has Tesla solar panels that do not work. The footprint of a Walmart superstore is about the same some of the 2 unit nuke plants that I have worked at and provide power to several million people for 60 years.

I like Walmart. When traveling in the MH that is where I shop. They do a good job of meeting my needs. On the other hand they are not very good at making electricity.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:22 PM   #5

To respond is not worth the bandwidth..........
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:37 PM   #6

No horse in this race.... But, I do give Musk credit for not kicking back and living on his wealth... He's out and doing... Does he get a bit too fragmented on too many areas from time to time? Perhaps!

I also respect Space X.... and that seems to be his true passion.

New and or evolving tech, can come with teething pains... (Heck, Cummins has made Diesel engines for just a few years now - and the evolving (Or is that smog regulations serving?) and roll out of the ISX, well - is frankly a classic example of 'teething' (EXPENSIVE TEETHING) problems!).

The real proof a company, and those are behind it, is how they respond and take care of Teething problems.... I have zero respect for Cummins 'new culture' of surviving a design flaw long enough to be off warranty - and not stepping up to take care of the problem.... (That's just my opinion, as I feel Cummins has lost it's cultural heritage - and hurting their future bottom line by the short term decisions they're Executives are making now...) Tesla? Solar Roof tiles? Well, let's see how that shakes out...

Best to all of you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
. (Heck, Cummins has made Diesel engines for just a few years now -

Best to all of you,
Smitty
Grew up in Indiana and Cummins has been around for 100 years.

Musk joins a long list of folks in the emerging internet industry who think that they can show established industry how get things done.

Those who fail to learn the lesson of history repeat them. Electric cars have been around since the ICE. Oil is a good way to store energy for transportation, batteries are a poor way to store energy.

The photoelectric effect has been know for a 100 years longer than fission but can only produce small amounts electricity for a given surface area and sunlight.

Uranium is the ultimate way to store transportation energy. Great for ships but not too practical for cars.

Unless you are France with excess nuclear generating capacity.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:33 PM   #8

All forms of energy come with risks, it's all about understanding them, and mitigating as required. Solar panels can be tough when it comes to short circuits due to the fact that the current flow doesn't really go up enough in a short circuit to where normal circuit protection like circuit breakers will protect things should the current path go astray. Without knowing the particulars with these particular systems, it's hard to know if it's just poor installation and design, which would be my first guess, or other issues. If necessary, it would be easy enough to design and implement specialized circuit protection using arc fault and ground fault type designs.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
Grew up in Indiana and Cummins has been around for 100 years.

Musk joins a long list of folks in the emerging internet industry who think that they can show established industry how get things done.

Those who fail to learn the lesson of history repeat them. Electric cars have been around since the ICE. Oil is a good way to store energy for transportation, batteries are a poor way to store energy.

The photoelectric effect has been know for a 100 years longer than fission but can only produce small amounts electricity for a given surface area and sunlight.

Uranium is the ultimate way to store transportation energy. Great for ships but not too practical for cars.

Unless you are France with excess nuclear generating capacity.

I see piles (Bandini Mountains) as I drive around this country...

I have a an Older Sister, who modern science would be challenged to fully understand the objects of growth pulled former her refrigerator...

I can't/won't go into politics, but if we could harness the hot air from the region of the District of Columbia...

====

To be clear... My comment about Cummins being around for a few decades, was intended as sarcasm...

And on Musk... Fine if you do not see him as someone you respect, or feel is helping America, the world... But I'll stand by my opinion that just for Space X alone - he's a national hero from the intellectual and industrial part of our country... Heck, just the landing of the reusable rockets on a barge, was more then Nasa has done since a Rover on Mars!

And my hope is, his, or one of the other competing enterprises - will have a network of low satellite 'Data streaming coverage.' over most of America within the next few years... No wonder ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc... - are sweating bullets in Board Rooms, and rallying their lobbyist - from these ventures. (IMO, competition is good for the consumers... Lots of money going onto 5G rollout. Great! Lots of money going into low orbital satellites for data coverage needs. Great... Let the best coverage, and price, prevail! Consumers win, when completion exists...

====
No comments on other items mentioned.

I've been on these thread rodeos before. I don't feel 'bucked' - but I do know when to fold a hand under certain circumstances!

Hand folded, and out. My opinion has been shared.

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:05 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
Walmart Sues Tesla

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/20/walm...en-stores.html

For those of us that boondock, making our own electricity is part of the lifestyle.

There are many hazardous associated with making electricity, fire being one of the main concerns.

Let me point out that no one was hurt in the above story.

Safety is about mitigating the risk of such hazards. The commercial power industry has a near perfect record for safety and protecting the environment. The navy and commercial power plants did not just me walk in the door and start making electricity. First I spent time in a classroom, then getting practical experience under instruction, and the being certified to work on my own and supervise.

I have also been camping and sailing with my kids since being in the navy since the 70s. I am very disturbed by the rare tragedy that could have been prevented.

It is a matter of risk and benefit.

For me the enjoyment of camping and sailing are worth the risk. I will enjoy the memories of the first camping trip with our granddaughter until I die. For Rita that was two weeks.

This is an important point. We are all going to die. Choose carefully how you enjoy your time.

Back to the solar panels on the roof of Walmart. The benefit is zero. Greenwashing is just a marketing strategy.

I often hear from those that spend a ton of money solar panels and lithium batteries that they enjoy the quite of not running a generator.

So get an old sailboat. There are many ways to enjoy nature without making noise. If your tag line has a 45' MH with a 500 hp diesel engine you have already failed.

I enjoy the luxury of my MH with a nice bed. Being full time I enjoy watching my big color TV. It uses 30 watts. So if I make noise for 10 hours it might take 10 minutes of additional generator tun time.

The cost of solar represents environmental impact. All the thing that use electricity have an 'on/off' switch.

The cost of using it is zero.
Every time I thought about owning a boat I stand in a cold shower and tear up $100.00 bills and this cures me.

For the rest of this post an absolute waste of space and a total load of nonsense.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching_Ut View Post
All forms of energy come with risks, it's all about understanding them, and mitigating as required.
You are correct. That is why commercial power plants have a fence around them and are operated by people trained to mitigate the risk.

I have looked at the risk of being full tima fire.e in a Class A MH before taking our granddaughter camping. I would not be surprised if every MH fatality but not fire gets reported here.

I found no cases of solar causing of solar. My MH has a 40 watt panel to maintain the batteries charged in storage. Small benefit, small risk
Old 11-05-2019, 02:03 PM   #12

Saw in WSJ that Walmart dropped charges.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:13 PM   #13

"I do give Musk credit for not kicking back and living on his wealth."...

You mean "inherited wealth"...makes things a tad easier

It is important too to remember not to "eat from the tree of knowledge"...

Byw...what is wrong with the lawyers making some money...lol

Today I heard someone say back in the day (1940s) people in a Bronx community during the summer used to come by the hundreds (if not thousands) to watch local pick-up baseball teams in a small stadium to escape the heat of their homes and socialize...the guy went on to say that after the invention of air conditioners people just stayed home to keep cool, there was a loss of the community spirit and the stadium eventually closed down...

...he went on to talk about TV and if you remember when at 2am they would sing the National Anthem after which the screen went to complete snow with a tone until say 5:30am when it went back on and that back then there were only 7 or 8 TV channels...compared to now with 24/7 and 900 channels...

His point was air conditioning and TV was what ruined the sense of community and human spirit ...funny when you think about it and look around now in 2019

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
Saw in WSJ that Walmart dropped charges.

We’ll probably never learn what the settlement entails, but it sounds like Tesla finally agreed to make the systems useable and safe.