Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2018, 08:35 AM   #1

Want to install an inverter in a TT.

I want to install an inverter to run my Dish Sat'l while boondocking.

I have a TT so installation will be a challenge. I understand that it is best to get the inverter as close as possible to the batteries and then use an extension cord to the Dish receiver.

I'm looking for advise on:

Recommendation on inverter - I'm guess 300W would be OK.

How to do the wiring - a site that could walk me though it.

What I don't understand is do I have to turn the inverter on and off depending upon if I'm shore power or when I don't need to use it.

Thanks
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2018, 08:53 AM   #2

I installed 1200 watt pure sine wave inverter in my motorhome to run a refrigerator. I purchased from the inverter store on line, I used jumper cables for the wire from the battery to the inverter in flexible conduit. I purchased wire in flexible conduit for power from the inverter to the refrigerator. I installed a fuse in the battery box in the hot line from the battery to the inverter. You can purchase an on off switch along with the inverter. I routed under the motorhome to the frig..
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:33 AM   #3

Since it's for electronic, i'd recommend a Pure Sine Wave Inverter
RasMouSein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:39 AM   #4

My inverter came with an off/on switch........and yes, turn off when not using........they recommend heavy gauge wiring, but have seen where 2 lengths of 10 gauge from the pos and neg have been used......thats 2 wires to the pos and 2 for the neg....enough wire capacity to run the tv stuff
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
My inverter came with an off/on switch........and yes, turn off when not using........they recommend heavy gauge wiring, but have seen where 2 lengths of 10 gauge from the pos and neg have been used......thats 2 wires to the pos and 2 for the neg....enough wire capacity to run the tv stuff
Thanks - I've seen such complicated installations that I don't understand.

What I'm thinking at this time is the most simple I can get.
My understanding is that I run a very short cable run from the battery junction box (behind the batteries) to the inverter - stored in the storage area. Then run an extension cord from the inverter to the Dish receiver. The length of the extension cord is not the important factor. I'm guessing the extention cord I would need is about 15 feet max.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:08 PM   #6

Should work fine
Old 09-24-2018, 12:12 PM   #7

Still need to also plug tv in to it.....multi head on cord
Old 09-24-2018, 12:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Still need to also plug tv in to it.....multi head on cord
Txs - the TV is a 12V wired in already.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
Good deal!
Old 09-24-2018, 12:29 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
On my previous class C ,I used a 100 watt inverter that plugged into a 12 volt lighter socket. Ran my direct TV box just fine.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbbob15 View Post
On my previous class C ,I used a 100 watt inverter that plugged into a 12 volt lighter socket. Ran my direct TV box just fine.
That is what I have been doing for 2 years.

The problem arises when I switch on something else like the water pump. The amp draw is too great and the Dish TV resets. I have to turn off the inverter and set up the Dish. From what I'm told the inverter/cigarette plug run is too long and the wires might be too small.
So, getting the inverter as close to the batteries should stop that.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:58 AM   #12

Quote:
TV may be 12 volt but your satellite receiver isn't? My Wally is 110 volts the cable from the wally powers the Pathway antenna. My inverter has a on off switch. The way it's wired I have to turn it on even when plugged in to shore power. Really not a big deal to me.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 04:01 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I want to install an inverter to run my Dish Sat'l while boondocking.

I have a TT so installation will be a challenge. I understand that it is best to get the inverter as close as possible to the batteries and then use an extension cord to the Dish receiver.

I'm looking for advise on:

Recommendation on inverter - I'm guess 300W would be OK.

How to do the wiring - a site that could walk me though it.

What I don't understand is do I have to turn the inverter on and off depending upon if I'm shore power or when I don't need to use it.

Thanks
If you want to get up and running quickly and understand your electrical system a bit...here is an easy method.

Using an Inverter to Provide AC Power When Boondocking - RV With Tito

So, if your satellite works when plugged into shore power...then

1) Identify the breaker to your converter. You do not want to try to let your battery charge itself. Won’t work and is a waste of power. So, while boondocking turn the converter off.

2) You don’t want the fridge to switch back to electric. Make sure it’s in GAS mode and continues to run on propane.

3) Just know that ou have finite aH of 12v...and if you overdo, you can damage the battery/batteries. Keep close tabs on voltage and stop what you’re doing if you get down to 50% of the battery capacity.

If yo’ve disabled the extraneous loads...

A). Install inverter near your battery...

B). Plug your shore power cord into the inverter using a dog one adapter.

C). Enjoy your Satellite TV.

D). Hide the blow dryer, coffee maker, etc...ou can burn thru your battery quickly and have to quit watching tv.

There are a few thing you can decide to do down the road...

Install a larger bank of batteries, if weight and space are available...

Carry along a small inverter generator to recharge...just unplug from your inverter...plug into generator...and reinstate your converter so it can charge the battery.

Think about adding a battery monitor...Trimetric...or Victron...make great monitors, so you can keep tabs on use. You can also use the data to help plan future upgrades.

You can decide to run romex to your satellite system and install a dedicated outlet, if you don’t want the hassle of plugging and unplugging and turning the converter off...overriding the fridge to gas, etc... Having an inverter with a remote switch is a great idea. You can turn it off when done viewing and not have to go outside and dig around the battery compartment to shut it off.

Pure sine wave inverter verses a modulated pulse may be necessary to prevent noise in your sensitive electronics to prevent picture distortion and noise in the audio. It mimics the sine wave that normal AC power uses.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
If you want to get up and running quickly and understand your electrical system a bit...here is an easy method.

Using an Inverter to Provide AC Power When Boondocking - RV With Tito

So, if your satellite works when plugged into shore power...then

1) Identify the breaker to your converter. You do not want to try to let your battery charge itself. Won’t work and is a waste of power. So, while boondocking turn the converter off.

2) You don’t want the fridge to switch back to electric. Make sure it’s in GAS mode and continues to run on propane.

3) Just know that ou have finite aH of 12v...and if you overdo, you can damage the battery/batteries. Keep close tabs on voltage and stop what you’re doing if you get down to 50% of the battery capacity.

If yo’ve disabled the extraneous loads...

A). Install inverter near your battery...

B). Plug your shore power cord into the inverter using a dog one adapter.

C). Enjoy your Satellite TV.

D). Hide the blow dryer, coffee maker, etc...ou can burn thru your battery quickly and have to quit watching tv.

There are a few thing you can decide to do down the road...

Install a larger bank of batteries, if weight and space are available...

Carry along a small inverter generator to recharge...just unplug from your inverter...plug into generator...and reinstate your converter so it can charge the battery.

Think about adding a battery monitor...Trimetric...or Victron...make great monitors, so you can keep tabs on use. You can also use the data to help plan future upgrades.

You can decide to run romex to your satellite system and install a dedicated outlet, if you don’t want the hassle of plugging and unplugging and turning the converter off...overriding the fridge to gas, etc... Having an inverter with a remote switch is a great idea. You can turn it off when done viewing and not have to go outside and dig around the battery compartment to shut it off.

Pure sine wave inverter verses a modulated pulse may be necessary to prevent noise in your sensitive electronics to prevent picture distortion and noise in the audio. It mimics the sine wave that normal AC power uses.
Thanks - I've started a new thread with what I will be installing.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f56/my-ne...ml#post4423938

Tags
install, inverter