RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-18-2019, 10:46 PM   #1

Wiring Inverter to Generator wire to ATS

I'm installing 600 amp lithium batteries, 3000 watt inverter/charger, solar panels and solar charger. I don't want to have to rewire and install a sub panel. I saw a You Tube video where the person said if your panel is wired for a generator to an ATS (and you don't have a generator), you can connect your inverter to that wire. So I'm guessing whenever I'm not connected to shore power my batteries will automatically power everything. Is this doable? Also will shore power still charge the batteries?

If so, would I have to turn the generator switch on for the batteries to power everything? (there's no generator) I know about ghost draws and I've read where people will flip some breakers off while on battery power.

I also read where some are using a manual transfer switch where shore power, generator, and batteries are wired to it before the panel and then flip breakers off when switched to batteries to reduce ghost draws. I'm guessing this would be my secondary choice.

RVGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2019, 08:30 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGlen View Post
I'm installing 600 amp lithium batteries, 3000 watt inverter/charger, solar panels and solar charger. I don't want to have to rewire and install a sub panel. I saw a You Tube video where the person said if your panel is wired for a generator to an ATS (and you don't have a generator), you can connect your inverter to that wire. So I'm guessing whenever I'm not connected to shore power my batteries will automatically power everything. Is this doable? Also will shore power still charge the batteries?

If so, would I have to turn the generator switch on for the batteries to power everything? (there's no generator) I know about ghost draws and I've read where people will flip some breakers off while on battery power.

I also read where some are using a manual transfer switch where shore power, generator, and batteries are wired to it before the panel and then flip breakers off when switched to batteries to reduce ghost draws. I'm guessing this would be my secondary choice.

The inverter would be the generator. The ATS will default to the generator (inverter in your case). When the batteries were depleted and the inverter went to charging the ATS, in theory, should switch to shore power. There is only one catch I can think of. Does your inverter have an internal ATS? If it does it will pass the shore power through to your rv ATS and defeat what you are trying to do. If you can disable this feature in your inverter than things should work as you desire.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:58 AM   #3

You want a sub panel so the gas/electric fridge, electric water heater, and air conditioners, don't run on inverter power.

They will run down your batteries within a few hours.

If you plan on controlling that manually, you can simply cut the shore cord wire and place the inverter/charger in line. That's if you have a 30 amp RV. The inverter/charger has a Auto Transfer Switch in it.

If your wired 50 amps, you may need to reconfigure a bunch of breakers. Then cut one leg of the 2 50 amp legs and run it thru the inverter.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:12 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
As twinboat said, it is more complicated on 50 amp service. Just be sure to switch off electric water heater and manually set refrigerator to propane.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:12 AM   #5

I do have a 50 amp 5th wheel with a residential refrigerator. So refrigerator has to stay on electric. I keep my hot water heater on propane. I have soft start to install on one A/C so I would like to have the ability if necessary to run it even for a short burst.

What options do I have? I'm not sure if wires will be long enough to install a sub panel so I prefer to avoid it, if I can. I did see comments about there being a continuous loop when on batteries where the inverter will keep trying to charge the batteries. I thought there was a solution for that. I'm not sure if I can turn the transfer switch off on the inverter.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:23 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I do have a 50 amp 5th wheel with a residential refrigerator. So refrigerator has to stay on electric. I keep my hot water heater on propane. I have soft start to install on one A/C so I would like to have the ability if necessary to run it even for a short burst.

What options do I have? I'm not sure if wires will be long enough to install a sub panel so I prefer to avoid it, if I can. I did see comments about there being a continuous loop when on batteries where the inverter will keep trying to charge the batteries. I thought there was a solution for that. I'm not sure if I can turn the transfer switch off on the inverter.
That is true. The converter/charger will be powered on, the solution is to turn off the converter/charger breaker. You could install a relay to disconnect when on inverter power.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:00 PM   #7

You stated your installing a inverter/charger. If that's the case, you don't need the converter. Disconnect it and let the inverter/charger do the charging. It will NOT charge while inverting.

As far as 50 amp service, put the inverter in one line and then move the breakers, you want to be powered by inverter, to that side of the breaker panel.

Make sure the inverter can handle 50 amps thru its ATS.

Give us the make and model of the inverter, we can research its specs.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:03 PM   #8

My inverter is also the battery charger so is there a way to stop the charging part when on batteries? Victron 12v/3000 watt inverter/charger.

You mentioned possible a relay switch though I'm thinking that won't work on my inverter/charger unit. Is this right?

It would be nice if there's some way to program the inverter/charger not to charge whenever it's not on shore power.

I have portable generators to plug my shore power cord with an adapter so the inverter just thinks I have 30 amp shore power. (reminder, my RV is 50 amp)

I know enough to be dangerous but not enough to know what the hell I'm doing.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:06 PM   #9

I have the Victron Multiplus Inverter/Charger 3000W 12V.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #10

I'm reading it to say the transfer switch is rated for 50 amps.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #11

...As far as 50 amp service, put the inverter in one line and then move the breakers, you want to be powered by inverter, to that side of the breaker panel.

Make sure the inverter can handle 50 amps thru its ATS.

Give us the make and model of the inverter, we can research its specs.
So by doing this do you think this would be the best method to go with? Or wire in a sub panel?
Old 11-19-2019, 02:59 PM   #12

Quote:
My inverter is also the battery charger so is there a way to stop the charging part when on batteries? Victron 12v/3000 watt inverter/charger.

You mentioned possible a relay switch though I'm thinking that won't work on my inverter/charger unit. Is this right?

It would be nice if there's some way to program the inverter/charger not to charge whenever it's not on shore power.

I have portable generators to plug my shore power cord with an adapter so the inverter just thinks I have 30 amp shore power. (reminder, my RV is 50 amp)

I know enough to be dangerous but not enough to know what the hell I'm doing.

I have done this many times for my customers and myself. It's a little tricky with 50 amp service as the Victron MultiPlus only handles one leg of a 50 amp shore or generator supply. An RV 50 amp is actually two 120V out-of-phase legs. You must have a method of isolating the neutrals or you will have a serious shock hazard and just plain ruining the MultiPlus, which will not be covered under warranty.
OffGridCirc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:43 PM   #13

The inverter will NOT charge the batteries, if running on batteries. Nothing to switch, its automatic. It will only charge when shore power is going to it.

Go to the Victron website and look for installation diagrams.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:53 PM   #14

AM Solar Smart Phase Selector - This sounds like it will take care of it. Anyone try it? Or know anything about it?

I may have to start a new thread to find out about it.

Tags
generator, inverter, wiring