Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > RV Industry Press
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Airstream Unveils Sterling Concept Trailer

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

AIRSTREAM UNVEILS STERLING CONCEPT TRAILER

Newest Design Concept by Christopher Deam Shown at 49th Annual National RV Trade Show
Jackson Center, Ohio (December 1, 2011) – Airstream, the most recognized RV manufacturer in North America, unveiled its newest design concept to the world at the 49th annual National RV Trade Show in Louisville, Ky. The Airstream Sterling Concept Trailer, designed by architect Christopher Deam, is latest statement from the brand that continues to push the limits of forward-looking design. The collaboration between Airstream and Deam continues the partnership that started more than a decade ago with the 2001 Airstream International CCD.

The most striking design feature of the Sterling Concept trailer is the use of anodized aluminum surfaces for the interior. Deam wanted to bring the unmistakable appearance of the Airstream’s exterior to the interior of the unit and use a premium, lustrous material that provided plenty of light and reflectivity. The aircraft-like aesthetic and modern monocoque design required high precision, resulting in a product that is both aggressively modern and timeless.

The Sterling Concept trailer features bright yellow woven vinyl flooring that has a soft, luxurious feel and is perfectly complemented by the white ultra-leather upholstery and classic midcentury Merimekko fabric used throughout the unit. All countertops and rooflockers are edged with pure aluminum extrusions which harmonize with the aluminum interior skin and premium fixtures in the galley and lavatory.

“Airstream is the ultimate object of design,” said Deam. “The Sterling Concept trailer project was a true collaboration with Airstream and forced us both to push the limits of what is possible. For a designer it is always great to work with a brand where you can exercise furniture and product design together with manufacturing – it is the ultimate!”

The Sterling Concept captures what is essential about Airstream travel trailers and imparts to it a modern flair, demonstrating Airstream’s continuing commitment to be a thought leader for the RV industry. “This concept trailer represents a fresh take on Airstream, and we think it will appeal to people who are design-savvy and appreciate quality construction and unique, modern design,” said Airstream President and CEO Bob Wheeler.

The Airstream Sterling Concept Trailer debuted at the National RV Trade Show in Louisville, Kentucky November 29, 2011.

About Airstream
Airstream, maker of the iconic “silver bullet” travel trailer, is the oldest recreational vehicle manufacturer in North America. Following founder Wally Byam’s credo, “Let’s not make changes, let’s only make improvements” Airstream has remained a timeless classic. A division of Thor Industries, Airstream is based Jackson Center, Ohio where a team of experts remain dedicated to preserving the brand’s legendary reputation for quality and innovation. For more information, please visit www.airstream.com, call 877-596-6111 or contact Airstream, Inc., 419 West Pike Street, P.O. Box 629, Jackson Center, Ohio 45334.

###

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Unavailable at the time of the original press release were the accompaning photos which I am pleased to put up today.

Airstream’s Sterling Concept – designed by Chris Deam

Old 12-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
edj

Well, maybe some like that style. But, I think it is UGLY... I think it was Carriage that came out with something like that a few years ago. Ultra modern look. It did not last long as they sold very few of them.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by edj View Post
Well, maybe some like that style. But, I think it is UGLY... I think it was Carriage that came out with something like that a few years ago. Ultra modern look. It did not last long as they sold very few of them.
If you are an Airstreamer this is some pretty neat stuff. As for me, I'm more of a conventional square box type of guy. Winnebago Industries released a vehicle called a Latitude and a Destination that featured Euro style cabinets and decor. Although it was boxy it wasn't something that I ever latched on to.

Although it wasn't my preference. beauty is all in the eye of the beholder.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
It looks cold inside, not warm and inviting. Commercial, Sterile, Metalic and not cozy home look.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
It looks cold inside, not warm and inviting. Commercial, Sterile, Metallic and not cozy home look.
I would not disagree with you, it does look antiseptic. If you like aircraft interiors, this would not be so strange. This style however is what an Airstreamer will seek out like a Sidewinder looking for a hot tail pipe.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
...This style however is what an Airstreamer will seek out like a Sidewinder looking for a hot tail pipe.
What DriVer said!!!

Looks pretty sharp to me: all function, all business, no frou frou, no fluff. Definitely NOT my parents/grandparents RV!
Old 12-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #8

I like this one better http://http://www.unfinishedman.com/orvis-restored-1954-airstream-flying-cloud-travel-trailer/ but either way it's refreshing to see other ideas. There is a lot of sameness in current design even among competitors. I don't see how the manufacturers are going to attract the younger generations by offering the pre retirement home designs currently in vogue. There . . . I said it, so fire away!
Old 12-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by radams View Post
... There is a lot of sameness in current design even among competitors. I don't see how the manufacturers are going to attract the younger generations by offering the pre retirement home designs currently in vogue. There . . . I said it, so fire away!
What radams said!!!!

BTW Nice Orvis restoration.... Thanks for the link...
Old 12-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #10

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by edj View Post
You're probably referring to the Carriage Domani. It had a great exterior and interior appearance. But what killed our interest in it was when the slides came in there was no access to bath or bedroom. Not an issue for many but it was for us.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:44 PM   #11

The 70s just called and said they want their flooring back.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot View Post
The 70s just called and said they want their flooring back.
Harvest gold rocks!!!
Old 12-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #13
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggholmes View Post
Harvest gold rocks!!!
Back in the day, I had a refrigerator, washer & dryer like that!
Old 12-05-2011, 11:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggholmes View Post
Harvest gold rocks!!!
Only when used in shag carpet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Back in the day, I had a refrigerator, washer & dryer like that!
It's probably a good thing iRV2 doesn't sync with Facebook like Spotify does. I can only imagine the number of comments it might generate.

Tags
airstream