Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > RV Industry Press
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #15

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Maybe not. This closure is for TOWABLES only. Apparently, Monaco & Holiday Rambler motorhomes are going to continue at the Decatur, IN plant where all the other ASV brands are produced.
I wouldn't buy one of there products. If they treat the people who build there products like that how are they going to treat the people who purchase them.
No way not me.
soundman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman7 View Post
I wouldn't buy one of there products. If they treat the people who build there products like that how are they going to treat the people who purchase them. No way not me.
A business decision was made to get out of the towables business. All the employees were given 60 days pay as a severance package at a minimum. This is fairly common in manufacturing businesses.

Fleetwood owners give ASV high marks for customer service.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
A business decision was made to get out of the towables business. All the employees were given 60 days pay as a severance package at a minimum. This is fairly common in manufacturing businesses.

Fleetwood owners give ASV high marks for customer service.
I was mad when I first saw the article ( as usual didn't give all of the details), but if they actually gave 60 days and some extended insurance benefits, then that's not that bad, a week of severance per year of service is a norm so they assumed 8 years. Kinda bothers me that they talked about their expanding Class A business without mentioning that these folks could re-articulate into that side. I spent the first few years of my career in a big MFG shop in Missouri, and sometimes layoffs are a way of getting rid of bad wood!!
Old 02-14-2014, 03:59 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
A " 60 days pay as a severance package" and what ever else they offered does not for one moment excuse the company's communication manners with their employee's! For me.......
I will never spend a dime with this company now. There would of been a lot more suttle and comforting way to do this, other company's do, have meetings, talk, training offers for new work, job placement personal to work with the affected, and on and on......to each their own.... no for me!
I was taught to treat people like I would like to be treated.......this company and the people that run it was not brought up like that, it is obvious.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
A " 60 days pay as a severance package" and what ever else they offered does not for one moment excuse the company's communication manners with their employee's! For me.......
I will never spend a dime with this company now. There would of been a lot more suttle and comforting way to do this, other company's do, have meetings, talk, training offers for new work, job placement personal to work with the affected, and on and on......to each their own.... no for me!
I was taught to treat people like I would like to be treated.......this company and the people that run it was not brought up like that, it is obvious.
Agreed, I understand that layoffs are commonplace in Elkhart country, but it's SO easy to do it in a gentler fashion and keep more of the respect of the remaining workforce who are responsible for building the RV's that will (or will not) carry the company forward.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
Agreed, I understand that layoffs are commonplace in Elkhart country, but it's SO easy to do it in a gentler fashion and keep more of the respect of the remaining workforce who are responsible for building the RV's that will (or will not) carry the company forward.
Here is an expanded view of the situation from a source in the area:

http://rvdailyreport.com/opinion/did...lant-closings/
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
All well and good, still doesn't change the fact that they turned employees away at the gate and could have really looked good if they called them in sat them down and explained, but the lawyers and HR experts would probably have none of that, too much
"liability" involved. Oh well, the Chinese will figure it out and I'm sure our first Hancook 45' will be real nice, won't be that hard for them, they already build my ISX 600.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:24 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes I now it is towables but with the way it has been going with HR I'll pass. Been long time member but to shaky now for me.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:26 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Companies "down size" all the time. This is not the first to do it this way and they will not be the last.
I know of one that closed completely with several thousand employees and all they got was a recorded phone call to let them all know on a Sunday.
I know of one that "down sized" all the employees without a bachelor's or master's and then ended up bringing back some of those that they got rid of back on a temp basis just to teach the ones with the degrees how to do the job.
Again they are not the first company to let employees go like that and they will not be the last.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
Companies "down size" all the time. This is not the first to do it this way and they will not be the last.
I know of one that closed completely with several thousand employees and all they got was a recorded phone call to let them all know on a Sunday.
I know of one that "down sized" all the employees without a bachelor's or master's and then ended up bringing back some of those that they got rid of back on a temp basis just to teach the ones with the degrees how to do the job.
Again they are not the first company to let employees go like that and they will not be the last.
So Thom, the fashion in how this company and others layed off/fired their employee's is OK with you?
Old 02-16-2014, 02:03 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Sucks, yes, but the sad truth is it would only take a couple of those 100, determined to cause mayhem, to do 10s of thousands of dollars in damage and odds are there are at least a couple people like that in any sample of 100 people.

I suspect the 60 days severance was to comply with the 60 day notice law and if the motorhome side of the equation is growing as fast as is claimed I'd guess many could end up back in one plant or another after their forced "vacation" - we can hope.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:08 PM   #26
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Sucks, yes, but the sad truth is it would only take a couple of those 100, determined to cause mayhem, to do 10s of thousands of dollars in damage and odds are there are at least a couple people like that I any sample of 100 people. I suspect the 60 days severance was to comply with the 60 day notice law and if the motorhome side of the equation is growing as fast as is claimed I'd guess many could end up back in one plant or another after their forced "vacation" - we can hope.
Excellent point , Jay. Companies are sometimes damned if they do and damned if they don't. :(.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Sucks, yes, but the sad truth is it would only take a couple of those 100, determined to cause mayhem, to do 10s of thousands of dollars in damage and odds are there are at least a couple people like that in any sample of 100 people.

I suspect the 60 days severance was to comply with the 60 day notice law and if the motorhome side of the equation is growing as fast as is claimed I'd guess many could end up back in one plant or another after their forced "vacation" - we can hope.
As Cliff said above, good point........I still say, a meeting with all of them, instead of going to their work stations, meet in the cafeteria, or somewhere, even in the parking lot w/tents set up, something other that communicating with their employee's through a fence they were once on the inside looking out, now looking in, "locked" out,staffed w/security gaurds........maybe these 116 employee's were a hostile bunch and could not be trusted anymore..... that the company had to keep a fence between them?
Old 02-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #28
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
2 months off with pay to go look for another job is far better than having to work those 2 months for the same pay, then having to look for a job while receiving no pay.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coburg