Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > RV Industry Press
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
ASV Shutters Towables Divisions in Elkhart & Coburg - Over One Hundred Loose Jobs

Immediate Release
February 10, 2014
RV Daily Report
Greg Gerber Editor

ELKHART, IN — The Monaco towable division, which includes Holiday Rambler and Trail-Lite, has been shut down by parent company Allied Specialty Vehicles, RV Daily Report has learned.

Employees at the Elkhart plant were greeted by security guards who would not allow them in the plant or office. A representative from the human resources department was on hand to pass out letters alerting employees that the company was exiting the towable market and offering information on how terminated employees could collect unemployment benefits.

“The plant workers showed up at 6 a.m., and the office workers arrived by 8 a.m.,” one source told RV Daily Report. “No reason was given. But, I have thought for a while that the company would likely shut down the operation.”

He noted that the troubled company lost 14 sales representatives in two years, and the Indiana plant could not get beyond producing only six towable units a day.

Continued ....

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2014, 04:42 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I hate to see that happen. I'm sorry for all that lost their jobs. One must wonder though, with other RV manufacturers doing well, why did this one fail? And will the employees ever get their personal belongings back from inside the plant?

Old 02-10-2014, 05:15 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not good to hear at all but should one be surprised at hearing it?
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:28 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Yet another orphan brand...
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #5

I think that meeting the employees at the gate and sending them home with no notice is a real chicken move on the part of ASV. Just think of the signal sent to the employees that are still on the job!! " Hey you're a valued employee, until the day that we meet you at the gate" I know that it's not good business to have them keep building the stuff after they know their time is short, but at least have the decency ( and guts) to bring them in to a room, explain why this is happening, allow them to get their personal belongings, and offer them some form of outplacement services. In other words, treat them like fellow humans!! it doesn't really cost that much!! This just strengthens my belief that the best move is to buy from one of the family owned and run RV mfg's. Everyone close to Newmar knows that the Miller family sold farms, equipment, and family coaches to keep as many folks on as they could during the downturn, and I'll bet the Bontraggers and Tiffins did similar things. Has anyone ever heard of a "corporate " mgmt person selling personal stuff for the good of the corporation??

I'm just glad that I don't have a new Heritage on order that's being built by a friend/family member of one of the folks that got "dumped" at the front gate this morning!!
Old 02-10-2014, 06:58 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Exclamation Great show of human relation's.....

The company has been bought and sold, bankrupt, new buyers have tried to keep their heads above the water, but could not, a VERY BALL-LESS way to approach valued employee's to let them know their jobs were done and gone, SHAME ON THE VP's! for allowing this SPINE-LESS approach to notify a valued/not so valued employee that they were done.........Well , at least.......through a chain-linked fence w/barbed wire lining the top........they salary/VIP's stuck their lips through the fence to communicate to the former employee's on how to sign up for unemployed benefits that they and tax payers pay into...............Our stock market does not reflect the tough times that most are going through since the big slide in 08'...........
THIS COMPANY(management) HAD OUGHT TO BE ASHAMED OF THEM SELF'S ! To say the least, The old song by Blue Öyster Cult ....."Don't fear the Reaper" .......Most do not have to..........these people SHOULD! To all involved.....your day will come, and I am sure that you will not have the answer's to the question's......Good luck
Old 02-11-2014, 09:32 PM   #7

I posted my thoughts on this on the "RV Industry Press" forum on here yesterday. As previous multiple Monaco owners, we can't believe how bad ASV treated those employees. If the towables line needed to be shut down, then that's too bad, but at least show a little class as you deal with employees. We probably still have an RV purchase or two in our future, ASV will not be seeing our dollars!!
Old 02-11-2014, 10:00 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Meeting them at the gate is not so unusual. Do I like to hear about it? No but it is still not unusual in the business world. Not letting them in is that unusual? Nope. There are lots of cases of employees that get the news that they are not working anymore that turn and do a whole heck of a lot of damage. They are probably making sure that none do that. Again, do I like that its what companies do? No but that's what happens more and more often anymore.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:28 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Sorry to see another towable go by the wayside & know more workers are now jobless. I too am appalled, but not surprised at how ASV handled the situation.

At least when Fleetwood Enterprises scuttled their towables line in 09, they gave employees a month's+ notice.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:29 AM   #10
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
At least when Fleetwood Enterprises scuttled their towables line in 09, they gave employees a month's+ notice.
Lori, Would you be surprised to know that ASV is the parent company of Fleetwood RV.

It is remarkable ASV has not resurrected Fleetwood towables when companies like Winnebago for instance is buying towables companies (Sunnybrook)and manufacturing up to $90K fifth wheel products under their own brand name.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
I posted my thoughts on this on the "RV Industry Press" forum on here yesterday. As previous multiple Monaco owners, we can't believe how bad ASV treated those employees. If the towables line needed to be shut down, then that's too bad, but at least show a little class as you deal with employees. We probably still have an RV purchase or two in our future, ASV will not be seeing our dollars!!
Had a similar thing happen to me back in December 1974 when I worked for Texas Instruments Scientific Calculator Division in Fort Walton Beach Florida. Things were bad in Texas and the company decided to move everything back to Texas. We came in one morning and to our surprise were told to get in the line under the first letter of our last name. Gave us two weeks pay and told us to hit the road. That was before the 60 day rule. We were all shocked because we had been working overtime to keep up with the demand for calculators.

Bob
2006 Honda in standby
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:02 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Lori, Would you be surprised to know that ASV is the parent company of Fleetwood RV.
No. I already knew that. At the time of the FW layoffs though, FW was still the parent. AIP didn't come into play intil June 09 & ASV wasn't formed until 2010.

Unfortunately, the larger the corporation, the less they seem to value the employees. Hence ASV's mis-step with this closure.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well I guess a Holiday Rambler Motorhome is out. I'll go Tiffin or Newmar now. Was leaning Newmar anyway.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by disc1 View Post
Well I guess a Holiday Rambler Motorhome is out. I'll go Tiffin or Newmar now. Was leaning Newmar anyway.
Maybe not. This closure is for TOWABLES only. Apparently, Monaco & Holiday Rambler motorhomes are going to continue at the Decatur, IN plant where all the other ASV brands are produced.

Tags
coburg