Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > RV Industry Press
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:20 AM   #1
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Chevy-Workhorse Class C significantly upgraded for 2008

Market share climbs in 2007

UNION CITY, IN - Dec. 12, 2007 "” Significant changes in the 2008 Chevy-Workhorse Class C motor home chassis are expected to further boost the growing market share the platform experienced in 2007.

According to vehicle registration data compiled by Statistical Surveys, Inc., of Grand Rapids, Mich., the Workhorse-Chevy platform averaged 20 percent market share January through September 2007, compared to 15 percent market share for the same period in 2006.

Principally powered by the GM Vortec™ 6.0L gas engine, the 2008 model will see a horsepower boost from 300 to 323 at 4,600 rpm, and a torque boost from 360 lb.-ft. to 373 lb.-ft. at 4,400 rpm.

In addition, the interior cab has a new dash and has been redesigned with an SUV feel. In fact, it is the same interior as found with GM's new SUVs, while retaining the roominess that has made it a winner in improving travel comfort for RVers. That includes large footwells to stretch legs in as well as forward-mounted doghouse that creates more room to move. Access from the exterior is also made easy by wide step pads.

Performance and safety enhancements for 2008 include:

"¢ New steering wheel with new cruise control activation for easier driving.

"¢New radio offerings with MP3 capabilities, automatic headlamps, new HVAC control knobs and childproof window switches for added convenience and safety.

"¢ Updated seating materials improve looks and comfort.

In addition, the 2008 model also features a new Driver Information Center that keeps drivers updated on vital engine and vehicle functions.

The co-branded cutaway chassis was launched in November 2004 at the National RV Trade Show as a 14,050 lb. GVWR vehicle. At the November 2005 show the 9,600 lb. and 12,300 lb. GVWR models were also branded Chevy-Workhorse vehicles.

"This platform continues to develop a presence in the marketplace,"¯ said Bill Walmsley, Workhorse director of marketing. "It posted some very consistent numbers during the past year, and it's showing that it can be very competitive. We're very pleased with how well it's done, especially during the period when Class C sales were down."¯

The chassis features an independent coil spring front suspension with heavy-duty stabilizer bar and a rear multi-leaf spring suspension. It has four-wheel disc brakes with ABS.

The cutaway platforms have gross combined weight ratings (for motor home with vehicle/trailer in tow) of 16,000 lbs. for the 9,600 and 12,300 lb. GVWR chassis, and 17,600 lbs. for the 14,050 lb. GVWR chassis. "You can easily bring a good-sized vehicle along with you,"¯ said Walmsley.

The powertrains are all covered by General Motors' new, limited 5-year/100,000 mile warranty (whichever comes first) for 2008 cars and light trucks. Free 24/7 emergency roadside assistance is also provided for the same warranty period. Warranty service is provided through Chevrolet dealerships. RVers can call a 24-hour service line at 1-877-4CHEVRV or 1-877-424-3878 to find the nearest service center.

Workhorse Custom Chassis

Workhorse Custom Chassis is ISO 9001 certified and a leader in the manufacture of chassis for motor homes, walk-in trucks and buses. It is a wholly owned subsidiary of International Truck and Engine Corporation. For additional information call 877-294-6773 or visit Workhorse.com.

International Truck and Engine Corporation is the operating company of Navistar International Corporation (Other OTC: NAVZ). In addition to Workhorse brand chassis, the company produces International® brand commercial trucks, MaxxForce™ diesel engines and IC Corporation school buses and commercial buses, and is a private label designer and manufacturer of diesel engines for the pickup truck, van and SUV markets. A wholly owned subsidiary offers financing services. Additional information is available at: Navistar.com.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2007, 07:20 AM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Chevy-Workhorse Class C significantly upgraded for 2008

Market share climbs in 2007

UNION CITY, IN - Dec. 12, 2007 "” Significant changes in the 2008 Chevy-Workhorse Class C motor home chassis are expected to further boost the growing market share the platform experienced in 2007.

According to vehicle registration data compiled by Statistical Surveys, Inc., of Grand Rapids, Mich., the Workhorse-Chevy platform averaged 20 percent market share January through September 2007, compared to 15 percent market share for the same period in 2006.

Principally powered by the GM Vortec™ 6.0L gas engine, the 2008 model will see a horsepower boost from 300 to 323 at 4,600 rpm, and a torque boost from 360 lb.-ft. to 373 lb.-ft. at 4,400 rpm.

In addition, the interior cab has a new dash and has been redesigned with an SUV feel. In fact, it is the same interior as found with GM's new SUVs, while retaining the roominess that has made it a winner in improving travel comfort for RVers. That includes large footwells to stretch legs in as well as forward-mounted doghouse that creates more room to move. Access from the exterior is also made easy by wide step pads.

Performance and safety enhancements for 2008 include:

"¢ New steering wheel with new cruise control activation for easier driving.

"¢New radio offerings with MP3 capabilities, automatic headlamps, new HVAC control knobs and childproof window switches for added convenience and safety.

"¢ Updated seating materials improve looks and comfort.

In addition, the 2008 model also features a new Driver Information Center that keeps drivers updated on vital engine and vehicle functions.

The co-branded cutaway chassis was launched in November 2004 at the National RV Trade Show as a 14,050 lb. GVWR vehicle. At the November 2005 show the 9,600 lb. and 12,300 lb. GVWR models were also branded Chevy-Workhorse vehicles.

"This platform continues to develop a presence in the marketplace,"¯ said Bill Walmsley, Workhorse director of marketing. "It posted some very consistent numbers during the past year, and it's showing that it can be very competitive. We're very pleased with how well it's done, especially during the period when Class C sales were down."¯

The chassis features an independent coil spring front suspension with heavy-duty stabilizer bar and a rear multi-leaf spring suspension. It has four-wheel disc brakes with ABS.

The cutaway platforms have gross combined weight ratings (for motor home with vehicle/trailer in tow) of 16,000 lbs. for the 9,600 and 12,300 lb. GVWR chassis, and 17,600 lbs. for the 14,050 lb. GVWR chassis. "You can easily bring a good-sized vehicle along with you,"¯ said Walmsley.

The powertrains are all covered by General Motors' new, limited 5-year/100,000 mile warranty (whichever comes first) for 2008 cars and light trucks. Free 24/7 emergency roadside assistance is also provided for the same warranty period. Warranty service is provided through Chevrolet dealerships. RVers can call a 24-hour service line at 1-877-4CHEVRV or 1-877-424-3878 to find the nearest service center.

Workhorse Custom Chassis

Workhorse Custom Chassis is ISO 9001 certified and a leader in the manufacture of chassis for motor homes, walk-in trucks and buses. It is a wholly owned subsidiary of International Truck and Engine Corporation. For additional information call 877-294-6773 or visit Workhorse.com.

International Truck and Engine Corporation is the operating company of Navistar International Corporation (Other OTC: NAVZ). In addition to Workhorse brand chassis, the company produces International® brand commercial trucks, MaxxForce™ diesel engines and IC Corporation school buses and commercial buses, and is a private label designer and manufacturer of diesel engines for the pickup truck, van and SUV markets. A wholly owned subsidiary offers financing services. Additional information is available at: Navistar.com.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:42 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Driver...Thanks for sharing the info!
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 07:57 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am still waiting to see the press release from Ford from about two months ago, about their increased capacities in their Class A motorhomes. It has been all over other web sites. Why not here?
Lets try to keep this an open forum, not a slanted one?
I know that Workhorse is a sponsor and helps provide for this forum for us, but the forum does have a section on Ford MH's.
JM2CW
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:23 PM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FC Ontario:
I am still waiting to see the press release from Ford from about two months ago, about their increased capacities in their Class A motorhomes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>JM2CW, If you could please arrange with Ford to furnish us with a press release then we would be pleased to put it up.

We are not in the habit of hi-jacking releases and putting them up without them being sent directly to us, used in support of a current supplier/advertiser/sponsor or used by written permission.

There are unpleasant things that happen to folks when they infringe on copyright laws.

To our credit, we did put up the Ford 22K GVW release on 22.5" tires if you took the time to investigate the releases contained in this forum. That release was obtained from RV Business and used by permission from Sherm Goldenberg himself.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:17 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Press release has been posted in the correct area by Warpath so this post is not important now and most of the elements have been deleted by me. Thank you

JM2CW

JM2CW
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:46 PM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FC Ontario:
You don't have to quote the release if you do not want to, but you could provide the link for everyone to read about this important announcement. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I think you did a good job already posting the link even though we were talking about the GM/WCC Class C. Not bad for a day's work.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:31 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
I am still waiting to see the press release from Ford from about two months ago, about their increased capacities in their Class A motorhomes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>JM2CW, If you could please arrange with Ford to furnish us with a press release then we would be pleased to put it up.

We are not in the habit of hi-jacking releases and putting them up without them being sent directly to us, used in support of a current supplier/advertiser/sponsor or used by written permission.

There are unpleasant things that happen to folks when they infringe on copyright laws.

To our credit, we did put up the Ford 22K GVW release on 22.5" tires if you took the time to investigate the releases contained in this forum. That release was obtained from RV Business and used by permission from Sherm Goldenberg himself. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very interesting. DriVer, did you ask WCC to provide you with their press releases? I'll bet you did - especially since they are a sponsor. WHY DON'T YOU ASK FORD?

The reason has been obvious to me for the last few years. You are not independent and even handed and as a GM/Workhorse evangelist you never will be.

Don't forget, this accusation is coming from someone who has a Kodiak, Tahoe and Equinox - so no one should claim I'm a Ford evangelist because the facts clearly prove that is not true. What I do believe in, however, is fairness.

If I were evaluating anything that involved a Ford/GM/WCC comparison, I have to be honest and say that you are the LAST person I'd ever look to as an unbiased source of information.

What amazes me is that you either fail to recognize this flaw (which I've heard mentioned several times when chatting with groups of RV owners) or have decided to ignore it. Seems to me that it is about time for a change in responsibilities with respect to the posting of RV Industry News if we (meaning the participants on iRV2 - not just you) want to have it all inclusive.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:45 PM   #9

I don't post very often, preferring to read and try to learn. I check the NEWS forum pretty often and see lots of stuff about different products, not just workhorse PR. So I'm a little surprised to see such a vitriolic post making accusasations and asking for change in responsibilities just because the administrator posted a PR from a sponsor of this FREE forum. Somehow the thread got "highjacked" and turned into a personal attack, which is the reason I stopped going to that "other" forum.

Maybe the shadow should consider asking WHY does iRV2 even allow a Ford (or Spartan, Freightliner or others) forum since those companies apparently don't sponsor anything on here.

FWIW, the iRV2 Ford forum has a BOLD thread at the very top which contains the PR that "FC ONTARIO" was asking for. Funny thing is that the article was "stolen" from RV BUsiness and posted there by the workhorse ambassador! If I were looking for info about Ford products, I'd look in the Ford forum-just like I do in the Workhorse forum for workhorse stuff. Why should you EXPECT to find PR here from non-Sponsors???
Old 12-27-2007, 05:24 PM   #10

Another way to look at it my friend is to change the name to GM/WCC news rather than RV Industry News. This is not a new issue either.

Look at the purpose of this forum:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Featuring RV Industry Press Releases </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gee, I must be slow, but I thought Ford was part of the RV Industry? One would expect its press releases to appear on a timely basis - just like those of WCC/GM (note how they seem to pop up 1 to 3 days after release). It might simply be a matter of supplying Ford with an address to send them to.

There is nothing wrong with DriVer being absolutely overwhelmed by the wonderful features of WCC and GM (again note that I have 3 GM products and several more prior to current 3 - and today I started discussions with the dealer to perhaps swamp DW's 06 Equinox for the new 08 Equinox with the 3.6L engine and 6 speed transmission which can be towed FLAT). But, when you are what is clearly an evangelist for their products it is very difficult (if not impossible) to claim you are even handed and keep a straight face.

We've been through this before, which is why I vote with my eyes and spend very little time on these so called information threads at iRV2. By the way, I wouldn't restrict his evangelism to GM and WCC, it applies to anything he owns in the RV area. If he owns it, clearly it must be the best. A past example is a Terry Taurus LX 5er towed by a Ford PowerStroke diesel that was the be all and end all - while he had it. Current examples, WCC, GM, SMI and Winnie.

The MISSION of iRV2:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Our Mission: "Efficiently support the thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experiences among RV enthusiasts". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is a fair and reasonable mission and I see NOTHING about promoting just the sponsors as you seem to suggeset. If the stated Mission is incorrect, then it should be changed.

Consider RV.net. It is not only sponsored but rather owned by a major entity in the RV biz and you do not see this kind of evangelism there by shills for the sponsors.

BTW, has DriVer every participated in a WCC display at a major RV show?

He should have a co-moderator for this forum who is prepared to be as proactive with Ford as DriVer always appears to be with his favorites.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:55 PM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

We here at iRV2 will provide our members with any press releases we can get our hands on.
I personally subsrcibe to several manufacturer sites as a media representative in order to be included on their release lists.
We have made many such efforts to get anyone from Ford to allow us the same access, to no avail.

Members of iRV2 are more than welcome to post any RV related news they acquire from non-copyrighted sources, as we welcome the chance to share such news with our members.

Mike Pelchat and his relationship with both WCC and iRV2 have been discussed over and over in many different forum topics and I can assure you Mr. Pelchat's not the issue here.
Mike has been a member of iRV2 from the beginning and has been instrumental in the development of the ENTIRE site you see today and certainly not just the WCC side.

Please be reminded that while differences of opinion are certainly expected within the forums, there are explicit rules against "personal attacks" against members and/or our moderator and admin staff...
In keeping with that policy, I would ask you to refrain from making such statements in the forums.

Respectfully,

Bob Gregory
Co-Owner, iRV2.com
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:03 PM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Consider RV.net. It is not only sponsored but rather owned by a major entity in the RV biz and you do not see this kind of evangelism there by shills for the sponsors. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comparing rv.net to iRV2 is something I find hilarious....You're really kidding....right?

We market iRV2 for every RV'er.....we have forums for men and women and even manufacturer and chassis forums for many of the different manufacturers. We're always trying to add content of interest to our members, such as the recent adding of the Tiffin, Foretravel and Country Coach Owner's forums.
We do not allow bashing and/or name calling, in an attempt to keep this forum free of the content that has dragged so many of the other forums down the tubes.

I am personally proud of the efforts of not only our moderator staff, but our very own members in their efforts to keep this the very best source out there for the RV'er.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:16 PM   #13
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The press releases that are sent to us are the press releases that are put up. Other supporting PRs that are related to our sponsors and members are also presented as an informational item.

If Ford & Detroit Chassis believe that we are an important enough press resource, I'm sure they will make it their business to furnish us with their releases. Should this opportunity present itself, I would feel comfortable in inviting them to join us in sponsoring our web pages. This effort would not be inconsistent with good business practice since RV-Business features many advertising pieces on their web pages.

To their credit RV-Business is fed every RV PR in the world however it takes an enormous editorial infrastructure, staff and the financial means to do the job they accomplish.

We are limited in scope to providing our membership with information that is primarily fed to us by our friends and sponsors. Our private owners, advertisers and sponsors make it possible for everyone to use these resources on a 24/7 basis and we have kept these pages flowing while improving our infrastructure's over all performance. Without this support our efforts here would be challenging.

Unfortunately we do not have the resources that RV.NET can draw upon and consequently they demonstrate total control over their domain because of their financial independence.

iRV2 has provided an open door to everyone since day one and we have diversified the forum structure to be all inclusive. A personal attack on me because iRV2.com is not the recipient of a press release from a non-supporting manufacturer is at best regrettable.