Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > RV Industry Press
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:57 PM   #43

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
On the other hand, if Honda or Toyota ever built a MH, I wonder what the quality would be like..... See HERE.

Rusty
But I consider the source. Consumer Reports has never found a Toyota or a Honda they didn't like, and find it very difficult to say anything good about the Big Three.

IMHO they have an agenda I do not share. I bleed Blue Oval blue.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2010, 10:59 PM   #44

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodann View Post
My thoughts exactly! Just try to purchase a product (other than foods or drugs) at Wally World that was made in the USA. Almost an impossibility.
Jodann
And Sam Walton twirls in his grave. Remember when Wal-Mart (not Walmart *) crowed about buying American and supporting the American worker?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-19-2010, 09:31 AM   #45

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray32539 View Post
And Sam Walton twirls in his grave. Remember when Wal-Mart (not Walmart *) crowed about buying American and supporting the American worker?
It's kind of like "which came firsts, the chicken or the egg". Did Walmart have China make all of that junk for them or did China take over most of the market by having our government give away all of the American jobs. If there are not American factories with American workers making American products, where do the retailers go?
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #46

Sooooooooooooooooooo

how much lead are they puttin in those

LRVzzzzzzzzz

Old 12-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #47
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Chinese

in a few years we'll fly Chinese made airplanes. The thought drives me nuts. I have a hard time to read the french manuals..!!!

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:58 AM   #48

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Buying an American car isn't exactly as pro-american as you might think. An article in the Wall Street Journal reported that most American cars are built form parts manufactured outside of the U.S. In some states, 90 percent of all jobs are sales clerks (i.e. Wall-Mart). The good old days of American factory towns are long over. Globalization isn't a philosophy, its simply the way things worked out.

Jack
Old 12-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #49

I just returned from the National RV Show and was impressed with the numbers attending the show. This was my 43rd year displaying at the show, which was down in size by 25-30% in my opinion. As far as the foreign attendence from China it appeared to be much higher. They come to the show for one reason only and that is to DUPLICATE PRODUCTS AND ACCESSORIES FOR THE RV MARKET WHICH PUTS ANOTHER COMPANY HERE OUT OF BUSINESS. The US will never be able to compete with products from china. The only way is to put heavy duties on their products. I have been forced to buy certain items from China to keep up with my competitor who uses China parts. The wages of workers at the plants in China are as low as $0.25 Per Hour. We may be to late trying to demand anything from China due to the money we have borrowed.......

Just my opinions
duncan1
Old 12-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #50

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac1 View Post
I hope I do not see Chineese or Mexican motor homes in our borders. I am sure a lot of the parts are being made there now. Such as ford diesel engines were made in Indy and now they are are made in Mexico. I wonder who will buy all this stuff in mass quantities. I sure am glad to be retired, I think?
International Truck and Engine built motors for Ford under contract. The disagreements over who should pay for the warranty claims on the 6.0 liter engines International supplied to Ford was what killed that contract. Ford decided to go it alone, design and build their own diesel engine, and build them in an existing Ford plant in Mexico.

It was not the workmanship on the engine that killed that contract, but the urination contest between Ford and Navistar. If you want to blame anyone, blame Navistar.

I say this as a proud owner of a 6.0 liter Power Stroke, built in Huntsville, Alabama.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #51

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
It's kind of like "which came firsts, the chicken or the egg". Did Walmart have China make all of that junk for them or did China take over most of the market by having our government give away all of the American jobs. If there are not American factories with American workers making American products, where do the retailers go?
When Sam Walton died, his heirs had little interest in running the day to day affairs of the company, they brought in people from the outside and gave them their marching orders, which were increase market share and reduce costs. Walmart will browbeat suppliers to get the best price, even when that price means shipping jobs overseas.

There have been several former suppliers to Walmart that no longer supply the chain because they refused to move their manufacturing overseas. Snapper, the lawn mower manufacturer is one of the suppliers that comes to mind.

So I blame Walmart. It is rare that I shop there, and I only shop there under protest. They are the only game in town.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #52
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray32539 View Post
It was not the workmanship on the engine that killed that contract, but the urination contest between Ford and Navistar. If you want to blame anyone, blame Navistar.
rray32539, You are omitting one critical and important factor in this equation. Ford wanted to be fully vertically integrated including the chassis, powertrain and body. Ford now controls its entire destiny, the powertrain as a whole and the complete vehicle now more than ever. For the first time, the vehicle comes under the entire domain of the Ford Motor Company. That's what it's all about. Contests aside, this has been Ford's focus through the years and when they were ready, they moved on this opportunity and implemented the new business model.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:37 AM   #53

America became an industrial giant in the late 1800's because we had the "necessary 3". Cheap labor, natural resources, low taxes.
Now we have expensive labor, abhor using our resources and tax the crap out of everything. We even invent mystical things to tax like "Carbon".
We've intentionally dumbed our children so we need to import engineering talent to contribute to what little is designed inside our borders. If it were not for Indian, Pakistani, Russian etc.immigrant engineers the US couldn't field a respectable team of engineers to design a buggy anymore.
We could field a whole bunch of Sports folks though..sport psycologist, sports managers, sports communication majors, sports physical therapists, etc.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:34 AM   #54
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackm View Post
Buying an American car isn't exactly as pro-american as you might think. An article in the Wall Street Journal reported that most American cars are built form parts manufactured outside of the U.S. In some states, 90 percent of all jobs are sales clerks (i.e. Wall-Mart). The good old days of American factory towns are long over. Globalization isn't a philosophy, its simply the way things worked out.

Jack
At one time we owned a Dodge one ton P/U, made in Mexico, a Camaro, made in Canada, a Chevrolet Aveo, made in Korea and a Toyota Corolla, made in California. The name plate means nothing anymore.

Inflated union contracts are part of the problem, but only part, and I don't believe the controlling factor. Just propose building or expanding anything, let alone a manufacturing facility. You've got to deal with the EPA, the DNR and every government agency starting with the local township board all the way up through the feds. By the time you get all the requisit permits and variances, you've got years and, in some cases, millions invested, just to get 'permission' to build a job creating enterprise somewhere on US soil. Now you've got to deal with a maze of regulations, everything from how many urinals you must have, to compliance with the disabilities/access requirements. Or -- I can go to Mexico and start construction tomorrow.

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:30 AM   #55

I have mixed emotions on foreign vs. American made. Most of the components, ie refrigerator, stove, stereo, microwave, etc. are foreign made for my travel trailer & more than likely for your American made motorhome.

So far, the only problems I have had with my travel trailer have been related to deplorable workmanship by the 'Amish craftsmen' that the factory touts as building their units. I did not make friends when I told their customer service rep that they should be embarrased to put out such an inferior product. The company is deservedly in the process of being bought out by another co.

As far as cars, I've been burned just too many times by American made vehicles. I purchased a 14 year old Toyota Camry back when gas prices were a around $4 a gallon. I'd NEVER consider the purchase of any 14 year old American car. I purchased an extended factory warrantee for my tow vehicle, an '04 GMC Yukon XL & cannot imagine owning this vehicle once the warrantee expires & have every intention of selling it beforehand.

As I said in my opening statement I do have mixed emotions. I want to buy American but have very few options & have been disappointed in those products that are available. Wish I knew the answer. jodann
Old 12-18-2010, 06:31 AM   #56

China lead?

Everything they ship to us has had lead in it, paints, toys, food is tainted, baby formula, pet food, did you know that there is only one company now that processes apple juices? Martinelli of California, the other name brands have China process their apple juice, what are they putting in it? whats going to be wrong with their motor homes? Why would anyone buy something like that from a communist nation bent on our destruction? We have plenty of good motor home makers here with American jobs. I myself, don't buy Chinese products unless I have to.

Tags
china, chinese rv, horvath, yutong bus