Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > RV Industry Press
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Chinese-Built U.S. Motorhome Now ‘On Hold’

Chinese-Built U.S. Motorhome Now ‘On Hold’

By: RV Business

October 26, 2010 , Zhengzhou, China, -- China’s Yutong Bus Co. has put “on hold” its plan to build the En Route, a Class A motorhomes for the U.S. market.

In an e-mail from Bill Horvath, project manager for the Motorhome Division, Horvath stated, “This Tuesday morning (China time) the management team of Yutong Bus Co. announced it has decided to place further development of Class A motorhomes for the North America markets ‘on hold.’

Continue reading .....

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #2

We don't need more American jobs "outsourced". Ya, I know it's not quite the same as moving an American company to China, however, anyone who would buy a Chinese MH would be helping to eliminate a job in the U.S.A.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:43 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm not a very GLOBAL person,,,, Tell the Chinese to shove'em!
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RovinOn View Post
I'm not a very GLOBAL person,,,, Tell the Chinese to shove'em!
I could just imagine the quality control of that RV. They can't make anything else that lasts or performs like it is supposed to.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They used to say that about Japanese too.
It surprises me that they were planning to buy from many of the same vendors and engines that American OEMs are using.
I'm also surprised they think there are enough Chinese (or American for that matter) people who would pay $200,000 for a 250HP- 275HP diesel pusher from a new Chinese mfgr.
After seeing the quality cars, trucks and engines that the Japanese can build, I'd look at a new Chinese MH. Competition makes every body work harder.
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:07 AM   #6

Globalization is happening, regardless of how anyone feels about it. I suspect this Chinese RV will be built, and it will be imported into the US. As mentioned above, they have the capacity to achieve the desired quality. My only wish is that that the Chinese government is not allowed to get away with the same sort of currency manipulation that Japan has been doing forever. This, along with import restrictions unfair to US products, is a significant factor in how Japan achieved its growth. The importance of an artificially low Yen can be seen in the complaining of Japanese automakers over the recent increase in the Yen value.

This is definitely not intended to be a rant; just stating the facts.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
On the other hand, if Honda or Toyota ever built a MH, I wonder what the quality would be like..... See HERE.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
George, you are absolutely correct,,,Globalization is happening! But I donate as little as possible to the cause! It's tough to buy
American but I do my darndest and have never driven anything but an American vehicle. And I've have never had a complaint with any of them.
But as everything else if the Chinese start importing these things there will be many Americans I'm sure that will have to have one for some reason or another.
Americans are their own worst enemies, too many jobs have been lost because of this and until we make AMERICA No#1 priority again,,, nothing is going to change! I'm very saddened by this.
I would not even step into a showroom to look at one of these things!
Not to get into a rant here but just my thoughts.

Regards,
RovinOn / Craig
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:59 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was considering buying a scooter to use while camping and was pointed to a internet retailer out of Calif, I believe. Prices seemed great.

They never mentioned where the product was built, but I suspected China.

I found a discussion forum rating and reviewing the products this company sold. And 90% or more of the comments were of extremely poor manufacturing quality and lack of resolution by the reseller here. Very few satisfied customers.

I'll look elsewhere.
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:02 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A temporary reprieve. Without protective trade tariffs and enforced requirements that currency of a supplier country float at market levels our economy is doomed and our national security is seriously at risk due to the loss of production facilities and people with required skill sets. But then again we will have inexpensive stuff although our kids will have to live with us forever since $8 bucks an hours won't let them do otherwise. There never has been anything fair about unrestricted fair trade, IMHO. Quality of Chinese products keeps getting better. However, I prefer American made for many reasons. Sorry about this rant but it is relevant to the topic of this thread.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:40 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
china mh

my montana corporate news letter says winnegabo is hiring more workers and uping production. i have an itasca meridian 06 mh and love it. it's not a newell, provost, or foretravel but it is nice. i bought it used since i didn't have enough ink in my pen to buy one of the 3 above.
i certainly would not purchase a mh imported from china, since i want all rv mfgs. to keep on going. it's hard enough for them to stay in business with the economy. i feel it an honor to drive my american made motorhome.

boyce and lisa
06 meridian 39k
06 jeep unltd tow
Old 10-27-2010, 07:57 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There aren't any Chinese built autos for sale in the US that I know of. Why would they consider entering the US market with a RV before testing the waters with an auto?

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:20 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
On the other hand, if Honda or Toyota ever built a MH, I wonder what the quality would be like..... See HERE.

Rusty
Look at the sorry cars the big 3 were building in the 1960's and 1970's before Honda and Toyota started shipping cars here. It made Detroit sit up and start to do a better job. Finally Ford and I believe Chevy both have cars that are close to the Hondas and Toyotas.

It would be interesting to see Honda and Toyota enter the RV market. It might be what we really need....a hard pill to swallow.

After the sorry service I got from our Chrysler Sebring, it was replaced with a Toyota Camry.

Ken
Old 10-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #14

The number one most American vehicle is the Toyoto Camry and number two is the Honda Accord. That came from a study of all vehicles sold in America that were made in America by American workers and made with American parts. Nobody asked about this but I thought I'd throw it in.

I will never buy a motorhome made in China. What if I needed to take it back to the plant for repairs?

Tags
china, chinese rv, horvath, yutong bus