Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > RV Industry Press
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:35 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The "new" CAT C7 RV engine has been dialed up to 360 HP @ 925 HP. This I am told was basically a software setting however the new C7 with ACERT has numerous mechanical improvements as well.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2008, 07:15 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
The Cummins ISL has been increased from 400 to 425. My understanding is these hp increases are because of retuning with and for the new fuel.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:27 AM   #17

The recognized ratio for weight to HP is 1 hp per 100 pounds
With a 55,000lbs coach with a 10,000lbs hitch or 65,000lbs gross possible, would require a 650 hp engine ....see simple eh
Dennis
pipedream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:00 AM   #18

Mid Atlantic Campers
I guess that is why my Cat C-7 350hp works so well in my 32,000lb FL chasis. Plenty of power for towing the car too. And a bit over 8mpg. I'm happy.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:41 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I looked at a American Heritage at the Rally in Perry with a 600 in it. Wow what a monster. Nice coach, nice price! Just a tad deeper than my wallet.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:44 PM   #20

Old saying if they build it someone will buy it
Old 05-22-2008, 04:20 AM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
The Tim Taylor "tool time" syndrome hits everywhere....more power....more power.

Yes, it's a situation where one would ask "is it really needed" and so on, but those folks aren't the ones the manufacturers are looking to sell these behomoth coaches to....
There will always be a market for every line of coach, whether it's a gas puller, or a diesel pusher and lots of things in between...

What I feel you'll see is the Prevost boys will soon abandon those Series 60 Detroits.... Z. X
The Series 60 Detroit and the Cummins ISX (600) currently advertise similar torque versus HP ratios...

With the 650, Cummins pulls out front of Detroit Diesel......for now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahead of the curve.

I'm not a series 60 fan at all. The reasons are for another discussion.
PREVOST will not abandone Detroit, Detriot will and has abandoned PREVOST.
By 2010 ALL Prevost coaches will be manufactured with VOLVO bus power plants.
Same goes for anyone else using the coach developed and sized engine. It will not be available.
All production of this engine will be dedicated to the manufacture of the SETRA commercial coach.
Prevost is in the process of training techs on the rushed to develop VOLVO coach motor.
SETRA/Detroit and PREVOST/VOLVO are manufactured by the same families.
MMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:25 AM   #22

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
The Tim Taylor "tool time" syndrome hits everywhere....more power....more power.

Yes, it's a situation where one would ask "is it really needed" and so on, but those folks aren't the ones the manufacturers are looking to sell these behomoth coaches to....
There will always be a market for every line of coach, whether it's a gas puller, or a diesel pusher and lots of things in between...

What I feel you'll see is the Prevost boys will soon abandon those Series 60 Detroits.... Z. X
The Series 60 Detroit and the Cummins ISX (600) currently advertise similar torque versus HP ratios...

With the 650, Cummins pulls out front of Detroit Diesel......for now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahead of the curve.

I'm not a series 60 fan at all. The reasons are for another discussion.
PREVOST will not abandone Detroit, Detriot will and has abandoned PREVOST.
By 2010 ALL Prevost coaches will be manufactured with VOLVO bus power plants.
Same goes for anyone else using the coach developed and sized engine. It will not be available.
All production of this engine will be dedicated to the manufacture of the SETRA commercial coach.
Prevost is in the process of training techs on the rushed to develop VOLVO coach motor.
SETRA/Detroit and PREVOST/VOLVO are manufactured by the same families.
Todays milage programs center on high torque low rpm's for better overall milage. With increased torque you get increased horse power in the curve.
Torque = starting, get going power.
Horse Power = Speed.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:52 AM   #23
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Old saying if they build it someone will buy it Laugh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They don't even have to build it.

Just look at all the after market add ons/modifications for more power, and all the folks that want their diesel ECU uprated to maximum power.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:35 PM   #24

It is the D-13 VOLVO Diesel that will replace the SERIES-60 DETROIT in ALL PREVOST busses by the year 2010.
DETROITS will be used only in DAMLIER products.

The VOLVO GROUP umbrella covers VOLVO BUS and VOLVO HEAVY-DUTY DIESEL.

VOLVO is the largest manufacture of heavy duty diesels in the world.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:48 PM   #25

We went through the horsepower race in the very early 70s. Some of the West Coast Semi tractors were close to 500 horsepower. When diesel prices went up to $.30 a gallon, the horsepower race ended and actually went down. I guess that if you can afford a 650 HP engine and the coach that goes with it, you do not worry about fuel prices. Personally, I like my Cummings engine (370 HP) that gets 9.6 mpg when I drive 58 to 62 mph.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote