Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > RV Industry Press
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:59 AM   #1
Administrator Emeritus

Cummins Introduces New 650-hp Diesel Engine for Premium Motorhomes

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Nov. 27, 2007) - Cummins Inc. (NYSE:CMI) today introduced a new 650-hp diesel engine for luxury motorhomes, the ISX 650, at the RVIA (Recreational Vehicle Industry Association) show. The ISX 650, with 1950 lb-ft of torque, represents a new level of performance in the premium motorhome market.

The Cummins ISX delivers superior performance through the use of its in-house core technologies, including Cummins advanced electronic controls, patented VG Turbo, high-pressure fuel system, combustion technology and exhaust aftertreatment. The new ISX 650 is fully integrated with the Allison 4000 MH model automatic transmission. The Allison 4000 MH model is rated up to 650 horsepower and 1950 lb-ft of torque. This rating and transmission integration demonstrates the ongoing collaborative efforts between Cummins and Allison Transmission.

According to Mark Conover, Cummins Director - RV Business, "We've listened to motorhome customers and understand that horsepower and performance are top of mind. The ISX 650 will provide exceptional acceleration, improved ability to climb steep grades, better downhill speed restraint with superior braking horsepower and all-around first-rate performance."

Cummins Inc., a global power leader, is a corporation of complementary business units that design, manufacture, distribute and service engines and related technologies, including fuel systems, controls, air handling, filtration, emission solutions and electrical power generation systems. Headquartered in Columbus, Indiana (USA), Cummins serves customers in more than 160 countries through its network of 550 company-owned and independent distributor facilities and more than 5,000 dealer locations. Cummins reported net income of $715 million on sales of $11.4 billion in 2006.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2007, 03:59 AM   #2
Administrator Emeritus

Cummins Introduces New 650-hp Diesel Engine for Premium Motorhomes

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Nov. 27, 2007) - Cummins Inc. (NYSE:CMI) today introduced a new 650-hp diesel engine for luxury motorhomes, the ISX 650, at the RVIA (Recreational Vehicle Industry Association) show. The ISX 650, with 1950 lb-ft of torque, represents a new level of performance in the premium motorhome market.

The Cummins ISX delivers superior performance through the use of its in-house core technologies, including Cummins advanced electronic controls, patented VG Turbo, high-pressure fuel system, combustion technology and exhaust aftertreatment. The new ISX 650 is fully integrated with the Allison 4000 MH model automatic transmission. The Allison 4000 MH model is rated up to 650 horsepower and 1950 lb-ft of torque. This rating and transmission integration demonstrates the ongoing collaborative efforts between Cummins and Allison Transmission.

According to Mark Conover, Cummins Director - RV Business, "We've listened to motorhome customers and understand that horsepower and performance are top of mind. The ISX 650 will provide exceptional acceleration, improved ability to climb steep grades, better downhill speed restraint with superior braking horsepower and all-around first-rate performance."

Cummins Inc., a global power leader, is a corporation of complementary business units that design, manufacture, distribute and service engines and related technologies, including fuel systems, controls, air handling, filtration, emission solutions and electrical power generation systems. Headquartered in Columbus, Indiana (USA), Cummins serves customers in more than 160 countries through its network of 550 company-owned and independent distributor facilities and more than 5,000 dealer locations. Cummins reported net income of $715 million on sales of $11.4 billion in 2006.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:40 AM   #3

I wonder when the horsepower escalating wars will come to a halt with the price of fuel hovering around at any one time between three and four dollars a gallon.
But I suppose if you can afford one of those coaches that has one of those mega-power plants that's probably the least of your concerns. Ed.S
Old 12-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Personaly, I think it's rediculous.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:59 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
It wasn't that long ago, the diesel pushers were driving around with placards on the back advertising the engines in the rigs as being 260 and 275 HP. Remember those rigs also had the 4 speed Allison transmission

Of course, those motorhomes didn't weigh 40-50,000 lbs like the big ones today with the monster motors.

I also agree the engine size is getting a bit overboard, but you know boys with toys....someones always got to be the person with the biggest on the block, so if folks keep buying them, the manufacturers will keep making them.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

The Tim Taylor "tool time" syndrome hits everywhere....more power....more power.

My LADB with the ISX 600HP weighed 54K and some change wet and with everything that's being added to these coaches of late, I can see the manufacturers wanting to add more HP.

Yes, it's a situation where one would ask "is it really needed" and so on, but those folks aren't the ones the manufacturers are looking to sell these behomoth coaches to....
There will always be a market for every line of coach, whether it's a gas puller, or a diesel pusher and lots of things in between...

What I feel you'll see is the Prevost boys will soon abandon those Series 60 Detroits in favor of this Cummins rocket...
The Series 60 Detroit and the Cummins ISX (600) currently advertise similar torque versus HP ratios...

With the 650, Cummins pulls out front of Detroit Diesel......for now.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:34 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I saw one of these on a Travel Supreme, quite impressive.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:46 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Lenny, not sure where you may have seen the 650HP in a Travel Supreme unit as I believe the Select Limited is still using the ISX 600HP model.

Let me know if that's changed...
Old 12-10-2007, 08:45 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I wonder what it would take to up grade the ISX 600 to the 650? I wonder if it's a change in the air box/exhaust setup, or if it's just computer tuning? Wondering minds need to know...
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:38 PM   #10

Anyone want to play with the math? My 1932 Chevrolet weighs 1640#(give or take passengers), with a 26HP engine. How does that compare to a Prevost with the ISX650?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:41 AM   #11

and I thought that there was a speed limit on roads
Ice-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:28 AM   #12

Regardless....it is still a gross weight to power ratio....up the weight up the power...
Doug1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:13 PM   #13

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
like Tim Taylor says . I need more power!!!!!!!
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Most all of the upgrades to power are done these days with the changing of the software program in the ECM. Computers dominate all the vehicles these days. And the size and weight dosen't necessarily mean worse fuel economy.

Case in point is my ISB in my rig. It is a 2006 rated at 300HP and 660ft lbs of torque. But it is getting about 1.5 BETTER MPG than my 2004 Dually Cummins did which was rated 325 HP and 600ft lbs. The dually and 5ver were about #8000 lbs lighter than the MH and Jeep toad.

Its all in the software program and the gearing of the trans. The manufactures can do real wonders with the right combinations.

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote